What length of books do you like most?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
RuthRoseRed
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... Fahrenheit 451</a>
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruthrosered.html
Reading Device: B00GWR36F6

Re: What length of books do you like most?

Post by RuthRoseRed »

The length of the book was never been a big issue if I stay interested in a book it goes by really fast anyway. I try to get the big chapter books that last 300 or so pages and it takes me a day or two, but depending if its good or not something much longer won't last me so long if I love it so much that I can't put it down. Likewise Something that's boring will last me weeks because I didn't want to read it in the first place.
commas are my thing
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commas-are-my-thing.html

Post by commas are my thing »

If the author is good and the reading is very smooth, and the pictures are painted in my mind, then I prefer books around 400-600 pages, like the last few books in the 'Harry Potter' series.
JElmore
Currently Reading: Anathema
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jelmore.html

Post by JElmore »

The longer the better. I read really fast so anything less than 600 is a tease.
KNewton
Favorite Author: Not possible to list
Favorite Book: Not possible to list
Currently Reading: A Bone To Pick (Aurora Teagarden, #2)
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-knewton.html

Post by KNewton »

I like books roughly 300-500 pages. Kind of depends on what I'm reading though and if I'm buying it or not.
[*]How Fear of the Unknown Hinders the Development of Informed Decisions by Dr. Seuss[*][/color]
linavillan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 30177">The Thinking Woman's Guide to Real Magic</a>
Bookshelf Size: 23

Post by linavillan »

Poly wrote:If I have a choice, I go for 500+ pages minimum. I read really fast when I'm in a reading mood, and I don't like it when I barely had time to get to know the characters/setting and it's already over. That said, an average length of 300 pages per book is acceptable when they're part of a series with at least 5 books.
Love books in a series, especially if it is a good read (more details = there is more to love)!

I do prefer books to be above 500 pages, but reading about others prefrence; I may consider picking up some books that are about 200 pages :wink:.
IzzyReklaw

Post by IzzyReklaw »

I, personally am a huge fan of short books. Not too short though has to be at least one hundred pages. But I think somewhere between 100-300 pages is a good amount. I like books that are quick and fun, I am here for a little adventure I'm not really here to devote my life to finishing the bloody thing. Books like The Catcher in The Rye, Fight Club, both powerful stories that could be set up and concluded beautifully in these that 250 pages. I think it takes a lot of talent on the authors behalf also.
Ejgard91
Currently Reading: The Two Towers (The Lord of the Rings)
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ejgard91.html
Latest Review: "Secrets of the Throne" by CC Rogers

Post by Ejgard91 »

It depends on whether or not I have to buy it. If I'm going to borrow a book, or it is free, I don't mind the length. Though, anything less than 200 pages and I'll need another one ready to go afterwards. If I'm buying a book, I would prefer it to be over 200 pages at minimum, and over 300 as a more suitable page length. There are times, though, that I have purchased a "smaller" book because the plot sounded irresistible. Basically, it all depends on the situation.
Latest Review: "Secrets of the Throne" by CC Rogers
wolfet
Currently Reading: Blind
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wolfet.html

Post by wolfet »

Really it depends on genre and subject matter. I have read awesome books that were long and others that were short. What really matters is how good the writing is.
fmg
Currently Reading: Atonement
Bookshelf Size: 57

Post by fmg »

I really don't limit myself with length in any way. I enjoy small books that you can read in an hour or so, like Camus' The Stranger, but I also really enjoyed the 1200 page brick that is Les Miserables. It honestly comes down to how accessible the language is and the subject matter for the larger books.
iandrearivera_
Currently Reading: Rebel Spring
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iandrearivera.html

Post by iandrearivera_ »

It really depends on the book. If it's really good then the number of pages doesn't really matter. If I HAD to choose a number of pages just for any book I'd probably say 300-400 is a good amount. I usually read 100 pages in a seating so having 300 pages means I can finish it that same day:)
keyana_taylor
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-keyana-taylor.html
Latest Review: "An end to the Thrill" by Varun Kumar
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by keyana_taylor »

I love a long book at least 350 + pages. I finish books shorter than that in under an hour if time is permitting. I have recently been trying to find extremely long books like 700+ but i'm learning it's really hard to do. And then when I do find them, the author has dragged on about every small detail I lose interest quick.
Latest Review: "An end to the Thrill" by Varun Kumar
Tracy B

Post by Tracy B »

I prefer books 300-400 pages. Anything less than that and I feel cheated. If the book is really good I would happily read a 600+ page book, but it would have to be well written, and be in a genre that I enjoy.
L1lly36

Post by L1lly36 »

Although I do read lengthy books I prefer novellas.
zjones99
Favorite Author: John Green
Currently Reading: Binge
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zjones99.html
fav_author_id: 2072

Post by zjones99 »

I like a good novel that is around 250-300 pages. After about 400 I start to get a little bored with it usually. There are some cases though that I end up loving the book and I don't care how long it is (example: Allegiant)
smanley2015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smanley2015.html

Post by smanley2015 »

It does not matter how many pages, But really loves series books!

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”