Read in a foreign language?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
toddwiese
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-toddwiese.html

Read in a foreign language?

Post by toddwiese »

Do you read in a foreign language? My wife is Dutch and I took some lessons to learn it while living in the Netherlands and I can speak it pretty well, but it takes me a lot longer to read a book in Dutch. I keep having to ask my wife what words mean. I want to keep at it so my Dutch can improve. I just met a guy who wants to read all his books in German, so his German can get better. I'm sticking with kids books currently; I mean really easy stuff.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Yes, English. :wink:

Good luck with learning. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
npandit
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-npandit.html
Latest Review: "Travel Instincts" by James C. Jensen

Post by npandit »

I knew a lady who learned English from reading books (she only used to speak Spanish), and I really wanted to follow in her example, and start reading books in Hindi, Spanish or Portuguese to help improve my competency in those languages. It is a little frustrating, however, and I didn't go through with it, but now I kind of want to start trying again. When you see things written in another language, you start to appreciate all the different, unique ways with which people can perceive and describe the world.
Latest Review: "Travel Instincts" by James C. Jensen
thym38
Favorite Author: Diana Wynne Jones
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thym38.html
fav_author_id: 3288

Post by thym38 »

I'm learning german so I wanted to test my skills. I decide to read harry potter and the philosopher's stone because I know the story very well and I even know a lot of it off by heart. Its very difficult to read in german because there are a lot of words I haven't learnt yet, but I keep a dictionary near and annotate words I do not know, and it does help my vocabulary, but also leaves me a bit confused and with lots of questions for my teacher. Another thing is, its not written literally and they have different expressions in german, so its a bit of a puzzle sometime to work out what a sentence is actually saying :)
toddwiese
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-toddwiese.html

Post by toddwiese »

Yes, and every language has its words and phrases that aren't translatable. My wife likes to read books in the original language they were written. She gets frustrated with bad translations of books. I'm not advanced enough in Dutch to encounter that problem. Of course I'm only reading kids books in Dutch.
PashaRu
Currently Reading: Vicars of Christ - The Dark Side of the Papacy
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pasharu.html
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd

Post by PashaRu »

I sometimes read in Russian. I don't know every word, but I can usually get the sense of it.
[Insert quote here. Read. Raise an eyebrow. Be mildly amused. Rinse & repeat.]
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd
AmandaR
Favorite Author: Way too many to list
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amandar.html
Latest Review: "Cinque Terre, Florence, Umbria" by Enrico Massetti

Post by AmandaR »

I can read a little in Korean and Spanish, though my translation is not always perfect. Working on Italian right now.
"If I can stop one heart from breaking, I shall not live in vain." - Emily Dickenson
TrishaAnn92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

I only read and speak English but that is an awesome way to learn! Good Luck! I want to learn a new language I might have to try learning that way. :)
AmandaR

Post by AmandaR »

Trisha,
It is an awesome way to learn a language, second only to speaking it. You should try it sometime.
"If I can stop one heart from breaking, I shall not live in vain." - Emily Dickenson
TrishaAnn92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

I definitely will. And it would even be good for teaching my babies to. :)
AmandaR

Post by AmandaR »

Absolutely! I was I had started younger because it is supposed to be so much easier to learn when you are young. They should be able to pick it up quickly. :-)
TrishaAnn92

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

They should my oldest is 2 my youngest born is almost 8 months and I have one in the way. They have family that doesn't speak much English but mostly spanish so this would be great for them.
AnaF
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anaf.html
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin

Post by AnaF »

Yes, in English, French and Spanish (I'm portuguese).
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin
Jbessy
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jbessy.html
Latest Review: Marco Martinez by R M Allan

Post by Jbessy »

Not yet but I'm looking forward to knowing a language well enough that this is practical.
Winter
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-winter.html
Latest Review: "The 30-Day Writing Challenge" by Sara Crawford

Post by Winter »

I live in France, so I read books in French to help my language skills. In the beginning, I read kids books and magazines, but that got boring fast. Then, I read contemporary books translated from English into French -- the language and phrasing tends to be easier to understand than books actually written in French. Now I read anything, but some books are still tough, even though I've been here for ten years. I just found a nifty technique, though -- read a book while at the same time listening to the audio book version. This lets you see it written, and also work on pronunciation. As a plus, I've also found that some classic literature is available free in ebook format, and online there are sometimes free audiobooks of them.
Latest Review: "The 30-Day Writing Challenge" by Sara Crawford

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”