What genre of books do you steer clear of, any why?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Mailis
Currently Reading: The Employee Millionaire
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mailis.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: What genre of books do you steer clear of, any why?

Post by Mailis »

Horror books. They always leave me traumatized to some extent and there are always some images that my brain refuses to delete afterwards and that resurface from time to time.
Jfoust1988
Currently Reading: The Vampire Secret
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jfoust1988.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Post by Jfoust1988 »

Romance Adult & Contemporary. I don't read much Contemporary at all. I lean towards Supernatural, Fantasy, Adventure, Thrillers and Dystopian.
JodyVamp
Currently Reading: Undone
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jodyvamp.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by JodyVamp »

anomalocaris wrote: 30 Apr 2014, 10:26 Modern Lit-fic, because the current fad is for completely unappealing characters, and because the genre takes itself way too seriously.

Romance, because I can't get excited about whether 2 people I don't know end up in bed together. When they try to mix it with other genres, the characters come across as eejits, because they're supposed to be dealing with some serious situation, and they instead they act like sex-crazed teenagers. Like, "He knew his best friend would bleed to death if he didn't get some pressure on the bullet wound, but right now the only pressure he could think of was the pressure of her body on his..." :roll:
I'm the same way with romance! The last book I read, I thought it was going to be about murder. It was just about how long it takes to ditch their family in the middle of a cruise so they could bang. Never mind half the horny couple was an assassin supposedly worried about being whacked herself. They're all just maddeningly unbelievable. I avoid dramas as well. Books are for enjoyment, not to relive the worst parts of reality.
Camille Turner
Currently Reading: Angela's Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-camille-turner.html
Latest Review: Hippocrates and The Hobgoblin: The Sedes Infernum by C.S. Colvin

Post by Camille Turner »

I don't like steamy romances or horror books. I read just about every other genre!
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

I try to avoid books that are nonfiction, books featuring Nazi, featuring rape, animal harm, basically things that hurt my heart. I find most historical fiction and nonfiction to be boring, not a genre that interests me.
LoisCHenderson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 358
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-loischenderson.html
Latest Review: Idiom Attack Vol. 1 Everyday Living (German Edition) by Peter Liptak

Post by LoisCHenderson »

I dislike poorly written romantic fiction, so I try to read as little of it as possible. How can one justify reading such trivia when there are so many more demands made on one's time by more worthwhile causes? I'd rather spend the time taking my dog for a walk!
rnraa99
Currently Reading: Call Me by Your Name
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by rnraa99 »

Erotica or romance. I feel that sometimes the characters are forced into unrealistic relationships. But then again how is horror or any other genre realistic 😂. So I respesct everyone's taste but i find romance a bit too cliche
rnraa99
Currently Reading: Call Me by Your Name
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by rnraa99 »

JodyVamp wrote: 16 Mar 2018, 01:39
anomalocaris wrote: 30 Apr 2014, 10:26 Modern Lit-fic, because the current fad is for completely unappealing characters, and because the genre takes itself way too seriously.

Romance, because I can't get excited about whether 2 people I don't know end up in bed together. When they try to mix it with other genres, the characters come across as eejits, because they're supposed to be dealing with some serious situation, and they instead they act like sex-crazed teenagers. Like, "He knew his best friend would bleed to death if he didn't get some pressure on the bullet wound, but right now the only pressure he could think of was the pressure of her body on his..." :roll:
I'm the same way with romance! The last book I read, I thought it was going to be about murder. It was just about how long it takes to ditch their family in the middle of a cruise so they could bang. Never mind half the horny couple was an assassin supposedly worried about being whacked herself. They're all just maddeningly unbelievable. I avoid dramas as well. Books are for enjoyment, not to relive the worst parts of reality.
Oh my god, I think I know which book you’re talking about. I thought the book was also very thriller centric, but it just focused on the couple and their lust. I felt so annoyed because I was actually interested in the main characters back story, but noooo the story had to be focused on their uncontrollable desire towards one another.
rave_2
Currently Reading: A Word so Fitly Spoken
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rave-2.html
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Post by rave_2 »

I've never been a fan of romance. I just don't see the appeal of two random people "getting it on," so to speak. But I do like some of the other genres: adventure, classic, fantasy, etc.
Just reading... :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-studyinggray:
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

I won't read horror or erotica. I actually like most other genres, including non-fiction and historical fiction.
KasieMiehlke
Currently Reading: The Hidden Village
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kasiemiehlke.html
Latest Review: Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

Post by KasieMiehlke »

Romance
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

I am an omnivore when it comes to books. Although I have read quite a few romances, I can not always relate to them. The scenario that gradually culminates in two persons coming together (or not) often seems either too abrupt or too slow. That is not to say I will steer clear of them, but.. well may be it will be my last choice in a collection of different genres.
The_Book_Thief
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by The_Book_Thief »

Horror stories !
Watching a horror movie? I can do that But No horror novel.
When I read I feel too much! Thanks to my vivid imagination. It's like everything is really happening and then it's always on my mind. Everything I read leaves an effect on me and I don't want this kind of spooky effect! :lol2:
Brittany J
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brittany-j.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Brittany J »

Romance because they just aren't appealing to me. I like books that make me think about the world and learn something. I feel romance won't do that for me. I love non-fiction but not biographies. I prefer to read about an event, time period, or many people rather than focus on one person. I generally stay away from fantasy, but am open to giving some a try.
thaservices1
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thaservices1.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by thaservices1 »

Non fiction or seemingly non crime drama and modern political biographies I avoid like the plague. If a crime thriller has some hint of the mystical or otherworldly I might dabble, but otherwise I can do without the detailed yuck that people do to one another for whatever reasons. It's not that gore or explicit scenes disturb me to distraction in books, I read plenty of sword to sword combat type fantasy, but it is the 'real' factor.
"It is not the critic that counts..."
- Roosevelt

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”