How many books do you read at once?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
BeatrixPotter
Favorite Book: A Higher Loyalty
Currently Reading: The Nightingale
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beatrixpotter.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Re: How many books do you read at once?

Post by BeatrixPotter »

I usually have more than one going at a time. As to how I do it, I learned to juggle in college and grad school. It comes with practice. In grad school especially, they just give out a syllabus at the start of the term, and it's your responsibility to read them.

Some things have to be digested, so I will read a chapter, or 20 pages of it at a time. If a book is heavy or sad, I have to put it down. Anything that requires concentration should be read early in the day.
Then later or the next day I'll read something else. I read light stuff such as fiction before bed.

But that's just me.
"There's so much more to a book than just the reading."
-- Maurice Sendak
Sarah G
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-g.html
Latest Review: Smith by Sam B Miller II
fav_author_id: 4040

Post by Sarah G »

If I've never read the book before then I think it's only best to read one book at a time so you can put all your effort and concentration. Plus it's easier to lose yourself in a story that way
The purpose of a storyteller is not to tell you how to think, but to give you questions to think upon
Allie_L
Currently Reading: The Name of the Wind
Bookshelf Size: 25

Post by Allie_L »

I try to keep it to one book at a time, but its not unusual for me to be listening to an audiobook while I'm working and reading a different book when I'm at home.
lbhatters
Favorite Book: Life is Too Short to Waste and Do Nothing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lbhatters.html
Latest Review: Life is to Short to Waste and do Nothing by Gracie Curry Holman
Reading Device: B077WTB2LY

Post by lbhatters »

I can read three at once, as long as the genres are different. Otherwise it can get a little confusing. I enjoy switching the books around, and having several books at once. It gives my imagination variety.
:techie-studyinggray: Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible.
-Fransis of Assisi

It's perfectly ok to write garbage, as long as you edit brilliantly.
-C.J. Cherryh
Eileen R
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Currently Reading: Toni the Superhero
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eileen-r.html
Latest Review: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient by Colleen Huber, NMD

Post by Eileen R »

I can only read one book at time. If I'm engrossed in a book I don't want distractions and adding another book is a distraction for me.
gregs317
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by gregs317 »

Usually about 2 books at the same time, but sometimes just one, depending on the circumstances.

Currently, I just finished one book today and picked up with the 2nd book full-time. I'm waiting for 2 new books to arrive, so I plan to start one of those right away.

Thankfully I've never had a problem with getting story lines confused between the 2 books that I am reading concurrently.
Osuma
Currently Reading: Ruby's Choice
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Osuma »

Wow This Question Some How Had To Answer 'but One Thing I Know Is That Its Only When Someone Is Doing A Rewiewing Or Writen A Book That He Can Read More Than One Book!
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

I have this tendency to start at least 3 books at one time. It does not happen always, but happens often when I start one book and initially I am not that much interested. So I start browsing other books as well. But after reading them all simultaneously for some time, I tend to pick up one of them more and more, then that becomes my read. After I complete that I continue with the others. But sometimes I lose the thread, so have to start all over again. I don't know, is this habit weird?
Haute_Coffee
Currently Reading: Pimp
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-haute-coffee.html
Latest Review: A Stone of Hope by Janet S. Kleinman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Haute_Coffee »

Aryastark wrote: 04 May 2018, 04:36 I have this tendency to start at least 3 books at one time. It does not happen always, but happens often when I start one book and initially I am not that much interested. So I start browsing other books as well. But after reading them all simultaneously for some time, I tend to pick up one of them more and more, then that becomes my read. After I complete that I continue with the others. But sometimes I lose the thread, so have to start all over again. I don't know, is this habit weird?
I’m like that; I may be reading three or four at once but the storyline of one might really take off and I get engrossed in it. But I like that I always have more waiting. Reduces the Book Hangover lol.
Shrabastee Chakraborty

Haute_Coffee wrote: 04 May 2018, 08:26
Aryastark wrote: 04 May 2018, 04:36 I have this tendency to start at least 3 books at one time. It does not happen always, but happens often when I start one book and initially I am not that much interested. So I start browsing other books as well. But after reading them all simultaneously for some time, I tend to pick up one of them more and more, then that becomes my read. After I complete that I continue with the others. But sometimes I lose the thread, so have to start all over again. I don't know, is this habit weird?
I’m like that; I may be reading three or four at once but the storyline of one might really take off and I get engrossed in it. But I like that I always have more waiting. Reduces the Book Hangover lol.
True indeed! I can simply jump to the next book in line after I am done with the current one! :D
Shrabastee Chakraborty

Haute_Coffee wrote: 04 May 2018, 08:26
True indeed! I can simply jump to the next book in line after I am done with the current one! :D
Mely918
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mely918.html
Latest Review: I'm Going to Kill that Cat by F. Della Notte

Post by Mely918 »

I'm not good at reading more than one book at once, though I have tried doing so before. I just become a confused mess and begin to confuse the various book plots. It's not the best way for me to enjoy the reading experience.
Ronaponka
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ronaponka »

For me i can read about 1 novel a day if im not busy . i dont want switching books i stick to one until final episode finishes. But if books are educational or simple i can read up to 5
thaservices1
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thaservices1.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by thaservices1 »

Usually just one. Sometimes I'll read a non fiction at the same, I usually do those types of knowledge books a chapter of two at a time then go back to my current read.
"It is not the critic that counts..."
- Roosevelt
Brittany J
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brittany-j.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Brittany J »

I often read two books at a time, one fiction and one non-fiction. I can switch it up depending on my mood.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”