How old were you when you found your love for books?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
justmarielyn
Currently Reading: The Wuthering Heights
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Re: How old were you when you found your love for books?

Post by justmarielyn »

my first read was when I was 17. a classmate of mine let me borrowed her book. as I recall, i asked her if she had some books/novels i could read on and recommended me a book titled "The Almighty". It's kind of funny, because in that book was my first time I learned the word "coffin".
But I started reading more when I was at college since some of my classmates recommended me books or I just read what they read.
readingnow93
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by readingnow93 »

I was eight years old. My father had a huge library, he lent me a couple of books I wanted to read and assigned a shelf that was mine only, and I’ve loved books since.
Rosemary Wright
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Author: Sydney Sheldon
Favorite Book: Spanky
Currently Reading: Culture Man
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-wright.html
Latest Review: Gods Whisper Always Near by Sharon Williams
Reading Device: Android

Post by Rosemary Wright »

My love for reading books manifested at the age of six.
RJWaugh
Favorite Author: Christine Feehan
Currently Reading: The Word Collector
Bookshelf Size: 441
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rjwaugh.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD
fav_author_id: 2573

Post by RJWaugh »

I was about 7 when I discovered my love for reading. I was falling behind in class and my teacher gave me a huge reading assignment. I was grounded in my room, so I just started reading. I was hooked! Reading became my escape for many years. In high school, as a punishment, my parents would make me pack my books away and ground me from reading until my grades were better. I was reading everything but my school books and my homework wasn't getting done!
SPasciuti
Favorite Author: Marissa Meyer
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 46410">The Wendy</a>
Currently Reading: Cinder
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spasciuti.html
Latest Review: Samuel by Samuel kidstar
fav_author_id: 2388

Post by SPasciuti »

I was six years old, at least that I can remember. I have a feeling that I was probably younger, but it's hard to recall back to my Kindergarden days. I just know that when I was in first grade I was powering through chapter books at a sixth grade level. It's funny, because all my teachers were vastly impressed with me and I just remember thinking that I wanted to read another book rather than pay attention in class.
uyky
Favorite Author: Charles de Lint
Currently Reading: Tapping the Dream Tree
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uyky.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
fav_author_id: 6861

Post by uyky »

I was around 7 or 8. It was in second grade of primary school and it fed my fantasies about impossible. It still does.
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

I actually hated reading for the longest time, but that is probably because I couldn't read until the fourth grade. So for the longest time I felt dumb and poorly about myself for that fact. After I graduated high school everything changed, I read all of the Harry Potter books in two weeks. Since then I haven't been able to get enough books and I will give most books a chance. It definitely made my eyes open to the ideas, escape, and education reading can give you. I am grateful for words and the many feelings and images they conger.
westernwriter
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by westernwriter »

I know that I was eleven. I made a huge mistake by ordering books by mail, without my mother's permission. Have had a strong relationship with written materials all my 77 years.
Whippet
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-whippet.html
Latest Review: "Bleeding Gull - look, feel, fly" by Raed Anis Aljishi

Post by Whippet »

My mum says I learned to read very early, around age 2-3. I can't remember learning - I only know that I always felt I could read, never struggled! So I guess that's why reading feels so natural, as much a part of my routine as eating, especially when I was growing up. So my answer is, I found the love of reading before I remember doing so :)
Latest Review: "Bleeding Gull - look, feel, fly" by Raed Anis Aljishi
marieelise08
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marieelise08.html
Latest Review: "Sigfried&rsquo;s Smelly Socks!" by Len Foley

Post by marieelise08 »

I was ten years old when I started to read a book by Edith Hamilton. I read it from cover to cover. I was starting to write at that time so it influenced my writing style greatly. It is about mythology mainly Greek and Roman and a little of Norse.
Latest Review: "Sigfried&rsquo;s Smelly Socks!" by Len Foley
Cassidyfairen
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Cassidyfairen »

I was 10 years old when I discovered my love of reading. I read books before since I came from a house full of readers but I read a Dear America book and I just fell in love and never stopped reading.
CNWaweru
Currently Reading: The Sound of Thunder
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cnwaweru.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by CNWaweru »

18. I didn't read much in my early years until I consciously decided to immerse myself in books and ended up loving it.
Reading is dreaming with your eyes open. :techie-studyinggray:
Maggie G
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggie-g.html
Latest Review: Andalusian in Jerusalem by Mois benarroch

Post by Maggie G »

I think I was 6 or 7 when I started reading a lot. My reading tastes have mostly stayed the same, although I read more nonfiction as an adult.
kastle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kastle.html
Latest Review: Going to Wings by Sandra Worsham

Post by kastle »

Probably since I was 3 years old. Always had a love for it.
Catia
Favorite Book: Godsgrave
Currently Reading: The priest of blood
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catia.html
Latest Review: Pancake Money by Finn Bell
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Catia »

I remember a day in school, I think I was 6 or 7, when the teacher made me read aloud a couple paragraphs of a story and then asking me how many times I read it at home because I was so fluent. I honesty didn't read at all at home but I lied and said one time. She didn't believe me, she said it was more. Nope, reading came natural to me.
But the first book I really fell in love with was "The Hounds Of The Morrigan" by Pat O'Shea. I was 11 and it was the first time that my mother let me pick a book all on my own and said to me that it was too big for me and that if I wouldn't finish it, she would never buy me books again.
I finished the book long before my mother ever imagined and she didn't want to buy another book so soon. Since then when someone asked me what I wished for my birthday or Christmas, my answer was always the same: books!😁

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”