Read in a foreign language?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
LSWS07
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lsws07.html
Latest Review: "Out of the Shadows and into the Darkness" by Senta Holland

Re: Read in a foreign language?

Post by LSWS07 »

My first language was Spanish, but because I do almost all my reading in English, I find it a little hard to read in Spanish. I can do it well, but it takes longer and I feel like I don't "get" it as much. Also, like others mentioned, I read in French and German as a way of becoming more proficient in the language.
Latest Review: "Out of the Shadows and into the Darkness" by Senta Holland
wolfx
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wolfx.html

Post by wolfx »

Yes, in English. :)
rida
Favorite Author: A lot
Favorite Book: More than favorite authors
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rida.html
Latest Review: "Skive" by Paul Adam Levy

Post by rida »

English is a foreign language to me too. But It doesn't seem foreign to me. Don't know why
Read, read & eat then read some more
Latest Review: "Skive" by Paul Adam Levy
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

Jealous of all of you who speak English as a second language!!! English as a first language just makes it impossible to learn a second language!
MaragothThorn
Favorite Author: GK Chesterton
Favorite Book: Father Elijah by Michael D. OBrien
Currently Reading: Skin by Ted Dekker
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maragoththorn.html
Latest Review: "Bad Endings" by David Bussell

Post by MaragothThorn »

I've read in Spanish, Italian, Latin, Greek and French, but so far my favorites are Latin and French, because I can get more into the story. Well...other than English, of course. And even when Spanish is my first language, I don't really like some of the pessimistic style that Spanish writings are written in.
Latest Review: "Bad Endings" by David Bussell
Revital
Favorite Author: Terry Pratchett
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revital.html
fav_author_id: 2791

Post by Revital »

I can read in Hebrew (my first language) and in English.
mallardmishaps
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mallardmishaps.html

Post by mallardmishaps »

I read chinese too, though I don't recall ever having picked up a chinese book out of anything but necessity. Now that I'm no longer obliged to actually study the cursed thing though, I'm actually looking forward to trying a real, unassigned novel. (My chinese has gotten a little rusty after a whole year of unuse though haha i hope it's sufficiently functional to see me through a whole book :shock: )
Embracing_Madness wrote:Oh I loved doing this! For anyone with an interest in reading great Chinese novels, I highly recommend Jin Yong's wuxia stories. I learned how to read traditional Chinese (the characters, not the grammar) in the vertical right-to-left style through his novels, which are fantastically plotty, full of adventure and great characters and romance. I always thought it was a pity that his books aren't translated into English - I'd love to see more people enjoying them!
Ooh, will definitely check those out. Thanks for the recommendation!
dhaines429

Post by dhaines429 »

I learned Spanish by taking university correspondence courses and to help me with my studies I read many books written in Spanish. When it comes to reading I think that a lot of books are probably better read in their original language if possible then nothing is lost in translation.
knighthkm
Favorite Author: Too many
Favorite Book: Also too many
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-knighthkm.html
Latest Review: "The Big Cats" by Enid Joyce

Post by knighthkm »

I try to read books in Chinese for practice with the language.
Latest Review: "The Big Cats" by Enid Joyce
jmeza10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jmeza10.html

Post by jmeza10 »

I read in both Spanish and english. I grew up with both so i don't have trouble understanding, but with the occasional Spanish word that i don't understand i pull out the spanish-english translating dictionary.
“It is said that power corrupts, but actually it's more true that power attracts the corruptible. The sane are usually attracted by other things than power" — David Brin
Himmelslicht
Favorite Author: Gabriel. G. Marquez
Favorite Book: One Hundred Years of Solitude
Currently Reading: Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-himmelslicht.html

Post by Himmelslicht »

I'm Portuguese so Portuguese is my mother tongue when it comes to reading. But I read in English and also Spanish if I have to. Been trying to learn German but it's quite a complex language.
"Travel makes one modest. You see what a tiny place you occupy in the world."
- Gustave Flaubert
Lilapo9
Favorite Author: Diane Duane
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 29675">The Ministry of Cantors</a>
Currently Reading: Handbook for Cantors
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lilapo9.html
Latest Review: "Memory of Miracles" by Beth Durkee
Reading Device: B00EM3WGYY
fav_author_id: 4363

Post by Lilapo9 »

My daughters did that with Spanish when they were in Spanish class in High School. They also made it a point of only talking in Spanish when they were chatting around home. When I was in German class in High School I did the same thing.
Latest Review: "Memory of Miracles" by Beth Durkee
SammieWonder
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sammiewonder.html

Post by SammieWonder »

I loved reading books while studying French! It was far more enjoyable than having to listen to my teachers horrible accent. She was very southern and didn't lose the southern drawl when speaking French. It was quite annoying.
Aivlys
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aivlys.html

Post by Aivlys »

English is my only native language BUT I occasionally pick up a kids book (I'm talking Dr. Seuss level or learn to read types) in Spanish or German. I took Spanish in high school and German in college so it amuses me to see whether I can pick my way through the kids books and how much looking up I have to do. I only know a very little bit of both languages but there's no reason to lose what little bit I do know by not using it at all.
jcheiser
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jcheiser.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks

Post by jcheiser »

I am working on acquiring some classics that are written in French. I would like to improve my French (which has gotten pretty rusty, unfortunately), and I think reading stories I already know will help. I would also love to read books that originally written in French, but I've had a hard time finding any. Does anyone have any good sources for original French novels?
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”