How old were you when you found your love for books?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Lazaszeret39
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lazaszeret39.html

Re: How old were you when you found your love for books?

Post by Lazaszeret39 »

8 years old
Sree Chinta
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sree-chinta.html

Post by Sree Chinta »

I found my love for books when I was 8 years old. During the Summer of 3rd grade, I read a 100 page book every day after discovering the Geronimo Stilton series.
carlyjenniifer

Post by carlyjenniifer »

My mom actually jokes that I was born reading. I LOVED being read to as a kid until I finally learned how to read on my own. It's always been a part of my life. I remember when I was around 6 that I loved this book so much I would re-read it over and over. That's probably the first time I loved reading on my own - it's been a part of me since forever though.
474lizzie

Post by 474lizzie »

I kept having spells in 7,8, and 9 grade but peer pressure and lack of knowledge drove me away until 10 grade when my librarians and librarians me under their wing it was wonderful
Beloved2615
Favorite Book: Withering Heights

Post by Beloved2615 »

I have been reading for a long time, when I was a child I would read aloud to myself. (My parents didn't read to me) I learned right away that reading, even the little children books, took me to a better place for a while. I grew up using reading as an escape when my life wasn't doing so great, I would read. So I am thinking I started reading about age 5? Of course those were just the one sentence page picture books but I knew then that reading was something I would do a lot of in my life.
lincolnp

Post by lincolnp »

I was about 8 when I really got hooked on reading. I was reading Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain. I think I read that book 3 or 4 times that summer. That's when the library became my world. I am sure my mom recognized the signs, my oldest sister is a book worm as well.
E-Frapp
Favorite Author: Hemingway - King
Favorite Book: A Moveable Feast
Currently Reading: Doctor Sleep
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-frapp.html

Post by E-Frapp »

Around 7. As soon as I read a chapter book I was hooked.
Where will you be in a year?
MaragothThorn
Favorite Author: GK Chesterton
Favorite Book: Father Elijah by Michael D. OBrien
Currently Reading: Skin by Ted Dekker
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maragoththorn.html
Latest Review: "Bad Endings" by David Bussell

Post by MaragothThorn »

I was around 6 or 7. I went into my school's library and read both Wayside School Is Falling Down and The Adventures of Tom Sawyer,introducing me to the world of literature and my current book addiction.
Latest Review: "Bad Endings" by David Bussell
pretzelsnow
Favorite Author: Lynn Austin
Favorite Book: Long Time Coming by Edie Claire
Currently Reading: Silas Marner by George Elliot
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pretzelsnow.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 7595

Post by pretzelsnow »

I found my real love and passion for books at the age of 10/11 and I have been reading ever since.
When all think alike, no one is thinking very much.
— Walter Lippmann
lolripops
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lolripops.html

Post by lolripops »

probably 14.
ladiibug

Post by ladiibug »

To be honest I fell in love with books in my early 20s. I started one night while working a 3rd shift. It was a pretty decent size book. I finished it the same night. Then I started on a new one that same night. Every since then I have been reading books. I am now in my early 30s.
bookreaderrme
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookreaderrme.html

Post by bookreaderrme »

I have a sister who is 3 years older than me. When I was very young, she would practice her reading on me. I learned how to read at age 4 and have been an avid reader since then. So when I became a mother, I did a "pay it forward" and read to my daughter every night from birth on. She is now 17 and an avid reader. When I see all the trouble that teenagers can get into in this day and age, I'm happy that my daughter would rather snuggle up with a great book than go shopping all the time or the other unwholesome temptations of today's teenagers like drinking, sex, violence etc.
lovablegeek123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lovablegeek123.html

Post by lovablegeek123 »

I always loved hearing books, stuff my mom or sister would read me. It always made me happy. When I got old enough to read, say about 7 or 8 I always was stuck somewhere shopping with my mom and sister. That's really where I discovered my love for reading.
Lilapo9
Favorite Author: Diane Duane
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 29675">The Ministry of Cantors</a>
Currently Reading: Handbook for Cantors
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lilapo9.html
Latest Review: "Memory of Miracles" by Beth Durkee
Reading Device: B00EM3WGYY
fav_author_id: 4363

Post by Lilapo9 »

I remember my love for reading started taking off right at first grade so I had to be about six or seven. Our teacher had us in animal groups and we had to read each book in a group before we could progress up to the next group. I was a bit competitive in nature at that time and in my quest to get from point A to point B I fell in love with reading.
Latest Review: "Memory of Miracles" by Beth Durkee
mayaamayy
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mayaamayy.html

Post by mayaamayy »

Around 8 or 9

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”