How long do you wait before starting a new book?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
_mylilyotv
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9

Re: How long do you wait before starting a new book?

Post by _mylilyotv »

I think it kind of depends. If I really enjoyed the book and got completely drawn in then I have to wait a few days, to let it all sink in I guess. If I didn't enjoy the book then I tend to start a new book pretty much straight away.
ccranston
Favorite Book: The Last Time I Lied
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ccranston.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by ccranston »

I think it depends on how the book left me feeling. Sometimes I'll finish a book and have so many emotions that I have to digest them for a while before picking up something new. Other times I find an interesting topic that I want to read more about and end up reading several books, one right after the other.
“You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend." –Paul Sweeney
Tamorie Hargro
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Billy Summers
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tamorie-hargro.html
Latest Review: Teardrops by Helen Burger
Reading Device: B083JVJQH4

Post by Tamorie Hargro »

I've never actually stuck to a common time period where I go cold on reading. Sometimes I could dig right into another book after having finished one, but then other times I might find myself not reading for a few months! I think it depends mostly on how comfortable I am in my everyday life. If I don't feel stressed and that I could fit a book into my time (even when I have ample spare time, but stress works the mind in strange ways) then I'll find myself reading as much as I can to enjoy my free time! :)
J.K. Rowling - Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban wrote:Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light. 🔥
Nanig83006
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nanig83006.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by Nanig83006 »

Immediately. Sometimes I’ll have another title in mind before finishing the current novel. Honesty, I should give myself some time. On occasion, I’ll find myself run down from reading one story then another so close together. If I’m left with a bad taste from the last book, I believe it carries over into the next, which is unfair to the book, author, and myself.
Bukari
Currently Reading: Everything Solid Has a Shadow
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bukari.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Bukari »

Good books make people get value for the time used in reading. But after finishing a book that was difficult to follow or one with a lot of jargons I didn't understand, I feel disappointed and discouraged to immediately start a new book.
"Ever Tried. Ever Failed. No Matter. Try Again. Fail Again. Fail Better." - Samuel Beckett.
catherinecsoto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catherinecsoto.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by catherinecsoto »

I don’t think there’s a time for when I’m gonna start a book. If I know this day is going to be a free day, I’m gonna start the book in an instant and try to finish it within the day.
EmeraldEyes8918
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 58

Post by EmeraldEyes8918 »

Usually a few days after I have finished, as I like to take time to choose the next book and really concentrate and give it my full attention. I also like to let the previous story sit for a while especially if it's memorable or has made me emotional. Then it's onto the next adventure! :)
Sarah Starling
Favorite Author: Alix E. Harrow
Favorite Book: Starling House
Currently Reading: Love and Other Words
Bookshelf Size: 10084
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-starling.html
Latest Review: Cell Biology For Babies by Dr. Haitham Ahmed
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 176795

Post by Sarah Starling »

It depends on the book. If it was just okay, I'll start a new one immediately. If it was a life changing, amazing book, I'll wait a day or two so I can relish the one I finished.
CrimsonPrincess24
Currently Reading: success bound
Bookshelf Size: 48

Post by CrimsonPrincess24 »

Most likely after finishing a book, I immediately started reading a new one.
Juliar252
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliar252.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by Juliar252 »

I usually start a new book right after I finish my current book. At most I may wait a day.
Runningmama
Currently Reading: Passion
Bookshelf Size: 23

Post by Runningmama »

I’m usually reading two or three at a time - so there is never a waiting period, but a constant flux of new stories and memoirs.
1ditzyrn
Favorite Book: Desire
Currently Reading: Daisies and Dragon Slayers In The Equator
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-1ditzyrn.html
Latest Review: Genesis (The Infinity Series, Vol.2) by Bellamy Westbay
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by 1ditzyrn »

I usually start the next book right away, especially if the book I just finished is part of a series. I have to know what happens next!
zarah_
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zarah.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by zarah_ »

M-Allmon wrote: 04 Mar 2014, 19:43 If I really enjoyed the book then I will try to find another book almost immediately.
We're the opposite. If I really enjoyed the book, it could take me a few days or a week before I read another book because I will still be hung up on the recent one.
Alice Thokchom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thokchom-alice.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Alice Thokchom »

I wait for at least one day to absorb and ponder upon the book that I finished reading.
A joke is to entertain people. If it fails to do so, it's something else!
DakotaA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dakotaa.html
Latest Review: Purgatory's Angel by B Hughes-Millman

Post by DakotaA »

I find that if I finish a book feeling unsatisfied with the ending then I will rent a new book and start it pretty much right away. If I'm really happy with a book ending (and sometimes this means I'm totally devastated and am probably crying) then I might need a day or two.
Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”