Do you read books of a series in chronological order?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Savanahlorain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Re: Do you read books of a series in chronological order?

Post by Savanahlorain »

I hate reading books out of order. It just seems wrong.
Also, if I start a series and don't finish, then come back to it a while later, I usually re-read the whole series again. It just makes it seem more complete
Kieran_Obrien
Currently Reading: Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kieran-obrien.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Kieran_Obrien »

Has anybody mentioned the Chronicles of Narnia yet? Nearly everyone starts with The Lion the witch and the wardrobe which is technically the 2nd book chronologically ;)
Booklover_CRJ
Currently Reading: First Lord's Fury
Bookshelf Size: 73

Post by Booklover_CRJ »

It irks me when I discover I've read out of order even if an author says reading order doesn't matter...well it does to me! I just have to read in order.
JodyVamp
Currently Reading: Undone
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jodyvamp.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by JodyVamp »

I try to read them in order for the best character/action build, but it just doesn't always work out. Sometimes I find the third one at the thrift store and just have to have it, or one of my favorites I won from goodreads and it was the fifth in Darynda Jones's Grim Reaper series. I try to find them in order after that, but libraries and prices don't always work out. Once I've managed to find the whole series, I read it again in order.
SparklesonPages
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 211
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sparklesonpages.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by SparklesonPages »

As far as possible I try to read the series in order. It sometimes happens I find a book on sale, find that it’s fantastic and really book 2-3 out of a series.
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane

Post by kfwilson6 »

I definitely have to read them in order. If I pick up a book I'm not very familiar with, I check to make sure it is not part of a series before I begin reading it. Another quirk of mine, I have a terrible memory, I read a lot, and I read quickly so I can't always remember the details of earlier books in a series if I don't read the entire series from start to finish. Therefore, if the author is still working on the series, I don't want to start reading it yet. I am absolutely going to have to reread Game of Thrones if Mr. Martin would ever finish it. I just couldn't resist it and it was so worth it!
Jeyasivananth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeyasivananth.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Jeyasivananth »

Yes I definitely try to do that .
Jeyasivananth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeyasivananth.html

Post by Jeyasivananth »

I definitely try to do that .
seymmarc
Currently Reading: The Nun
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seymmarc.html

Post by seymmarc »

I usually try as best as I can. There have been a few instances where I've randomly picked up a book and finished it then realized it was in the middle of a series. There are some series where I really like one of the books but the author drags out the storyline along too many other novels and it loses its appeal. Another technique I've come across with two authors is their series has been written as Book 1, 2, 3, 4 (for example) then after they write book A which is a companion novel that goes between book 3 and 4. Then I'm really in a pickle for what order to read them in!
Camille Turner
Currently Reading: Angela's Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-camille-turner.html
Latest Review: Hippocrates and The Hobgoblin: The Sedes Infernum by C.S. Colvin

Post by Camille Turner »

I completely agree with you! It is an obsession for me as well. I absolutely will not read a book out of order if it's supposed to be a flowing story. The exception is the Marsh series because there are 32 of them I believe and I've only been able to hunt them down here and there, plus the storyline is different each time so you absolutely CAN read them out of order.
mnmueller
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mnmueller.html
Latest Review: Puffy and the Formidable Foe by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by mnmueller »

It depends on the series. When I was younger, we read the Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys stories in any order and it didn't seem to make much difference. I read some of the Xanth series out of order, but many of the books deal with different main characters and stories that may be occurring at or around the same time as other books. Some of the Pern books can be read out of chronological order, simply because so much time passes between some of them that the order doesn't make that much difference.

Most of the series I read now, you don't want to read out of order because the sequels build on the foundation of the previous book(s). A recap would not be enough, because so much happens in the previous book(s) that you won't have enough context for what is happening. At least, I wouldn't have enough context.

My mother actually brought home the second Harry Potter book from work, saying she heard it was really good but she couldn't get into it. I read maybe the first chapter before I realized it was the second book in the series, then stopped and ordered the other three books that were out. This was shortly before the release of the fifth book.
GabbiV
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces you have to read before you die, vol 2
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabbiv.html
Latest Review: Of Illusions and Ink Spills by Divya Hirani
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by GabbiV »

As much as I can, yes I try to read them in chronological order as much as possible. I like knowing what's being built off of. But in some cases where I cannot for the life of me get through a particular installment, I'll skip it and look up the important points for when I read the book that comes after. Eventually, I will start feeling guilty, so once I've finished all available books, I'll go and do a speed read of the one I ignored.
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

I prefer to read them in order but sometimes you don't own some of them and you just have to make do. Either way you get an introduction to the authors style, characters, and world. You can always fill in the blanks later.
Jfoust1988
Currently Reading: The Vampire Secret
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jfoust1988.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Post by Jfoust1988 »

I read books the first time threw in publication order just to avoid spoilers. But after that I must return to the beginning and read them in chronological order. It's a completely different experience when reading chronological instead of publication order. Oh my when I reread cassandra clairs Infernal Devices, Mortal Instruments, Bane chronicles, and Shadow Hunter Academy it was insane. I will have to do it again when her last two series (placed in the same world and has many of the same characters) is published.
Jesscar6
Currently Reading: A Song of Ice and Fire
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesscar6.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Jesscar6 »

Always.
Otherwise how do you know what's happened before?
Surely most series wouldn't make sense unless you read them from the start.
Even if I want to reread a book, if it's part of a series I'll start from the beginning again.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”