Do you read books of a series in chronological order?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
joyfulnei
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joyfulnei.html
Latest Review: Call Me Pomeroy by James Hanna

Re: Do you read books of a series in chronological order?

Post by joyfulnei »

The first time I ever read a series (which was one of more than 12 books) I accidentally started with the 9th one. I remember being absolutely confused with everything that was happening in the plot, and because the series was also quite mysterious-y, nothing really made sense. Nonetheless, it got me really hooked so I wanted to continue it, now doing things right and starting with the first one. Easy peasy, you'd say, but no, not a bit. I lived in a really small town and bookstores were limited, books took months to be delivered there and so I had to read the whole series in the order I found them. In the end, I got tired of waiting and searching for them, so I never finished it.

From that point onwards, I always make sure I'm reading the first book and that I can get to read EVERYTHING that the series has to offer (extras, spin-offs, etc.).
erasmus
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erasmus.html
Latest Review: "Torn Between" by Karen A Miles
Reading Device: B00GQDBS7O

Post by erasmus »

What happens if the synopsis of the nth book in the series interests you much more than the first? What would you do? Would you stick it out with the first book, or simply be unable to resist the temptation of the much more interesting synopsis?
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one." - George R.R. Martin
Latest Review: "Torn Between" by Karen A Miles
wordslinger42
Currently Reading: The Lost Road and Other Writings
Bookshelf Size: 669
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wordslinger42.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by wordslinger42 »

I always read the books in order. I always feel like it's very confusing if you don't and you miss important character development if you skip over some books in a series.
Popcorn1
Currently Reading: The reel sistelrs
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-popcorn1.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Popcorn1 »

I always read a series in a chronological order. It's confusing for me to a series right from the middle. Also I prefer to wait for the series to be completed before diving right in.
Kristin Ransome
Currently Reading: Way of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-firefawkes.html
Latest Review: The Augur's View by Victoria Lehrer

Post by Kristin Ransome »

Its happened to me a few times where I finish a book, and discover that its actually part of a series (and not the first book!). Then when starting from the beginning of the series, there are so many plot points spoiled because of it!
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

Absolutely. I read a lot of books that are part of a series. I always try to start with the first one and build on it with the others. To me, it just makes each book better if I have the complete background already in place.
_Delly_01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-delly-01.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by _Delly_01 »

Yes! I've never gone out of my way to read a series out of order, and if I accidentally read a book I shouldn't just yet, I feel I've corrupted the series. I can't even stand it when I'm in a tension-building part of a book and my eyes drop down to ruin the ending for me. Reading a book out of order feels borderline criminal, because that's not how the author intended it to be read.
Christinabooklover
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christinabooklover.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by Christinabooklover »

CatInTheHat wrote: 28 Dec 2016, 12:29 Yes, I always start at the beginning. Exception being if I read a book and then discover it's a part of a series. But even then, I don't tend to go backwards.
Same here. The only reason for starting book series in the middle is only when I am ignorant of the book not being a stand alone novel.
Do not pity the dead, Harry. Pity the living, and, above all those who live without love.” – JK Rowling
SunVixen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunvixen.html
Latest Review: Tau Ceti: A Ship from Earth by George T. Hahn

Post by SunVixen »

I always read books in chronological order. However, when I was a child, I read Dune Chronicles in a strange way.
First I read "Dune". About a year later I read "Heretics of Dune", and I did not like this book. She was too adult for me. :lol: Two years later, I finally read "Dune Messiah." I remember that I really liked Duncan Idaho. After that, I finally read the rest of the books in this series.
JennyorAlice
Currently Reading: Tales of the Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 151

Post by JennyorAlice »

I've always read books in chronological order. I haven't been unlucky enough to have started a series somewhere in the middle by accident. There have been times I've picked up a book thinking it was a standalone novel, only to find out later that it's being turned into a series. Last time that happened to me, the series turned out to be 13 books long.
frederick vandi
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by frederick vandi »

I actually like reading books in series provided if they are interesting, but the poor internet facility in my country has always been a hindrance. I love series stories though.
spencermack
Favorite Book: A Loaf Of Bread
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencermack.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by spencermack »

Yes. I hate feeling lost in a book and go out of order would drive me bonkers.
Spencer Mack
Renu G
Currently Reading: Masters and Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renu-g.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola

Post by Renu G »

I usually don't read a series in chronological order. I prefer a break. This helps to let it sink in my mind.
MKOneil
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by MKOneil »

I always read a book series in order! John Sanford, Michael Connelly! In the front of the book they are listed in order. It’s important because the are developing the characters personalities!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

There are too many risks of missing important information and getting spoilers for the previous books, so I read them chronologically.
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”