Audiobooks or the real thing?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
garykaz
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Audiobooks or the real thing?

Post by garykaz »

Both! They are both great ways to enjoy good writing. However, the key to a great audiobook is the reader.
jillyshub52+
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: The Stand
Currently Reading: Revival
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jillyshub52.html
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by jillyshub52+ »

Oh I will always choose an actual book. Nothing beats the feeling of holding a physical book in your hands. However, I will admit that I am rather fond of Audiobooks in the form of PlayAways. It's like I'm listening to a book on a tiny ipod. As much as I love cds it just just doesn't make sense for me to carry cd players around with me anymore, not since the 90s. (this is when I am unable to convert one of the discs to mp3 format)
TammyO
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Persuasion
Currently Reading: The Husbands Secret
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tammyo.html
Latest Review: "Double Identity" by Jaye C Blakemore
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by TammyO »

I love them both. I never imagined I'd love audiobooks. However, the kindle or the kindle app has a feature where you can read or listen to the book without losing your place. This is so fantastic! Sometimes I prefer reading and other times I enjoy being read to. It's really a great experience. I absolutely love it. I started using the audio feature after purchasing Gone Girl the novel. I must say the beginning of that book nearly bored me to tears; it was soo slow. I kept starting and stopping because I could not stay focused. Then I decided to listen to it instead and I eventually began enjoying it. It's really the best of both worlds..
"The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense." ~Tom Clancy
Latest Review: "Double Identity" by Jaye C Blakemore
Dando
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dando.html
Latest Review: "The Broken Gift" by Daniel friedmann

Post by Dando »

They don't replace reading, but I love to have audio books going when I am doing something like driving or cleaning.
Latest Review: "The Broken Gift" by Daniel friedmann
3chicnP
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-3chicnp.html

Post by 3chicnP »

I only buy audiobooks when I'm reading classics. I can never focus while reading them so I need to purchase them. If it's anything other than classics, I always buy the physical copy.
I am a free spirit
like mafia
Himmelslicht
Favorite Author: Gabriel. G. Marquez
Favorite Book: One Hundred Years of Solitude
Currently Reading: Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-himmelslicht.html

Post by Himmelslicht »

I don't even know what an audiobook is like. And I'm not interested. I like to read with my eyes and follow the words next at my own pace. And hear my own voice in my head.
And, of course, I don't see exactly how that's reading. That's closer to listening to music or to someone telling you a story around the fireplace or a bonfire :P

Plus, I understand all the words if I read, but if I hear them I'm sure one or another will escape my attention or understanding. Sometimes I also get distracted too easily. It's easier to go back with my eyes than with the rewind button.
"Travel makes one modest. You see what a tiny place you occupy in the world."
- Gustave Flaubert
Esies98
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esies98.html

Post by Esies98 »

I definitively rather having the real book, feel it in my hands and see the how the words are written, thats the only way I feel really connected to the story and the characters
BookLover1997
Currently Reading: The Big Bad Wolf
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklover1997.html

Post by BookLover1997 »

I much prefer the real thing, mostly because of the dialogue. I think if the books I listened to had men reading for male roles and women reading for female roles I'd listen to more books. This may just be because I tend to read mostly romance books though!
lakenbutler
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lakenbutler.html

Post by lakenbutler »

New reader chiming in! Personally, I say audiobooks aren't even reading. Reading was never about listening to a controlled voice read to you. I hated that when I was younger. Reading was and is about feeling the pages between your fingers as you flip the page. Just my opinion.
Strangerthanfiction
Currently Reading: Night Seeker
Bookshelf Size: 304
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strangerthanfiction.html

Post by Strangerthanfiction »

I used to be anti audiobook for quite a long time, but over the last year or so I have discovered that I actually love my audiobooks. I get to have my cake and eat it too so to speak. I used to read books while in the treadmill. Lol (yeah I know) Now I can enjoy "reading" with audiobooks while exercising, doing boring chores and just about anything else. I still read books but the addition of audiobooks has really enhanced my experience.
“You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.” – Paul Sweeney
pinstar
Currently Reading: Unspeakable Acts (Unpublished Old Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by pinstar »

Real thing, I just like holding and reading a book. I can barely listen to music while driving so I dont think an audio book there would go over well...
easy_dc13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-easy-dc13.html
Latest Review: A Trace of Revenge by Lyle Howard

Post by easy_dc13 »

Nothing beats the real thing for me. An audiobook reader can have the greatest voice in the world but there's just something else with being able to hold a book (whichever way you want it), reading at your own pace, and then turning each and every page. So, real book over audiobook.
Wasif Ahmed
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: The Face of Fear
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wasif-ahmed.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00THRCA6E
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Wasif Ahmed »

The real thing definitely..... I sometimes skip a few lines or read a few paragraphs again which can't be done with a audiobook. Plus with a audiobook i am not properly able to create a picture of the book in my brain.
When people say you've changed, it just means that you have stopped living your life, their way.
Scerakor
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Post by Scerakor »

Each have their own place in my opinion. I listen to audiobooks when I can't read (Driving, cleaning, biking, etc). I also have a complicated (not really, but I'd like to say it is) selection criteria for what is consumed via audio and what is consumed via "real" reading.
Dh_
Favorite Author: Alex Flinn
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 714">Carry On</a>
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dh.html
Latest Review: "Nobody Cares Who You Are - The Life and Times of Aceman, A Widespread Panic Roadie" by Larry Acquaviva
fav_author_id: 4010

Post by Dh_ »

Definitely the real thing. Nothing beats the feeling of a real book in your hands, but I understand how it could be convenient and less time-consuming to use audiobooks.
Latest Review: "Nobody Cares Who You Are - The Life and Times of Aceman, A Widespread Panic Roadie" by Larry Acquaviva

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”