Do you read books of a series in chronological order?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
erasmus
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erasmus.html
Latest Review: "Torn Between" by Karen A Miles
Reading Device: B00GQDBS7O

Re: Do you read books of a series in chronological order?

Post by erasmus »

It's been a while since I revisited this topic... I see that the general consensus is that reading experiences are better when they're read in chronological order. Or, if accidentally not read in chronological order, one has to go back to the first book and try again. I'm wholeheartedly agree.

Thing is, I didn't used to be this way. When I was a kid, I read books any old how. When I was in secondary school, I almost stopped reading novels and ended up reading a lot of manga instead. The thing with manga is that their books are labelled and almost all the titles for each manga are the same, so it's waaay easier to go about reading them in order. And when my fascination in manga leveled off (I still read them, just not as fanatically), I went back to reading novels, say, two years ago.

By then, I was so rusty I didn't even know what genres I liked anymore, so I had to give everything a try. Problem is, I didn't realise that the order of books in series couldn't be easily discerned by their titles. In the end, I was guilty of not reading anything in order - I just grabbed whatever interest me and read it. I didn't even realise some of them were part of a series, until I came across the wonders of Goodreads, and also realised that I could really Google for anything. After that, I never looked back. It's really difficult for me to read books out of order now. I could wait weeks for a book in the library to be available instead of simply going to other books in the same series that were available. You can imagine my frustration when, after I finished the book I waited weeks for to find that the next book, which used to be available, was already borrowed by someone else. Again.

Anyone else got any experiences they've got because they simply must read in a chronological (or at least some sort of) order?
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one." - George R.R. Martin
Latest Review: "Torn Between" by Karen A Miles
VinuW
Favorite Author: Richelle Mead
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vinuw.html
Latest Review: "The Prodigal Daughter" by Patricia Nmukoso Enyi
fav_author_id: 782

Post by VinuW »

gali wrote:Of course! Like you and Stacy I have to read them in order. I also must have all the books in the series before starting it.
I agree wholeheartedly! :D
“He who jumps may fall, but he may also fly. It’s time to jump.” Lauren Oliver, Requiem
Latest Review: "The Prodigal Daughter" by Patricia Nmukoso Enyi
Fielddaisies
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Fielddaisies »

Absolutely! It irks me when my dad doesn't. I don't know how he keeps the story lines straight!
braa4_1adus
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-braa4-1adus.html

Post by braa4_1adus »

Sure! I am very observant and usually want to see the logical conclusion of what comes my way. I normaly will not go for second-hand information.
tinmmm
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4">Flowers for Algernon</a>
Currently Reading: Taguan-pung at Manwal ng Pagpapatiwakal (Level Up)
Bookshelf Size: 217

Post by tinmmm »

I try to, as much as I can. It would depend on the series though - like, if I won't miss on anything by skipping a book or so, I'd settle. Although, I would only do this if I can't find the next book in the series.
Sarah G
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-g.html
Latest Review: Smith by Sam B Miller II
fav_author_id: 4040

Post by Sarah G »

Definitely! You could lose out on so much intrigue and twisting and turning of the plot if you read them out of order. You could entirely ruin a long built up plot twist.

Could not do that at all
The purpose of a storyteller is not to tell you how to think, but to give you questions to think upon
slothsarereal
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-slothsarereal.html

Post by slothsarereal »

I always have to! Otherwise it won't make sense One time i accidentally skipped a book because i didn't know what the order was and there was s much that i had missed and didnt understand!
doyle5
Currently Reading: Steelheart
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doyle5.html

Post by doyle5 »

I can't read them any other way. I hate spoilers. I would rather be surprised by the out come and try to figure out how it will end along the way:) It's just more fun that way.
Mntgrl1969
Favorite Author: Patricia Cornwell
Currently Reading: Free Fish Friday
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mntgrl1969.html
Reading Device: 1400697484
Publishing Contest Votes: 12
fav_author_id: 2999

Post by Mntgrl1969 »

I do read them in order, I get pretty frustrated when I find that I have skipped one. I have to stop reading the one I am and go find the one that comes before. Weird I know, but the Author wrote them in order for a reason so why not respect that and read them in order.
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

I usually read them in the order written even if that is not specifically the story's chronological order. I guess I want to experience it as the author did when writing it.
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
cogarae
Currently Reading: Mary
Bookshelf Size: 297
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cogarae.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by cogarae »

I could never read out of order! I mean how the heck would I know what I was reading or what was going on in the book? I would feel lost!
Jolyon Trevelyan
Favorite Author: Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Bookshelf Size: 10
fav_author_id: 2563

Post by Jolyon Trevelyan »

I read them in order of course.
A mistake is simply another way of doing things
Bigirimana Celestin
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End
Bookshelf Size: 341
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigirimana-celestin.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Bigirimana Celestin »

I DON'T LIKE SERIES
“There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.”
― Maya Angelou
Kaitlyn12
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 0">Lost</a>
Currently Reading: City of Bones
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyn12.html
Latest Review: "Merikh's Daughter" by Gabriela M. Sanchez

Post by Kaitlyn12 »

I absolutely have to read the books in order if they are in a series. I don't know how anybody can read them out of order! It just seems like there is information in later books that you miss because you didn't read them in the right order. I won't get a series of books from the library unless all the books are there and I can check them all out at once. I hate getting the first few and then bringing them back and they don't have the next ones.
Latest Review: "Merikh's Daughter" by Gabriela M. Sanchez
Dyslexic-Superhero
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dyslexic-superhero.html

Post by Dyslexic-Superhero »

It really hurts to have book 1 and book 13 in the same room. At times I've had to read up on series to see if I could read them out of order because my to read pile was so high. If I can help it read them in order religiously.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”