Does reading bring out strong emotions in you?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Tanafee
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Does reading bring out strong emotions in you?

Post by Tanafee »

Yes! I always cry when a character does!! The last book I read killed off the main character and I was so mad! I wanted to write a strongly written letter and just go explain yourself!
hasreadit

Post by hasreadit »

Normally I don't feel much emotion throughout books, just a little anger, but sad endings always get me. And the there was The Fault in Our Stars, which I fully admit I cried throughout over half of.
salberson 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salberson-10.html

Post by salberson 10 »

Yes I cry I get mad stomp my feet - I smile and laugh--- it intensifies every emotion
SidnayC
Favorite Book: I am yet to read a book worthy
Currently Reading: Inescapable by Amy Bartol
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sidnayc.html
Latest Review: "Vampire prince" by Iris van Gorp

Post by SidnayC »

yes but like I said before it is more genuinely towards the author because of their writing style than the characters of the actual book.
There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you - Maya Angelou
Latest Review: "Vampire prince" by Iris van Gorp
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

Yes, definitely. Especially when I read books where I can completely relate to the character or situation, I get extremely emotional. Sometimes it's hard for me to describe how I feel and when i read books about characters that I can relate to, and they experience something and I am going through something similar, makes it extra emotional.
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
thenameisZelda
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thenameiszelda.html
Latest Review: "Asian Recipes" by Muhammad saleem malik

Post by thenameisZelda »

If the story is well written. I become attached to the characters in the story. Almost as if I know them personally. Good authors use this connection to their advantage. They want you to feel a certain way towards certain characters. They can also elicit strong emotions by causing things to happen to said characters.
Latest Review: "Asian Recipes" by Muhammad saleem malik
Chrysa Pap

Post by Chrysa Pap »

Yes! The feels. Omg the feels.
ipekbunsal
Currently Reading: Gift of Prophecy
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ipekbunsal.html
Latest Review: "Gift of Prophecy" by Lina Gardiner

Post by ipekbunsal »

All the time.
Sometimes I can't get over a book and start a new one. It feels like a burden to continue living my life. Maybe I exaggerated a little bit, but it's true.
“And, when you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.”
― Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist
Latest Review: "Gift of Prophecy" by Lina Gardiner
Jabori
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jabori.html

Post by Jabori »

Absolutely, I'm not a very emotional person but some of my favorite authors have made me cry like a newborn or infuriated me to the point where i had to put down the book cause of the main villain.
sand1
Favorite Book: mara daughter of the nile
Currently Reading: grey wolves series
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sand1.html

Post by sand1 »

I cry all the time for me reading a book is even more vivid than watching a movie and I usually inject myself into the story without realizing it half the time. My family mostly makes fun of me for squealing for lack of a better term when I am reading a good part and think it is funny
allesha
Favorite Author: Scott Westerfeld
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allesha.html
Latest Review: "Buenos Dias Lucy London" by Iza MacLeod
fav_author_id: 3521

Post by allesha »

Reading can definitely bring out strong emotions in me! I feel betrayed when one of the characters gets betrayed, sad when something sad happens, happy when something happy happens, etc. When I get strong emotions while reading, it often times makes the book one of my favorites!
Latest Review: "Buenos Dias Lucy London" by Iza MacLeod
cyndiha11
Currently Reading: The Banned Book about Love
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cyndiha11.html
Latest Review: "Empty Shell" by Ashley Fontainne

Post by cyndiha11 »

If the story is written well I can become immersed in it, and feel what the characters feel. When an author can affect such emotion in their readers, they're doing something right!
“I hope you live a life you’re proud of. If you find that you are not, I hope you have the strength to start all over again.” F. Scott Fitzgerald
Latest Review: "Empty Shell" by Ashley Fontainne
kemistree
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemistree.html

Post by kemistree »

Yes. I get so attached to characters. Reading for me is pretty cathartic. But then again, I feel just about every emotion strongly outside of reading. I feels its amplified when I read. Maybe I'm just a weenie. I literally cry at a good 95% books I read.
patrickt

Post by patrickt »

Sometimes. Most people say I'm cold and unemotional because my emotions don't exist for them to manipulate but odd things can make me cry. Sometimes, it's in a book. I probably cry as often reading as I laugh out loud. More often, I recognize the humor or the sadness but don't react.
Ty0005
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ty0005.html

Post by Ty0005 »

Usually the emotion I feel when reading is anger. I'll get mad because the character isn't doing what I think they should be doing. For example, anyone that's read The Magician by Lev Grossman(still awesome book) will understand why I could get angry.... Stupid Quentin...

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”