What would you do if you saw someone writing on a book?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
psspcj
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-psspcj.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Re: What would you do if you saw someone writing on a book?

Post by psspcj »

This actually happened. I gave the dirty look to the person who was writing on her own book. But when she didn't understand, I asked her if she needed pencil for writing so that she can rub it off later. But she did not accept pencil and carried on her writing.
Kristin Ransome
Currently Reading: Way of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-firefawkes.html
Latest Review: The Augur's View by Victoria Lehrer

Post by Kristin Ransome »

Honestly, I wouldn't care. People read and understand books in different ways, and if that's their way, who am I to say otherwise??
_Delly_01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-delly-01.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by _Delly_01 »

It bothers me, but I wouldn't stop them if it was their own book. I can't stand reading books that have been highlighted or doodled on in any way. If someone was to do it to my book, I'd tell them to buy me a new copy of that book and let them have the one they've ruined. It sounds harsh, but it's how I feel.
Florence Nalianya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-florence-nalianya.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Florence Nalianya »

oh please I hate it when one writes on books for I like them kept clean for the next reader.
RoxieReads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roxiereads.html
Latest Review: Code Name Lily by Julien Ayotte

Post by RoxieReads »

It depends on what that person is writing. If they are vandalizing the book, then that is unacceptable. However, if they are annotating or writing their thoughts on what they are reading, then that is completely okay with me.
~Roxie~
jkmalik
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by jkmalik »

I have a degree in history, European studies, and theology. We in the social sciences LOVE to write in books. Well, we love to annotate, at least in college. However, I can't help but carry that over into my life now, that I'm done with school. I stopped doing it with fiction books, though. I never really did annotate with fiction, in fact. The first time I annotated was in high school, and it was in fiction books, for English. Then, I tried again with fiction in college (always annotating non-fiction along the way), and, then, long after I graduated grad school, with Jane Eyre, a book I abhorred. Sometimes annotating actually helps you get through a book you hate if you are one of those people who just has to get through a book. You write down things to amuse yourself. I ended up quitting Jane Eyre, she was just...no. However, I did read this prose version of The Iliad by John Dolan, that a pal recommended to me, and I probably hated that more than Jane Eyre, but since a friend recommended it to me, I felt obligated to finish it. So, I just kept writing down sarcastic comments to entertain myself.

However, in all seriousness folks, I don't think beautiful pieces of literature should be marked up. Non-fiction, yes. By all means.

Still, I have a complex. A pretty book is a pretty book. An interesting book with good points is an interesting book with good points. Sometimes excellent points.

Sometimes the pen just wanders...
Aditi Sapate
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aditi-sapate.html
Latest Review: Miracles Love a Believer by Stacy Manning Casaluci

Post by Aditi Sapate »

:lol: I would cringe deep down, but I wouldn't say anything to them. Also if they were writing with a pencil, I wouldn't even cringe.
Maria Esposito
Favorite Book: The Panhandler and the Professional
Currently Reading: Live from Death Row
Bookshelf Size: 438
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-esposito.html
Latest Review: WHY ARE THERE MONKEYS? (and other questions for God) by Brooke Jones
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Maria Esposito »

Nothing. If the book is their property, there's nothing wrong with that I believe. I only hate people who write on books that they borrowed from the library. I do write on my own books a lot, albeit only in pencil and I don't let anyone else do so. I love going back to the book and reading my thoughts on it later in time. It shows that I related to what was written in it at that point in time and how it intertwined with my life.
The strongest impetus a man will ever have, in an individual sense, will come from a woman he admires.

- George Jackson, "Soledad Brother"
tannus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tannus.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust

Post by tannus »

I do not like to scribble on books but I do not mind if someone does on their own books.
As long as no one writes on someone else's book I am fine.
HarryPotterLibrary22
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harrypotterlibrary22.html
Latest Review: Watchwords (black and white) by Philip Neal Gatter

Post by HarryPotterLibrary22 »

Firefawkes wrote: 13 Feb 2019, 10:55 Honestly, I wouldn't care. People read and understand books in different ways, and if that's their way, who am I to say otherwise??
I agree! I wouldn't care either as long as it was their own book. Everyone reads differently. Also, they might be an editor making notes for work, an author gathering inspiration or a reader who likes to jot their own thoughts. Who are we to judge?
sevencrows
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sevencrows.html
Latest Review: Daisy's Run by Scott Baron

Post by sevencrows »

I personally find that annotated books and somewhat dog-eared look more loved, and insightful annotations in used books are some of my favorite things to find.
Daniel Muky
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniel-muky.html
Latest Review: Korian by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Daniel Muky »

Their book or mine??
Mine, I would probably kick them..
Theirs, I don't mind
DragonLight877
Favorite Author: Patrick Rothfuss
Favorite Book: The Slow Regard of Silent Things
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonlight877.html
Latest Review: Shepherds of Destiny by Kiel Barnekov
fav_author_id: 3201

Post by DragonLight877 »

Oh god I usually also give them dirty looks. Actually I usually gasp out loud. Even when I see people bending the cover of a paperback around the back of the book while reading I cringe. It hurts my soul!
Jocelyn Eastman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jocelyn-eastman.html
Latest Review: Phoenix by Patricia Simpson

Post by Jocelyn Eastman »

I’d mind my own business. You don’t know that person's story.
Vivienne2000
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivienne2000.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by Vivienne2000 »

Ohhhhhhh Myyyyyyyy Fuuuuudggggeeeee. I really would freak out on you. Like how can you write on a such a sacred writing...... That's the complete turn off for me.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”