Would you pick up a trilogy you knew wasn't complete?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
SWilder
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Would you pick up a trilogy you knew wasn't complete?

Post by SWilder »

Of course. I'm writing a trilogy that is incomplete. :) Hard to tell how far a story is going to go when you first begin it.
amaranthine1987

Post by amaranthine1987 »

I don't mind reading a trilogy that isn't complete. Many series of books that I have read over the years, there's never been any sort of opportunity for me to finish them. I can think of one particular book that was intended to be a series, but was never written beyond just the first stand alone novel. It makes me sad, especially when I wholeheartedly fall in love with something, but again, each author is different.
torriesu

Post by torriesu »

No I would not. I like to be able to read something quickly one after the other and not wait months on end.
bookmom90

Post by bookmom90 »

I do love it when I start reading a series that is already finished. However, I find that it is also a little fun waiting for the last book to come out!
Niknak9306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-niknak9306.html

Post by Niknak9306 »

I do it all the time and don't mind the wait. I have a bad habit of starting a series, reading a couple books, then starting a different series only to go back and finish the first later. I enjoy the excitement of stumbling across the "new" book in a series when I'm not looking.
raziel

Post by raziel »

yes, i would..actually the first book's appeal is the most important feature of a trilogy to me
Smokey
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smokey.html

Post by Smokey »

I have picked up the first book in a trilogy that was not completed, and as long as the book is good, well, even if the author doesn't write any more, it provided me with a good read. That doesn't mean, however, that I don't get very disappointed if a good trilogy is goes unfinished. And it is wonderful if the trilogy is really good if the other books are already published, so I don't have to wait to find out what happens. What is worse to me is to start reading a trilogy that is soooo good, then rush on to the next book in the volume (or the last) and discover these are not nearly up to the standard of the first book.
comfort80
Currently Reading: Dragonfly in Amber
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-comfort80.html

Post by comfort80 »

yes i would if the description was interesting enough or it was a topic i was interested in.
tuezdayrachel

Post by tuezdayrachel »

I have in the past read trilogies and series that were not complete, and let me tell you, I bite my nails waiting for the next book to come out! It make reading that much more interesting to me! That being said, I read the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo books, and I really wish the author's girlfriend would finish the manuscript of the fourth novel and publish it on the author's behalf, posthumously of course.
ariana_e1

Post by ariana_e1 »

Of course! I always do that! It sucks big time when you have to wait forever for the next ones to come out and you are stuck in your own mind thinking of all the different scenarios that could happen to the characters, but at the same time thats also fun to do! And, if its not complete, there is less of a chance for the next books in the series to be spoiled for you! Also, would you really want to miss out on a good series just because it wasn't complete? What would happen if you forgot about the series and you missed an amazing series? If you read the series, you could get your friends hooked on it and you guys could both freak out together.
ryoku
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ryoku.html

Post by ryoku »

If possible I like to marathon series and trilogies but I still like to read it even if it is not completed yet. It drives me crazy waiting but it is part of the fun.
Readingislife
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readingislife.html

Post by Readingislife »

i do, if the book is good i go ahead and read it even if the others aren't out yet. it is a little frustrating having to wait for the next one of the book is especially good (also those that end on cliffhangers are the worst!) but i have learned to be patient and wait on it by reading other books for the time being.
fari30
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fari30.html

Post by fari30 »

A lot of books that I read, the whole series hasn't been completed yet. However, for some reason, I always happen to start a series when only one book is left to come out. So, I read the rest and wait for the last one to come out! It's fun! For example, I read Divergent and Insurgent last year and then waited for Allegiant to come out. I read Selection and Elite and waited for the One to come out, I read the whole Mortal Instruments series and waited for COHF to come out!!
My weekend is all booked!
Tammy23

Post by Tammy23 »

I do it all the time. Although I do hate having to wait on the up and coming books, I love how my mind wonders off trying to figure out how the trilogy will end.
that_bek_girl
Favorite Author: Nora Roberts
Favorite Book: And then there were none
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-that-bek-girl.html
fav_author_id: 3258

Post by that_bek_girl »

I have mixed feelings on this topic....I like to read them all together, so I hate when they aren't finished. But I don't buy them b together generally unless it is an established author that I already love.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”