What genre of books do you steer clear of, any why?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Re: What genre of books do you steer clear of, any why?

Post by Dael Reader »

Romance novels, because they are usually about sex, not romance. And fictionalized history, that is, novels based on historic events or real people. If I want to know about historic events or the lives of historic people, I'll read a non-fiction book about it, not something cooked up in someone's imagination after they've learned a few facts.
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

Horror, because I don't like being scared and erotica because a lot of erotica novels are either badly written or have badly developed characters. As soon as a book falls into one of these, I run in the opposite direction :lol2:
palilogy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-palilogy.html
Latest Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Post by palilogy »

I will be honest I'm not huge on fantasy novels - I love the Lord of the Rings Movies and I forced myself to read the books - but I thought they were dry in comparison. It's strange, I'm a huge nerd I love anime, manga, nerd movies...but I just can't get into the books for some reason.
MiziS_1305
Favorite Book: The Lost Symbol
Currently Reading: Toni the Superhero
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mizis-1305.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by MiziS_1305 »

I keep my distance from romance and erotica. It's probably because I find them devoid of a proper storyline. Though these are the genre expected to be an ocean of emotions, I mostly find these to have just one kind of emotion I.e. lust.

I have often heard my friends saying that 'The Notebook' and 'A walk to remember' are a must read but I found nothing in them to attach to. On the other hand, there are Langdon series by Dan Brown, where I find Prof. Langdon to be friendly, loyal and even adorable to every new character in every new series.
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

MiziS_1305 wrote: 11 Jun 2018, 13:44 I keep my distance from romance and erotica. It's probably because I find them devoid of a proper storyline. Though these are the genre expected to be an ocean of emotions, I mostly find these to have just one kind of emotion I.e. lust.

I have often heard my friends saying that 'The Notebook' and 'A walk to remember' are a must read but I found nothing in them to attach to. On the other hand, there are Langdon series by Dan Brown, where I find Prof. Langdon to be friendly, loyal and even adorable to every new character in every new series.
I agree with you for the most part. But I have to add that there are warm romances in which lust is not the main emotion. This is mostly the case with a lot of romances written back in the day though. Think Emma or Pride and Prejudice type of books. But different strokes for different folks :wink2:
MikleoKrein
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by MikleoKrein »

Teen Fiction based on Modern days. Mostly, school life.

It's too childish for me.
efa2009
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by efa2009 »

Sci-fi. I'd rather read books on real people and which relate to my life or the human strengths and weaknesses that we all have. No offence though, I really enjoyed "Doomsday conspiracy".
Tajwar Shakir
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tajwar-shakir.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Tajwar Shakir »

YA are really not my kind of books. I avoid pessimistic stuff as well. The too tragic ending books specially of patients dying a traumatic death by deadly diseases etc.i believe in fight like a hero stuff those who keep the hope alive in the books.
Bukari
Currently Reading: Everything Solid Has a Shadow
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bukari.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Bukari »

Historical stories, they will make the narrative difficult for me.
"Ever Tried. Ever Failed. No Matter. Try Again. Fail Again. Fail Better." - Samuel Beckett.
Bukari
Currently Reading: Everything Solid Has a Shadow
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bukari.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Bukari »

I love books that fall into the genres of other fiction and Sci-Fi. They are easy for me to read and understand, I personally enjoy books written by Coles.
"Ever Tried. Ever Failed. No Matter. Try Again. Fail Again. Fail Better." - Samuel Beckett.
MsLisa
Currently Reading: Twisted But True
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mslisa.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by MsLisa »

Romance movies and books always make me cringe and lately young adult dystopian novels.
Hallsword
Favorite Book: The 11.05 Murders
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hallsword.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro

Post by Hallsword »

I try to stay away from Romance books. I find that the storyline is trite and almost all the covers of the books are so ridiculous. I can't seem to take the genre seriously.
arinola grace
Currently Reading: A Tome of Order Magic
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arinola-grace.html
Latest Review: Pancake Money by Finn Bell
Reading Device: B077RNJR5N

Post by arinola grace »

Horror, my imagination is too active and sometimes i cant differentiate between what i watched and what i read so i try to stay away from all forms of horror.
Jennifer Fernandez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-fernandez.html
Latest Review: The Enemy In Me by Jacob Newell Campbell

Post by Jennifer Fernandez »

Romance books. I don't know why, I always find them boring. I can't get myself to care about people's love lives if there is not something impresive happening on the background.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. - H.P. Lovecraft :techie-studyinggray:
Taekwondoqueen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taekwondoqueen.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by Taekwondoqueen »

I do not like romance at all! I mean, I do enjoy a romance inside of the story, but a book purely about romance? Blech!

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”