How long do you wait before starting a new book?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
AlainaElric
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110

Re: How long do you wait before starting a new book?

Post by AlainaElric »

You're supposed to wait?

I suppose my answer is... I don't.
uyky
Favorite Author: Charles de Lint
Currently Reading: Tapping the Dream Tree
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uyky.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
fav_author_id: 6861

Post by uyky »

If the book makes me think or emotionally stunned then until next day. But mostly an hour or I go right to next one. And most of the time I am reading more books at the same time.
Mailis
Currently Reading: The Employee Millionaire
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mailis.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Mailis »

Oh it's like an addiction for me, I usually choose a new one as soon I finish reading the previous one. Depending if it was good read or just mediocre I start reading an author I am sure I'll love or something that might surprise me either way.
Camille Turner
Currently Reading: Angela's Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-camille-turner.html
Latest Review: Hippocrates and The Hobgoblin: The Sedes Infernum by C.S. Colvin

Post by Camille Turner »

I love your question and answer because, for me, it's the opposite!! If a book was particularly amazing, I like to wait a few days to fully digest it and relish in it. If it wasn't so good, then I'm ready for the next book right away. Love hearing your different perspective!
Jfoust1988
Currently Reading: The Vampire Secret
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jfoust1988.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Post by Jfoust1988 »

I always try to have at least 3-5 options lined up by 3/4 of the way threw a book. If I really liked a book it may take 1/4 of the new book to fully grab my attention. I should probably wait a day or two after finishing a book.
NSehra
Currently Reading: Cinderella and Colonel
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by NSehra »

Depends on how deeply the previous one affected me...I sometimes take time to ponder upon it
Example : after I read the girl with a dragon tattoo I couldn't read another book for two weeks
Aituaje
Currently Reading: Heaven and Earth
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aituaje.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by Aituaje »

I begin my search for a new book immediately after finishing an old one, whether I liked it or not. It's just habitual. If I go to the library, I always borrow a stack of books so I can read one, put it down, then pick up another and start reading immediately. I tend to read in bursts; I will read like crazy for a few weeks then take a short break to recuperate (and draft up a new list of books to decimate) before moving on to the next batch of books. So within a set of books, I tend to read one after another. After that, I wait a while so I can draft up a new list.
gregs317
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by gregs317 »

I usually like to move right to the next book, after I finish one. I always like to read a little bit before going to bed, so it's important to have at least one other book on standby. :)
Javier Campos
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2696">One Hundred Years of Solitude</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-javier-campos.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Javier Campos »

I usually wait like a day or even a couple hours, there is ALWAYS another book waiting for me to read to the point it can get annoying.
BNazareno
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
fav_author_id: 2909

Post by BNazareno »

Before I get to finish a book there's already the next book ready on my side
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 776
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

I usually pick up one pick after the other upon reading each one. Now that a think about it, it sounds more like, dare I say, "I'm addicted to reading books".
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:
Jesscar6
Currently Reading: A Song of Ice and Fire
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesscar6.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Jesscar6 »

I tend to pick put my next book as soon as I'm finished. If my work shift happens to start the next day I'll wait to read it till after, since its a 7 days on 7 off, so I don't get time to read whilst I'm on shift.l due to the long hours.
DancingLady
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dancinglady.html
Latest Review: Believe What You Want To Believe by Alicia Kristine and George Williams

Post by DancingLady »

Maybe a few hours. I pretty much pick up the next one immediately in my next available free time. Now that I'm here, I go to select the next book seconds after submitting my review.
Caden Perry
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caden-perry.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by Caden Perry »

I guess that I didn't really notice that until now. I also wait longer after I finish a bad book. Usually about 1-3 days. Though after a good book I usually can't wait any longer than 12 hours.
KasieMiehlke
Currently Reading: The Hidden Village
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kasiemiehlke.html
Latest Review: Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

Post by KasieMiehlke »

M-Allmon wrote: 04 Mar 2014, 19:43 How long after finishing a book do you wait before starting another one? For me it depends on if I liked the book or not. If I really enjoyed the book then I will try to find another book almost immediately. If I didn't like the book then I'll usually wait a few days before trying to find another book. It's like the bad book puts me in a funk! :lol:
I thought I was the only one!

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”