How old were you when you found your love for books?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
The BookWorm Nagham
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-bookworm-nagham.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Re: How old were you when you found your love for books?

Post by The BookWorm Nagham »

Around 5-6 I used to beg my mother to read me books every night. And when I started fluently reading I always had a book in my hands. Books offer an escape, they're the perfect friend for an inverted person.
AlainaElric
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110

Post by AlainaElric »

I always had a love for reading, since before I was in kindergarten. It grew exponentially of course, when I was nine years old when I had more access to books from school. I ended up practically living in the school and (when it was finished) public library. They always recommended new books for me to read (and a lot of the time they were right), and I always suggested (as they asked) books to add.
My absolute favorite first series was T.A. Barron's The Lost Years of Merlin series, a book series in which the first three were given to me for Christmas just before I turned ten by my new adopted brother. Ever since then I've been hassled to do much else but read. I did take up martial arts for that reason but even then I was reading about the history of the lineage, how the style was formed, about the weaponry of that time, and the language (in this case, Japanese) that we actually used.
When I was nine I also gained an interest in writing. I eventually turned a one-paged paper my older (bio half) brother and I worked on when we spent a very rare night sleeping over into a 70-odd paged book that I wasn't finished writing. Unfortunately during a move it got water damage and it was my only copy (written, of all manners of documentation, as I didn't have much access to a computer).
I then used writing as a culminating project (something that had to be completed and passed early in the senior year to graduate), because my teachers all insisted I stopped spending so much time reading and writing (yes my school work was completed, it was always completed early).... I thought, they weren't allowed to sabotage my love for literacy then... I was wrong, but at least I gave it a shot. I turned the culminating project (532-paged book) eventually into a trilogy after my senior year. Meanwhile I found many wonderful books that taught me so much, and showed me worlds I often wished I could visit.
Teh mm yy
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Teh mm yy »

well 6 I guess..
pinefamily
Currently Reading: Magician
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by pinefamily »

My earliest memories are of being read bedtime stories. By the time I learned to read, I think I knew those bedtime stories of Robin Hood, Zorro, and Davy Crockett among others off by heart.
As a virtual only child, books were a huge part of growing up.
Mailis
Currently Reading: The Employee Millionaire
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mailis.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Mailis »

I was four. And I read everything and anything that I could get my hands on. My mom used to yell at me to get out and play in the yard or something and stop reading for a while for gods sake before i go blind.
Prasitha Suresh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Prasitha Suresh »

When I was 7 or something,I don't remember what the book was.But I remember being so fascinated that I recited the story to my parents.
Sorchadorcha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sorchadorcha.html
Latest Review: "Diary of a Snoopy Cat" by R.F. Kristi

Post by Sorchadorcha »

Ever since I could read. My mom read to me until I was around 6 and from then on I took charge and my passion for reading grew.
Latest Review: "Diary of a Snoopy Cat" by R.F. Kristi
Rattyhatty
Favorite Author: Mercedes Lackey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rattyhatty.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter
fav_author_id: 2531

Post by Rattyhatty »

I've always had something of an obsession when it comes to reading. But it only came to head around grade 4. I found 'BeastMaster's Quest' by Andre Norton and Lyn McConchie. That book will always have a fond place in my heart.
Jeyasivananth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeyasivananth.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Jeyasivananth »

I loved reading books from a very young age. My initial favorites were book by Jules Verne, Charles Dickens and Enid Blyton.
nosdeprof
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by nosdeprof »

I was 6 when I flair for books.

It's really lovely and exciting
Booknerd222
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Booknerd222 »

I think I was around 7 when I found my love for reading, but my parents always tell me I used to chew on books whenIwas younger and that's why I love to read so much.
kristinajoy07
Currently Reading: Twisted Threads
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by kristinajoy07 »

My mom hates to read, but she constantly read to me when I was small, and I am forever grateful for that. I remember crying to my mom because I was frustrated that i couldn’t read yet!
Camille Turner
Currently Reading: Angela's Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-camille-turner.html
Latest Review: Hippocrates and The Hobgoblin: The Sedes Infernum by C.S. Colvin

Post by Camille Turner »

I have loved books as long as I can remember. My mom tells me that as a toddler, I would sit and listen to her read books for hours and demand that she reread the same ones until I had memorized it and could "read" (more like recite badly!) it to her. From about 5 or 6 years old, I said I wanted to be a writer. Now, I'm 26 and that dream has come true. My biggest wish is that my future kids will find the same love of reading that I have my whole life!
RLDunnAuthor
Currently Reading: Heartaches
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by RLDunnAuthor »

About age eight.
SparklesonPages
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 211
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sparklesonpages.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by SparklesonPages »

I must have been 6 or 7 but I remember being that kid who was always in a corner with a book. I loved it then and still do now.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”