How long do you wait before starting a new book?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
MFleisher
Currently Reading: Walden
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mfleisher.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: How long do you wait before starting a new book?

Post by MFleisher »

I do most of my reading before going to sleep, so if I finish one at night, I will wait until the next night to start another. Though recently, I was in a bit of funk and went about a week before I even thought of picking up another book.
StainedGlassTiger3
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by StainedGlassTiger3 »

I'm always reading several at one time.
Gannon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Colleen McCullough
Favorite Book: Pillars of the Earth
Currently Reading: Heaven's Net is Wide.
Bookshelf Size: 52
fav_author_id: 2863

Post by Gannon »

I will start a new book immediately after finishing the old one. I will literally put the old one on the shelf and start the new one straight away. :)
Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless. - Mother Teresa
Kimberly33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimberly33.html

Post by Kimberly33 »

I will jump right to another if I still have the time to read. I have so many lined up and I have started using kindle's unlimited plan that I am almost overwhelmed at my options! When I used to purchase them in paperback form or as full priced ebooks I would usually wait longer so I could still afford food and rent!
lmoses
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lmoses.html
Latest Review: "Incandescent" by Shannon Avangeline

Post by lmoses »

If I have the time to read, I typically jump right into a new novel. There have been a few times when I found a book emotionally taxing, and needed a day or two to recover from being "in that world" but I love reading so a book a day is what I try to get in.
Latest Review: "Incandescent" by Shannon Avangeline
kitsune1997
Favorite Author: Derek Laundy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitsune1997.html
Latest Review: The Devil Pulls the Strings by J. W. Zarek

Post by kitsune1997 »

Immediately whether it was good or bad. if it was bad, I try even faster to do so, because reading another book helps me forget my "bad experience".
I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library.
Jorge Luis Borges
Momlovesbooks
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Book for Oreo
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-momlovesbooks.html
Latest Review: Winter's Kiss by H.L. Hines

Post by Momlovesbooks »

I'm usually reading more than one book at a time, but different genres. Usually a fiction and a non-fiction. If I finish a really compelling book that I'm trying to come back to reality from, I may wait a day or two before starting something new. If I've already started something, I'll try to finish it.
Annelore Trujillo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 170
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annelore-trujillo.html
Latest Review: The Siberians by Simon J. Carey

Post by Annelore Trujillo »

I don't waste any time at all. I usually have another book lined up to start as soon as I finish the last. Now that I've started doing reviews, I give myself enough time to write a good review and then I'm on to the next one.
Kkerr2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kkerr2.html

Post by Kkerr2 »

I kind of go through three possible stages:

1. I loved, loved, LOVED the book and am stuck in that universe, therefore it will take me up to a week to start any other books (unless the next book in the series is available)

2. I am eager to read a new story and jump right in the day after I finish a book (I always take a breather day to settle)

3. I go through a funk because the book I just finished threw me into an emotional rollercoaster and I have no desire to read anything haha
missycandy
Currently Reading: Life of Pi
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-missycandy.html

Post by missycandy »

I normal cant wait to start another so I either start the next one right away or I will give it a day just to let the book I just finished sink in.
barb429
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barb429.html
Latest Review: "Tears That Changed a Nation" by Charles L. Tucker
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by barb429 »

I usually start a new book almost immediately after finishing one. I usually can't wait to start my next adventure.
Latest Review: "Tears That Changed a Nation" by Charles L. Tucker
annelamb
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annelamb.html

Post by annelamb »

For me it depends on how busy life is. I generally read books straight through with as little interruptions as possible. I guess I don't have enough patience to only read occasionally. For that reason, I have to give myself breaks between books so that I can accomplish other productive things in my life. :) So depending on how busy I am, I like to wait a week or two between books.
Sakuko

Post by Sakuko »

I always start reading something else right away. I'm reading while commuting, so when it looks like I might get the book done that day I'll take a second one for backup.
anapessoa

Post by anapessoa »

When I finish a book I immediately have the next one in front of me and I start reading it. :)
adria_charles
Currently Reading: The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up
Bookshelf Size: 268
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adria-charles.html
Latest Review: "Turka Bella" by Jonathan Feldman

Post by adria_charles »

Depends on if I can keep reading after I finish a book. Liking or disliking a book doesn't keep me from starting a new book. Life keeps me from starting a new book once I finish one.
Latest Review: "Turka Bella" by Jonathan Feldman

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”