Need help with your opinion, would you as a reader think there is a market for this kind of novel?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Lukeru
Bookshelf Size: 0

Icon Need help with your opinion, would you as a reader think there is a market for this kind of novel?

Post by Lukeru »

Hello there, first off to be clear, this is not promoting anything here at all (also no names or links here), just asking a question.
I'm asking this question on behalf of my friend, she has been working on a novel (her very first) for quite some time now, and is almost finished with writing it. The problem now is that she suddenly is extremely insecure and unsure if anyone AT ALL (like, even a single person) would even be interested in reading the kind of novel she is writing. So to hopefully answer her question even in the tiniest bit, I'm asking this so that she can hopefully get a tiny bit of assurance.

Now to the kind of novel itself; it's an ebook, sort of slice of life fantasy drama novel that is rather dialogue heavy. It's more targeted towards younger audiences (teen-young adult) and looking to be ~60k words in length. Also the cover is rather anime-styled (but not extremely anime, a bit more realistic stylewise (also don't worry, it does look professional)).
Now the question is if you think that there is a market for this kind of novel and if there would be any people interested in this. Or maybe even if you yourself would say this is something that would interest you or that you would pick up (again, not promoting anything).

Any honest and helpful answers would mean a lot since this insecurity has been extremely hard on her laterly and it could really help a lot. (Also, in case you think that this question doesn't really fit here, would you have a suggestion on where it might?) Thank you for reading and have a good day/night.
Eclecticmama
Favorite Author: Patricia Briggs
Currently Reading: Chasing Fireflies
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eclecticmama.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S
fav_author_id: 4314

Post by Eclecticmama »

I like heavy dialogue but it has to have great descriptions to go with it, otherwise the story can get tedious. But you really haven't described any of the plot so I can't really tell you if its the kind of story I would be into. I like fantasy, and since it is an ebook the cover really isn't much of an issue for me.
If your friend has a heart for her story then yes yes yes pursue this to the end and try to get it published. The worst thing they can do is reject it. So many stories have been denied multiple times before someone else gave them a shot, and low and behold it turned out to be a hit. (Harry Potter series was one example if I'm not mistaken) Best of luck to her, and please don't let the insecurities win!
RaidenX
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by RaidenX »

well i havent read your friends novel but from the description and genres yes sure it sounds like something that im interested in and that id like to read. im also pretty sure (or maybe would say i pretty much know) that there is other folks who also like this sorta thing and would be interested in these genres, so i wouldnt worry about that
im not a writer myself so i cant put myself into that situation but yeah like @Eclecticmama said good luck and dont give up. there is an audiance for this kinda kinda thing and good luck on finishing the writing and reaching said audiance!
Last edited by RaidenX on 05 May 2021, 12:50, edited 1 time in total.
Michelle Menezes
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-menezes.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Michelle Menezes »

I love fantasy novels, but to answer your question properly, I'd need to know a little about the plot. I usually pick up my books on the basis of the description, so if you could give me a short spoiler-free summary, that would be great.
AbandonedProfile1
Currently Reading: Where the Crawdads Sing
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annica-steyn.html
Latest Review: Eggstravagant Easter Eggs by Maya Elston

Post by AbandonedProfile1 »

It is scary to let a creation of yours go out into the world to be judged by others, but this is clearly something your friend cares about and has devoted a lot of time to. Not releasing the book guarantees that nobody will read it. Set the book free and the people that like that type of genre will find it (maybe not all at once) but it will surely resonate with somebody (or lots of somebodies...) out there if given the opportunity.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”