Male or Female main character?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
jmontero31088
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jmontero31088.html

Re: Male or Female main character?

Post by jmontero31088 »

I tend to read more books with a female main character, but I enjoy reading both. I don't really prefer one over the other, I just tend to somehow pick the books that has a female as a main character.
tidepooldream
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tidepooldream.html

Post by tidepooldream »

I enjoy reading both, however, I tend to identify a little more with female characters because I'm female. :)
littlebookworm
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-littlebookworm.html

Post by littlebookworm »

I have to say male. If I'm reading "chick-lit" then I'm looking for something that is relate-able, so I'd say go female, but for most genres that I read I would like male. Mostly because I like to be able to see the story through someone else's eyes. If it's a girl's point of view, I seem to only see the way I would do something or how I would handle things differently or the same. It can distract me. With a male point of view, I get the chance to fully engage, look around and try to absorb as much as I can.

Idk if that makes ANY sense, lol.
kaylee16tw
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylee16tw.html
Latest Review: "Heaven and Earth" by Arturo Riojas

Post by kaylee16tw »

As a female it's a little bit harder to relate to a male main character, but if the book is good enough then I can still enjoy it easily.
Latest Review: "Heaven and Earth" by Arturo Riojas
read-by-Theresa

Post by read-by-Theresa »

I really don't think it matters to me either way if the main character is male or female. As long as the writing is good it doesn't matter. I do admit to reading more books with a female lead character but I think that is just because more are written that way.
Prisaneify
Currently Reading: Try Not To Breathe
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisaneify.html
Latest Review: "My Ladybird Story" by Magus Tor
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by Prisaneify »

I like female leads when they actually have depth and a point to the character. I want them all to be strong and amazing but I also understand that they all can't be incredible. Sometimes the crappiness of the character is what makes the book either good or bad. I'd say I read about 50/50. I don't ever go hunting for specifically a female or male lead though.
Latest Review: "My Ladybird Story" by Magus Tor
artemis822
Currently Reading: Master Class
Bookshelf Size: 186
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-artemis822.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by artemis822 »

It depends on what I'm in the mood for. That I tend to find more male protagonist in the books I read sometimes making me go looking for a female protagonist, though the reverse isn't true.
Lycaonia

Post by Lycaonia »

I don't care so much about the gender, as I do their personality. If I can't somehow relate to the protagonists, the book is totally ruined for me.
UVcandy+

Post by UVcandy+ »

I like a female lead for sure :) I find it's easier to connect to the character. I Haven't read a men's perspective in a while though so I'll probably switch it up after the Lunar Chronicles.
Vermont Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4468">Scam Prevention</a>
Currently Reading: A Roadmap To Career Success
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermont-reviews.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Vermont Reviews »

I like books with either male or female. The author can make the difference with the characters.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Sophi57
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophi57.html

Post by Sophi57 »

I tend to read books that have a female lead. I identify with female leads better than male leads.
1_2_5_am
Currently Reading: Once Upon a Time in Korea
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-1-2-5-am.html

Post by 1_2_5_am »

I don't mind either. I actually never even realized this, but I do read more books with Female POVs.
Although, it's never been intentional. :techie-reference:
lmoses
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lmoses.html
Latest Review: "Incandescent" by Shannon Avangeline

Post by lmoses »

When I was younger, I read more male lead books because my authors were male (James Patterson for example). Recently I find that I like more female dominated books but my favorite is when I can get dual POVs! This gives insight that into both characters, which I love!
Latest Review: "Incandescent" by Shannon Avangeline
fabulasaule
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fabulasaule.html

Post by fabulasaule »

I think it is not very important if the book is interesting. I just don't care as well as I don't care if the cover is blue or red.
tylerchristine
Currently Reading: The Perks of Being a Wallflower
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tylerchristine.html

Post by tylerchristine »

It don't think it really matters to me. My first thought was that I would prefer a female protagonist because I can relate more, and really put myself in her position, but to be honest some of my all time favorite books have a male protagonist and I have been able to relate to him just as easily. On the other hand their are characters I can't relate to regardless of gender, but I still enjoy reading their stories. So what I'm saying is...it doesn't really matter.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”