New Reader

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
adamb83
Bookshelf Size: 0

New Reader

Post by adamb83 » 01 Sep 2008, 19:49

I know the title sounds ridiculous, but I am 21 years old and have yet to read any books that weren't forced upon me. It's not that I dislike reading, I just never considered it a form of entertainment. I read non-fiction, the news, and time magazine, but that's really just to keep informed.

Anyway, I'm really trying to get into the classics, but I don't know where to begin. I've recently began reading catch-22, and am thoroughly enjoying it. I never thought I could laugh so hard from a book.

My main goal is to become more cultured, and to have at least a partial grasp on lit. essentials.

I'm also looking to expand my knowledge in all areas of learning. I recently picked up "The intellectual devotional" and it has been incredibly interesting. I'm looking something similar to this.

Any suggestions you have would be great.

Looking for:

-American classics
-World classics
-Non-fiction, informative/Educational
-Essential poetry

I think the next book I purchase will be les miserables, since I saw this play when I was younger and loved it.

Thanks for your help

Nicole2
2017 Reading Goal: 0

Post by Nicole2 » 01 Sep 2008, 22:07

For a modern classics you would probably enjoy Kurt Vonnegut and John Irving.

For the classics, "Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde" is great. And, it's not often mentioned, but I really enjoyed "Gulliver's Travels".

Non-fiction, "Stiff" by Mary Roach is very entertaining, lots of laughs about the work of human cadavers. Also, really interesting and thought provoking. I've posted a full review in the "review and recommendations" forum on this site.

I also just finished an excellent book called "The Treatment & The Cure" by Peter Kocan that I'm recommending to everyone. It's about a 19 year old who is sentenced to a hospital for the criminally insane. Very interesting read. It's called a work of fiction by the author, but most agree it is more of a memoir using fictional names. Kocan was sentenced to a facility like this at the same age for attempted assasination of an Australian Labor leader.

For pure fun..."The Eyre Affair" by Jasper Fforde. It will make you want to read more classics.

Hope this all helps you out! Have fun!!!

page turner

Post by page turner » 02 Sep 2008, 07:41

I second The Eyre Affair -this is the book that got me interested in cassic books. The bonus is that all of Jasper Fforde's books are good and easy to read

Walktherain
2017 Reading Goal: 0

Post by Walktherain » 02 Sep 2008, 19:36

Hemingway's The Sun also Rises is a great classic that isn't as dry as most of hemingway's stuff. It's his best novel in my opinion. You should also check out Hemingway's short stories because they're phenomenal and tend to come up in conversation (at least with my friends). A great piece of contemporary work is Audrey Niffeneger's The Time Traveller's Wife. It's a quick read that made me cry.

elpark

Post by elpark » 02 Sep 2008, 19:47

One book I found very fun to read was, Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut. Really, you don't need to be some vocabulary & grammar maverick to understand this book because Vonnegut's writing style makes the book easy to understand, yet deep with a plot.

This book is considered a classic, especially after being written by the great Kurt Vonnegut.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”