What genre of books do you steer clear of, any why?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
teb569
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teb569.html

Re: What genre of books do you steer clear of, any why?

Post by teb569 »

I generally avoid erotica books because I think some things are sacred and private. A little romance and sexual tension can go a long way and some things are better left to the readers imagination. We already live in an oversexed world as it is I don't think explicit sexual content in books adds and value to writing.

Tenaya Jacob
Carole_37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carole-37.html

Post by Carole_37 »

I stay away from trillers. Never liked them. They scare me and then I can't sleep.
megan21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-megan21.html

Post by megan21 »

I try to stay away from action books. If there is an action scene I usually just scim it because no matter how hard I try I can't imagine the scene. Even when watching TV or movies I get distracted when there is and action scene.
Dfinity
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dfinity.html

Post by Dfinity »

Nonfiction history sounds about right to me. While I do enjoy a historical influence on books, I prefer the stories to be original and fresh, so I don't really like nonfiction very much.
P_hernandez
Currently Reading: Miss Peregrines Home For Peculiar Children
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p-hernandez.html
Latest Review: "Anna's Way" by D.F.Jones

Post by P_hernandez »

Sci-fi YA/post-apocalyptic/teen romance. And also installment books. The type of audience that sort of genre is written for does not make sense to me lol. I love The Hunger Games. I was into the Divergent series (until the end, I was into it.) but other books sometimes feel like they're sequels because a sequel will bring in more money. When everything is so dramatic in any type of those YA novels, it makes the experience not enjoyable to me. Sometimes I will come across a series I really get into (TID, Miss Peregrines Home...) but on the whole, I steer clear of things like that.
Latest Review: "Anna's Way" by D.F.Jones
jerrywuchte
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by jerrywuchte »

AS a history teacher I only read non-fiction and have a hard time investing my time in fantasy. I do appreciate books that take history into consideration and stories of time time travel or possible alternate history. These books require a lot of knowledge and research by the writers as well as a great imagination.
rdr7

Post by rdr7 »

i used to love science fiction as a teenager. i stir well clear of that genre. not sure what happened but i will read a romance novel before anything in science fiction. i want to go back but i cannot. :?
erica_bvs
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 668">Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince</a>
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erica-bvs.html

Post by erica_bvs »

I stay away from nonfiction books. I just can't get into them. Also horror books are a big no. If I get too scared I will probably stop reading it.
TheresaL
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresal.html

Post by TheresaL »

Horror and those that delve into demonic areas.
Papercut
Currently Reading: Raven's Peak
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Papercut »

I love books, just not the badly written. I find myself reading thriller and sci-fi books. Just recently got hooked on various informative books by Dan Ariely and Susan Cain. I want to expose myself in different genres. I wouldn't care if its cliche romance teen-flicks or old fashioned white lady horror scenes. As long as its good and not-so-boring, I think it is worth to kill time.
daftkris
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daftkris.html

Post by daftkris »

Sci-Fi. I'm more of a YA or Romance reader and I seem to clash with most of the Sci-Fi books I've read in the past.
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

I've never read much in to non-fiction. I don't really have a reason why, and I don't think it's because I don't like the genre. I guess I have just always had a long waiting list for books that I've been recommeneded, and I haven't allowed much time to choose a Non-fiction.
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
herc_72
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... d=7309">On the Road</a>
Currently Reading: The $100 Startup
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by herc_72 »

Horror mainly, because it's a genre that is very hard to find a good author.
Most of horror books are only good for recycling.
shuffman2009
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shuffman2009.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by shuffman2009 »

I tend to stay away from certain types of sci-fy...Some of it I actually really like, but I'm really not into books about outer space and aliens. I've never been able to get thru them. Then again, maybe I've never read the right one.
Stephanie-Ann
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-ann.html

Post by Stephanie-Ann »

Smut and horror - the first because I want to honor my husband, and the second because I don't want to imagine the scenes, be scared out of my wits and feel creepy! There is enough yuk in this world, I guess I just truly desire to fill my mind with more uplifting topics. I absolutely love humor and would take a good laugh anytime over most other emotions evoked from reading!

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”