The smell of new books

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Adonis Maratos
Favorite Author: Terry Pratchett
Favorite Book: thief of time
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adonis-maratos.html
Latest Review: "All myths and facts about Sri Ganesh" by Raja Bhowmik
fav_author_id: 2791

The smell of new books

Post by Adonis Maratos »

What is it with people saying they love the smell of new books? I have never purchased an unused book that didn't faintly smell of chemicals. Old books though, they have a proper smell, a wonderful smell. It varies as the life the book has led varies but it always smells like the passage of time, it smells like an adventure. The book's smell tells another story than the one the book itself has written. All in all, I find it hard to understand what y' all are talking about when you talk about 'new books smell' :p
"We are what we repeatedly do, excellence; therefore is not an act, but a habit" - Aristotle
GliddenBooks
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gliddenbooks.html
Latest Review: "My Gay Dream" by Alex Ikke-Tuppel

Post by GliddenBooks »

I have to agree. Old books definitely have a particular, alluring smell that I adore. But new books, not so much. I suppose this preference boils down to individual gravitation towards different aesthetics. Now, new books definitely have that crisp, sterile thing going for them, if that's what your into. I, however, prefer old, worn books, especially ones with written dedications or notes in the margins; for me, that is like sharing something very sentimental with an unknown stranger who loved this old book, just the way you hope to after you've read it.
Latest Review: "My Gay Dream" by Alex Ikke-Tuppel
Amberle
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amberle.html

Post by Amberle »

I have to say I love both smells, though I'm glad someone has pointed out the distinction. The smell of old books is soft and comforting and full of mysterious history, and I love that as much as I do finding someone's name scrawled in the front cover, or coming across an underlined passage right in the middle of the book and wondering whose day those words changed, and how long ago, and all the rest of it. But the chemically-new-paper and fresh ink and glue smells of a new book always fill me with hope and excitement, and make me feel almost sinfully luxurious (buying new, supporting landfills, ruining the world in the most well-intentioned way possible, one page at a time)...
KLyons1
Favorite Author: Many
Favorite Book: See Favorite Author
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klyons1.html
Latest Review: "A Vision of Angels" by Timothy Jay Smith

Post by KLyons1 »

I don't usually notice the smell of an individual new book, but definitely notice the aroma when I walk into a bookstore, whether new or used. There have been articles indicating that there is a scientific basis for the appeal of the used-book smell; something to do with the molecules paper gives off as it ages being particularly appealing.
Latest Review: "A Vision of Angels" by Timothy Jay Smith
leasanders99

Post by leasanders99 »

I have to say I do not really smell the books, but when I walk into a store it has the "book smell" and I absolutely adore it.
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

Old actors say there is nothing to match "the smell of the greasepaint" - it's the same for book lovers, nothing quite matches the smell of a new book, tied up as it is with the thrill of anticipation & the promise of pleasure.
Or it might just be printers ink! :lol: :lol: :lol:
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
Adonis Maratos

Post by Adonis Maratos »

Fran wrote:Old actors say there is nothing to match "the smell of the greasepaint" - it's the same for book lovers, nothing quite matches the smell of a new book, tied up as it is with the thrill of anticipation & the promise of pleasure.
Or it might just be printers ink! :lol: :lol: :lol:
A-HA! so maybe it's more of a psychological thing.... or maybe, just hear me out, the illuminati are putting some kind of substance to control all of our minds.... Yes that's it, someone call Dan Brown please, or maybe.... I bet he's into this too......
"We are what we repeatedly do, excellence; therefore is not an act, but a habit" - Aristotle
N_Simpson21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n-simpson21.html

Post by N_Simpson21 »

Perhaps it's just the smell of a new book that triggers a deeper meaning. For example, once you open that new book and get a whiff of its unread pages, you garner a sense of excitement for the journey you are about to take through its many untouched pages. Just a thought.
Adonis Maratos

Post by Adonis Maratos »

Illuminati I tell you xD
Fran

Post by Fran »

Adonis Maratos wrote:Illuminati I tell you xD
Certainly would explain the popularity of "certain" books :shock:
- My Home by Clive James
Ant
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 1

Post by Ant »

As I get most of my reading material from the library it's like a breath of fresh air when I do get to read a new book. Some books at the library have that musty smell that isn't unpleasant, but sometimes the dust gets up my nose. :|
arobinson214
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arobinson214.html

Post by arobinson214 »

New books don't have that wonderful book smell. Just old books like ones found in libraries or small bookstores. Used books. But new books don't really smell like anything special.
Fran

Post by Fran »

arobinson214 wrote:New books don't have that wonderful book smell. Just old books like ones found in libraries or small bookstores. Used books. But new books don't really smell like anything special.
Of course they do ... that warm papery smell. You must be smelling the wrong books :lol: :lol:
- My Home by Clive James
Sherlock_1
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sherlock-1.html
Latest Review: "Kingdom of the Sun" by Ariffa Bevin

Post by Sherlock_1 »

I like the dusty smell of old books the best. It feels like they have a history.
Latest Review: "Kingdom of the Sun" by Ariffa Bevin
Ashey87

Post by Ashey87 »

I admit i do love the smell of new books, yet I also love the smell of used ones as well. But as for new ones, it is hard to describe, that has always been one of my favorite smell. And a book store that also has a coffee shop in it...the smell of coffee combined with the new book smell is awesome :D 8) :roll:

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”