Do you read books of a series in chronological order?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
agreenwood
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agreenwood.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus

Re: Do you read books of a series in chronological order?

Post by agreenwood »

Absolutely! I have to read them in chronological order and I also have to purchase the entire series (or majority) before I will begin reading. That way I ensure that I have the series and can move easily on to the next book, without having to wait a certain amount of time and forgetting what the series is about.
countrychick201389
Currently Reading: true beliver
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-countrychick201389.html

Post by countrychick201389 »

I always have to read a book series in order if I don't I feel like I've wasted time and I feel lost
Sarah_Khan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-khan.html
Latest Review: The Formidable King by Alyssa J. Montgomery

Post by Sarah_Khan »

I agree with you. I always read book that are in a series in order, even if the series is like a detective series where you could read all the books in whatever order you want since they aren't connected. Sometimes I even read the books of an author in order, I read their first book to their last book so I can compare their earlier writing to their newer writing. :P
fanyhoah
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by fanyhoah »

Absolutely, if not it's like starting the alphabet a, b, c...then j, n, q, totally off kilter.
maruyama
Currently Reading: Dragon Flight
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by maruyama »

I try but sometimes I find a bargain or something and a middle book is the first I read in a series.
funcubs21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-funcubs21.html

Post by funcubs21 »

OMG! If I read a book out of order I'd lose my mind! LOL! I know it's really not that serious but still!!!! I love getting into a series and always hope they are good because I always feel inclined to finish the series good or bad!
Kia
Currently Reading: Damaged Goods
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kia.html
Latest Review: Wheel of Katarnum by James Calliotte
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kia »

I always do if it's the first time I'm reading the series. After that it depends. I find that an author will write in one of two ways: either it's just one big story broken down into different books to make it easier to publish, or its distinct stories in each book that work together to make a bigger story. If it's the former, I will read them in sequence every time. If it's the latter, I have no issue reading them out of order of I've already read them in order once.
"Yes, the past can hurt. But the way I see it you can either run from it, or learn from it."- Rafiki
fabulasaule
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fabulasaule.html

Post by fabulasaule »

I normally read series in chronological order but sometimes it happens that I get only part 3 with no idea where should I get the other parts. If the book looks interesting then I do not care if it is in the middle of action.
tylerchristine
Currently Reading: The Perks of Being a Wallflower
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tylerchristine.html

Post by tylerchristine »

I absolutely have to. If I pick up a book that looks interesting and I see it belongs to a series, but the first book in the series isn't there then I won't buy it. Some books are readable without having previously read the books prior, but I could never bring myself to doing that. I would feel like I was missing out on something.
MissJames
Currently Reading: Maria
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-missjames.html

Post by MissJames »

100% YES! I absolutely have to read the books in order or else I feel like I'm missing out on intricate details and allusions to previous books. I tried it once a few months ago with the Fablehaven series by Brandon Mull simply because the bookstore didn't have the second book, but I had to stop and order the second book because I knew I was missing out on too many details! :lol2:
PardeeGirl
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pardeegirl.html

Post by PardeeGirl »

I have to read the books in order or I feel like I have missed something important from the skipped book. I am very OCD about it.
jamesabr
Currently Reading: The Gulf
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamesabr.html
Latest Review: "Adam Exitus" by Nicholas Abdilla
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by jamesabr »

Yes, yes, yes! I must read a series in chronological order to enjoy the experience of it. Like a lot of other people here, I may be spoiled for the rest of the series if I possibly read ahead.
Latest Review: "Adam Exitus" by Nicholas Abdilla
erasmus
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erasmus.html
Latest Review: "Torn Between" by Karen A Miles
Reading Device: B00GQDBS7O

Post by erasmus »

Oh hey, spoilers... That's definitely a good reason to read books on a chronological order. Should've thought of that. Mostly though, I feel oddly guilty about reading books out of order.
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one." - George R.R. Martin
Latest Review: "Torn Between" by Karen A Miles
Jennifer Allsbrook
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading: An American Hedge Fund
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-allsbrook.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by Jennifer Allsbrook »

I prefer to read the books in order but it doesn't kill a series for me if I do not. I hate the blanks that will be obvious in the relationships or back story but I later will read the missed book to fill in the blanks.
MTReader91
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtreader91.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by MTReader91 »

I typically have to read a series in order except for the current saga I am reading has two series intertwine so you can read all of one series or you can read the first of this series and the first of the second series and still have a handle on the story line.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”