Selling or giving away books?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
catolle
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catolle.html

Selling or giving away books?

Post by catolle »

How do you feel about selling or giving away books you own? We were going through some boxes because we are planning a yard sale and my husband said we could never sell books. What is your opinion on this?
CourtneyRac1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-courtneyrac1.html

Post by CourtneyRac1 »

Hmmm. It depends on the book. If it is a number 1 seller or popular book that is in good condition I say go for it. However you might sell a little more selling them on ebay or you can look up a sight where companies by your books! And if the book isn't too popular than I wouldn't sell it.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I give away books I don't want. I myself would buy books on yard sale if they were cheap. Try it, you don't have nothing to lose. Good luck!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Aussie-reader

Post by Aussie-reader »

I sold quite a few books when I had a garage sale a few years ago (same as what you call a yard sale, I think :? )

You don't get much for them though.

The other thing I have done is sell them to second hand book shop - its not really selling, you don't get money but you get to buy another book/s with the amount.
Needless to say they give you less for your sold books than for their bought books.

Other than that I just give books away - but as I have said on here before I am not really a book re-reader.
I only keep a very few favourites.
dina77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dina77.html

Post by dina77 »

I buy books at booksales - nothing better than finding a fab book for $20 at a library sale - and if you have lots of books you wont read then why not make a little money you can put towards buying some new books :)
Spontaneo
Favorite Book: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spontaneo.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Spontaneo »

I like to "flip" yard sale books. I have made gift baskets with them.
You Only Grow Old If You Want To
ebethina
Currently Reading: Homeport
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebethina.html
Latest Review: "Temptation Trials Part II" by B. Truly

Post by ebethina »

Since I pay for mine I would say I wouldn't mind getting money back for them. However, since I do not do garage sales, if no one in my family wants to read them I take them to the book station to help those in need instead.
Latest Review: "Temptation Trials Part II" by B. Truly
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

I only ever bother to resell text books. Novels or paperback are usually donated to the local charity book sale. I think my whole community just recycles all their books this way.
gregs317

Post by gregs317 »

I always enjoy donating my unwanted books to our local library. They have used book sales about twice a year, and appreciate the donated books.
DATo

Post by DATo »

Much like your husband I am always reluctant to part with books. I don't know why, but I always have a feeling that as soon as the book is gone I will want to read it. I have at times out of necessity had to thin down the number of books I own. At such times I have brought them into work and stacked them with a card on top saying "free". They usually disappear pretty fast. Trying to sell books is too much time and bother for what you get for them.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Carol Cisne
Currently Reading: Natsume's Book of Friends, Vol. 12
Bookshelf Size: 1072
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carol-cisne.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Carol Cisne »

If the books are worth something then I sell them. That way they can find a new owner (and I have some money for more books). If they are not worth much I would sell them as a group or just donate them to the library, school, freebie group.

I keep only a few books and have an index of books I have read just in case I want to buy/read it again (thank goodness for local libraries).
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Helga_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by Helga_ »

I've sold books that I bought on impulse and never/rarely read.
gregs317 wrote:I always enjoy donating my unwanted books to our local library. They have used book sales about twice a year, and appreciate the donated books.
I'm planning to move in February. I will donate some to the local library, which is I've never done before!
gregs317

Post by gregs317 »

Helga_ wrote:I've sold books that I bought on impulse and never/rarely read.
gregs317 wrote:I always enjoy donating my unwanted books to our local library. They have used book sales about twice a year, and appreciate the donated books.
I'm planning to move in February. I will donate some to the local library, which is I've never done before!
That's great - I know that your local library will appreciate the donated books! It may help someone in your community who might not be able to buy new books. Our library sells used books for $1-2. Woo-hoo, lol.
vaz222
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vaz222.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by vaz222 »

I was actually thinking about swapping my used books with a relative for her used books. She loves reading and has pretty good taste so I figured I can give her the books I have already read and take hers to read for myself. I like the idea of giving away books.
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
Mary Garrison
Currently Reading: The Hiding Place
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-garrison.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Mary Garrison »

I feel like if it's a book I already read, or don't plan on reading it's fine. That being said, I am starting a lot of book collections so I keep most of them.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”