Books that follow morally grey/dark characters.

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Akanksha D
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akanksha-d.html
Latest Review: The Bronze Bear Continues by Jerry A. Greenberg

Books that follow morally grey/dark characters.

Post by Akanksha D »

In my experience, books usually clearly demarcate good and evil. We usually tend to follow protagonists which are either good from the start or turn into a good person by the end of the series/novel. However, the real world definitely doesn't function like that. Almost everyone has some good and some evil within them.

I personally only know about Game of Thrones and Prince of Thorns by Mark Lawrence. What about you? What was one such book you read that reflected this moral greyness/evilness among the protagonist(s) and would recommend to everyone who asks?
underthe_cloudyskies
Currently Reading: The Catcher in the Rye
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-underthe-cloudyskies.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by underthe_cloudyskies »

There are literally so many books that sport morally dark and grey characters and some of them pull it off really nicley.
The ones I can think of are:
1. Six of crows (Kaz Brekker)
2. Shadow and Bone (Darkling)
3. A Darker shade of magic (Lila bard)
I know others but this is all I can think of right now.
Archaeoptery
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-archaeoptery.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Archaeoptery »

I decided to do a quick look at the meaning of the word and I would like to say that I have an author that does it in a number of his books. Thought I am would wrong. Brandon Sanderson is an author of several books that comes close to mind.
Bigwig1973
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Post by Bigwig1973 »

Dostoevsky's Notes From Underground might work. It's not a long book about a man at war, I think, with himself. Or, a man who imagines or is portraying someone who is at war with his own "superior" self with a conscience.
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”