What length of books do you like most?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Hadiqa
Favorite Author: Infinite
Favorite Book: Hundreds
Currently Reading: How The Wolf Lost Her Heart by Sarah
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hadiqa.html

Re: What length of books do you like most?

Post by Hadiqa »

I will read a book with any length as long as it is interesting. There is no use of reading a 500 pages story when it is so boring you feel like skipping 200 pages. . . generally, I prefer 250-450 pages book
“We are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master.”
—Ernest Hemingway

Reading Now:
Nothing -_- Because of School
dixiewitch1989
Favorite Author: too many
Favorite Book: prefers fantasy
Currently Reading: tedd dekkers the lost books series
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dixiewitch1989.html

Post by dixiewitch1989 »

As long as it is interesting I will read any length of book but I do tend to go for 200+ pages
Poly
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poly.html

Post by Poly »

If I have a choice, I go for 500+ pages minimum. I read really fast when I'm in a reading mood, and I don't like it when I barely had time to get to know the characters/setting and it's already over. That said, an average length of 300 pages per book is acceptable when they're part of a series with at least 5 books.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

Hadiqa wrote:I will read a book with any length as long as it is interesting. There is no use of reading a 500 pages story when it is so boring you feel like skipping 200 pages. . . generally, I prefer 250-450 pages book
Well said.

I would much rather read a fast-paced short book than a book that is 500 pages long with so much unnecessary fluff. But if it's all important and fast-paced, then I wouldn't even notice the length.
Hendmosaad89
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hendmosaad89.html
Latest Review: "From Nathan to Nanako" by T.F. Wright

Post by Hendmosaad89 »

I think 400 pages is excellent for me. Not short and not long. Just enough to give me what I need from any book.
Latest Review: "From Nathan to Nanako" by T.F. Wright
Stevefromtheblock
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stevefromtheblock.html
Latest Review: "Short Shorts" by Alex Apostol

Post by Stevefromtheblock »

I like 300-400 pages. Shorter, it seems to go too fast. Longer, I feel like I'm running a marathon.
Latest Review: "Short Shorts" by Alex Apostol
Lisalovecraft
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisalovecraft.html
Latest Review: "A Devil of a Time" by Gretchen Jeannette

Post by Lisalovecraft »

This really depends on the quality of the book. Since I have began reading more e books, I prefer shorter books, 100-250 pages. Maybe I have less of an attention span with an electronic device. For paper books, I have less of a preference. Overall, I think the quality of the book counts more than the quantity of pages.
Latest Review: "A Devil of a Time" by Gretchen Jeannette
MHaswell15
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: Bag Of Bones
Currently Reading: Justifiable Homicide
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mhaswell15.html
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by MHaswell15 »

That depends on my genre preferences & writer. If Stephen King wrote a book that was
as long as War & Peace~I would be all over it, if Robert Ludlum wrote a book
that long I would pass on it.
Snickerdoodle9
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snickerdoodle9.html
fav_author_id: 2909

Post by Snickerdoodle9 »

Personally, the size of the book does not really matter to me. I care more about content then size. I love to read, and I am faster then the average reader. If I am reading a 700 page book, and it has a good plot I can finish it in 2-3 days, even on school days. As the size does not really matter I do not pay attention to how many pages a book has. I don't read really thin books because I find that if they are really thin and are a novel they are geared towards younger audiences. I think the average length for me is 300-500, although I read bigger and sometimes will read smaller.
TreeRhino

Post by TreeRhino »

I find that length is subjective. My favorite length is one that I can read in one sitting. That can be more or less than the apparent average of ~300. But take into account that word count isn't the only aspect to length. I'm a fan of typography and understand that different typefaces can influence the speed the words are read substantially. Not only that, the pacing of the book may drive the reader through at a breakneck pace or it may encourage a more sedate browse and review.
Adakage
Currently Reading: Book of Chefs
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adakage.html

Post by Adakage »

For me it really depends on the story. I've read 180-200 page books which were quite good but my most loved books are usually around 5-900.. :)
reyesmaribel47
Currently Reading: Light of Day
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyesmaribel47.html

Post by reyesmaribel47 »

I prefer a book with about 300 pages so that when I have a relaxing day I can sit down and finish it that same day. I don't pick my books based on their length but when I'm reading I do hope the book has a good flow and that it doesn't feel terribly long.
Eric Morris
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading: The Other Daughter
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jacnthabox.html
Latest Review: Acts of the Shaddai by Anthony Jones
fav_author_id: 4040

Post by Eric Morris »

I don't have a preference, but part of a book's enjoyability is the pacing. Sometimes a 200 page book could have been slowed down and expanded into 400 or 500 pages, while a 1,000 page book could have had 400 pages of fluff cut out. As long as the story is well-told and the intent of the author is delivered, then I'm game for any length.
Tell me something...You ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?
RedRidingHood_24
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-redridinghood-24.html

Post by RedRidingHood_24 »

Between 300 and 500 pages is usually my go to unless I'm in the mood for some deep reading.
alwaysreading75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alwaysreading75.html

Post by alwaysreading75 »

I like longer books. Because they get more into details. Which I can get into the book more.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”