Do you read the last page first?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Angela Stripes
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 04073">The Savage Damsel and the Dwarf</a>
Currently Reading: A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angela-stripes.html
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka

Re: Do you read the last page first?

Post by Angela Stripes »

I used to always do that!! Then it became something to reassure myself with only if a character I liked was in mortal danger. The last time I did that was my first read through of Jane Eyre a few months ago.
Afuglsan
Currently Reading: The Masked City
Bookshelf Size: 5445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-afuglsan.html
Latest Review: "STARLESS and Bible Black" by Gerard DiLeo

Post by Afuglsan »

Sometimes. Occasionally I'm desperate enough in the middle of the book to read the last page just to be sure it all ends ok.
Latest Review: "STARLESS and Bible Black" by Gerard DiLeo
Angela Stripes
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 04073">The Savage Damsel and the Dwarf</a>
Currently Reading: A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angela-stripes.html

Post by Angela Stripes »

Afuglsan wrote:Sometimes. Occasionally I'm desperate enough in the middle of the book to read the last page just to be sure it all ends ok.
:ditto:
nfdaniel85
Currently Reading: A Sick Life
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nfdaniel85.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by nfdaniel85 »

Omg! This is blasphemous *clutches pearls*
LOL

I do Google the plot of movie sometimes though ha!
Camille Turner
Currently Reading: Angela's Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-camille-turner.html
Latest Review: Hippocrates and The Hobgoblin: The Sedes Infernum by C.S. Colvin

Post by Camille Turner »

No, never! What I will do, however, is if I'm nearing the end of a chapter and whatever is going on is just too suspenseful, I may sometimes skip to the end of the chapter to see if it gets resolved or not and then go back and read the earlier pages.
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

Never, I have been tempted though. In some situations it would have helped for me to check where the book ended and the excerpt/ sneak peak to the next book started. Its definitely disappointing to think you have more book and equally disappointing is it to not have or have to wait for the sequel.
toribyers13
Currently Reading: A Clash of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-toribyers13.html
Latest Review: What the River Wants by Arthur Byrd

Post by toribyers13 »

I don't! In fact, it's a weird pet peeve of mine to see someone doing this. I hate the idea of the surprise being ruined!
todwyer01
Currently Reading: From the Fatherland with love
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-todwyer01.html

Post by todwyer01 »

It depends I might read the last page if I get to excited and want to know in advance if a character is "killed off" I look to see if they appear at the end of the book, but you really should not do that with mystery books, especially Agatha Christie.

For those that have not yet read an Christie novel, most of her stories end (last page or so) with who the murderer is and what their motives were.
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

I don't even like reading the jacket synopsis for fear it provides too much information! I love to be completely surprised. I couldn't imagine reading the last page first.
rnraa99
Currently Reading: Call Me by Your Name
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by rnraa99 »

I’ve only read the last page of a book whenever I get too excited about reading a book or when the tension/conflict in the book is too much for me too handle. It gives me a sense of catharsis. 😂😂
DATo
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DATo »

Of course not. The author has written the book in the manner in which it is meant to be read. If the author wanted you to know the ending when you first open the book the author would present the last page first, if not, then it is MEANT to be read it in the chronology in which it is written. Sometimes the author DOES tell you the ending at the very beginning of the story, but that is the author's calculated intent and is choreographed in that manner for effect. Also, sometimes the ending is a surprise ending - one which you might not expect - and this is one of the things that makes the book good. Why run the risk of spoiling it, which, by the way, you won't realize you've already ruined until you have invested a lot of time reading?
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Masab Abdullah
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Masab Abdullah »

What is the use of reading the climax? It definitely destroys the fun
Haute_Coffee
Currently Reading: Pimp
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-haute-coffee.html
Latest Review: A Stone of Hope by Janet S. Kleinman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Haute_Coffee »

Noooooooo! I hate blurbs that give away too much or reviews with unmarked spoilers. I love a book that can surprise me.
Tbunde5
Favorite Book: A Column of Fire
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tbunde5.html
Latest Review: Kamel by Charles J Haubner III

Post by Tbunde5 »

The horror! I never read the end first. Otherwise why read the book at all if I already know how it ends? I do, however, always read a magazine from back to front. I do not know why-maybe satisfying that urge to peek?
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

Used to do when I was younger. But now I am always on the alert so that I don't open or don't scroll down to the last page even by mistake. Though one of my habits is to open a page in the middle at random, even before starting to read. I catch a few random sentences which at the time do not make any sense. Then after I start reading and eventually read those sentences, I recognise them and this time can understand their contexts. This is just a weird habit of mine.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”