How many books do you read at once?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
eolafsen
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eolafsen.html

Re: How many books do you read at once?

Post by eolafsen »

My max is 3. Beyond that I start to mix storylines and characters, and everything gets very confusing.
LotusX
Currently Reading: Dune
Bookshelf Size: 667
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lotusx.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by LotusX »

It depends on the situation. I'm almost always reading at least one book, but there are times when a library book hold comes up and I know I only have 21 days to get through the book. I'll start reading that one and put the other on hold temporarily to make sure I finish the library book. Other times, a book is just getting too heavy or dull and I need a different genre for a little while. This happened with Dune last year. I still haven't gone back to it and I'm halfway through it. It's a great book, don't get me wrong, but in the middle with all the battles, it got a bit overwhelming. It also happened with A Discovery of Witches and its sequel. It usually happens when a book is particularly hard for me to get through and yet I'm invested enough that I don't want to shelve it completely. And lastly, there are times when I'm reading a book I enjoy, but I happen upon a book that just seems so compelling, I haven to read it right then. Usually, when I'm browsing someone's book lists or if I'm in an online course and the professor recommends a book. Oh, and also... Since goodreads has things like comic books, graphic novels, cookbooks, self-help, etc., I'm usually reading a few of those at a time because they're of a different nature than literary books.
DiLav

Post by DiLav »

I usually have two going at once, one being more tedious and historical or biographical.
alimsj827
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alimsj827.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes

Post by alimsj827 »

Haha, I definitely switch around. Meaning, certain times I can only read one book but others I have to be reading a bunch of books. Usually, it is with series where I only focus on one book, so that I can race through the series. When I'm reading stand alone books, it's not uncommon that my heart can't handle the book and so I break it up my reading many books to avoid facing the reality that some books are sad. And sometimes, I too, get extra caught up in one book to put it down (cough cough Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy cough cough) but other books get thrown across the room in frustration. It all depends to be frank, by mind can't make a decision about the type of reader it wants to be.
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
Carole_37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carole-37.html

Post by Carole_37 »

I usually read one book at a time, but it has happened that I've alternated between two books.
missycandy
Currently Reading: Life of Pi
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-missycandy.html

Post by missycandy »

I prefer reading one at a time but some time I read 2 one physical book and one on my phone or tablet
Pipermaru82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pipermaru82.html

Post by Pipermaru82 »

The most I have ever read at once is three. I couldn't keep up with more books than that, I think. I'm currently reading three books at once right now. I always find that if I'm reading too many at once, one always gets left out and I don't think that's very fair to the books.
usa_g

Post by usa_g »

2 or 3 usually. Sometimes, if a book is really good, just one.
Jennifer Allsbrook
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading: An American Hedge Fund
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-allsbrook.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by Jennifer Allsbrook »

I am a one book at a time gal! The only exception to this might be when I am reading fiction and then have to read a nonfiction book for a class or some other reason. I do find the nonfiction is something I avoid most of the time.
furybeginner
Currently Reading: Needful Things
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-furybeginner.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by furybeginner »

I limited myself to reading less than 5 books at a time. I have the habit of starting a new book and forget to continue reading the previous ones. My ability to keep myself absorbed in one book at a time, or any other thing for that matter, can be considered nonexistent. :) :oops:
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
dreamingrover
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dreamingrover.html

Post by dreamingrover »

I can't just read one book at a time. I just can't do it. I have to have at least two on the go, sometimes three, but no more than 4! I'm a really impatient person, and unless one book just sucks me in right away, I can't sit and focus on one for a super long time. Its actually a little annoying sometimes haha!
lolashoes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lolashoes.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by lolashoes »

Two books at most in my case. But if I'm reading a really good book, i typically just stick to it.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Hneite
Currently Reading: The Shadow Rising (Wheel of Time, #4)
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reading Device: B0B3PSRHHN

Post by Hneite »

I am unable to read two books at the same time but i often switch between several before i finish one.
ebeth
Currently Reading: The Color of Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebeth.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Reading Device: B0097BEFA4

Post by ebeth »

I can read more than one book at a time. I always have a book by my bed to read before I go to bed at night. Than I can flip back and forth from book to book on my kindle app.
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Carla Hurst-Chandler
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Pirzig
Favorite Book: Zen and the Art...
Currently Reading: The Lost Landscape
Bookshelf Size: 124

Post by Carla Hurst-Chandler »

Usually two. One fiction and one non-fiction.
“The real cycle you're working on is a cycle called yourself.”
― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”