What would you do if you saw someone writing on a book?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
RenaissanceWoman
Favorite Author: Variable
Favorite Book: Changes Often
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renaissancewoman.html

Re: What would you do if you saw someone writing on a book?

Post by RenaissanceWoman »

I don't mind people writing in or highlighting text in books. It gives me insight into what's important to other people, not just me.
suzy1124

Post by suzy1124 »

gali wrote:I wouldn't do anything since it is none of my business.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mega-dittos!
" We don't see things as they are but as we are "

Carpe Diem!

Suzy...
robind13
Currently Reading: The Lullaby Sky
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-robind13.html
Latest Review: "Hello, My Love" by Evy Journey

Post by robind13 »

nothing, It's not really any of my business
Latest Review: "Hello, My Love" by Evy Journey
Kershhie
Favorite Author: Alexandra Bracken
Favorite Book: The darkest Minds
Currently Reading: In the Afterlight and King Hall
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kershhie.html
fav_author_id: 763

Post by Kershhie »

I would secretly freak out but probably not say anything unless I was their friend then I would probably interrogate them because my friends already know what I'm like.
L25

Post by L25 »

i will wait for them to have a break. and then i will go and approach them saying "excuse me" or "sorry". and i will add "i couldnt stop noticing you are writting a book". i will say that i wish that book will turn into a great one and best seller. i will wish them whole heartly and i will leave.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month

Post by DATo »

Well, I think the only sensible thing to do would be to call the police.

(How do people dream up these questions?)

-- November 13th, 2014, 3:38 pm --
L25 wrote:i will wait for them to have a break. and then i will go and approach them saying "excuse me" or "sorry". and i will add "i couldnt stop noticing you are writting a book". i will say that i wish that book will turn into a great one and best seller. i will wish them whole heartly and i will leave.
Writing ON ... dear L25, not IN. No one writes ON a book and then publishes it (with the possible exception of the Sumerians).

-- November 13th, 2014, 3:42 pm --

If I saw someone writing on a book I would squirt them with mustard from one of those squeezy bottles. If no mustard were available I would use catsup. If no catsup could be found I would throw acorns. And if I couldn't find any acorns I would throw a squirrel ... that's what it gets for hiding all the acorns.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Ama Idim
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ama-idim.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty

Post by Ama Idim »

I don't write on my books but when I see someone writing on a book, well, there's a reason and it's the person's book so I don't care much.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Mallory Whitaker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mallory-whitaker.html
Latest Review: Color Me American by Silvia Sama-Lambiv

Post by Mallory Whitaker »

If the book isn't their property then it would bug me. I write in my books all the time though.It really bugs my best friend. It's just...something I do. I have a million notebooks around that I try to keep track of quotes/notes but I always end up losing them. I don't lose books. Books look empty to me without some highlighting or notes.
Anirudh Badri
Currently Reading: Quiet
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anirudh-badri.html
Latest Review: Galactic Passages: Planet 6333 by Dean and Anson Vargo

Post by Anirudh Badri »

If the book belongs to them, then I have no problem with it. I write on a lot of books that I own, especially ones which are very challenging. The note-taking helps me make sense of it, so I do it a lot. My copy of the Intelligent Investor by Benjamin Graham is littered with notes.
It is what you read when you don’t have to that determines what you will be when you can’t help it.

–Oscar Wilde
Angela Stripes
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 04073">The Savage Damsel and the Dwarf</a>
Currently Reading: A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angela-stripes.html
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka

Post by Angela Stripes »

WinterCandyMints wrote:Die inside.
Hahaha yesss!

I'd restrain myself from asking them what they wrote. Finding scraps of paper others have left behind brings my heart smiles.

Although I don't jot notes or annotate my novels, when I have written in books, it feels like journaling. Responding to the art, and taking this particular copy and making it mine. I also have gone through phases of bending a paperbook backward while I read, dog-earing, ect. Seeing the effects of such habits have wrenched my heart like wringing out a wet towel, so naturally, I've given them up. But there is something to be said about responding to a book like that. Its a relationship, then :wink: :P
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka
Afuglsan
Currently Reading: The Masked City
Bookshelf Size: 5445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-afuglsan.html
Latest Review: "STARLESS and Bible Black" by Gerard DiLeo

Post by Afuglsan »

I'm split. If they're writing things down to help them remember or analyze or even question the text, I get it. Especially in a textbook. At the same time, your heart feels for the book.
Latest Review: "STARLESS and Bible Black" by Gerard DiLeo
Elle Howard
Currently Reading: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elle-howard.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by Elle Howard »

I would mind my own business. It is their property so they can do as they please. You never know if they are actually writing in the book or on a paper. There are too many people in the world looking for verbal/physical confrontations. Better to just walk away.
Any book that helps a child to form a habit of reading, to make reading one of his deep and continuing needs, is good for him.
–Maya Angelou
maiamalanee
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... tlander</a>
Currently Reading: Green Mansions
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maiamalanee.html
Latest Review: "Belas Rift" by Stephan von Clinkerhoffen
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by maiamalanee »

As a literature major turned creative writing major, I completely understand if it's a student writing in the book. I'm taking notes all the time in my books for research for my writing, but it's usually a copy, and my clean version is at home. If it's a kid, then I would probably tell the parents.
Latest Review: "Belas Rift" by Stephan von Clinkerhoffen
IanYanny
Currently Reading: The Lovely Bones
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ianyanny.html
Latest Review: "Life Before" by K.L. Romo

Post by IanYanny »

Elle Howard wrote:I would mind my own business. It is their property so they can do as they please. You never know if they are actually writing in the book or on a paper. There are too many people in the world looking for verbal/physical confrontations. Better to just walk away.
I agree. As long as it is not my book.
Latest Review: "Life Before" by K.L. Romo
Star88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-star88.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by Star88 »

In high school, our teachers encouraged us to write in our books, so I am used to it now. Before, it felt like vandalism.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”