Do you think a series can ever be too long?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
AmandaK+
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amandak.html

Re: Do you think a series can ever be too long?

Post by AmandaK+ »

I love to read series!! But, sadly, sometimes the author tries to get too much from a successful series and lets it go wayyyyyyy too long! If I was held to picking a number of books to complete a series I would say 8. Also, authors, PLEASE number your series from the start and make sure it is easy for the reader to know it is part of a series. I'm a huge nerd and series books absolutely, positively must be read in order - start to finish. It messes with my world when I read a book and discover, to my horror, that it is #3 in a series of 7. Oh no, what do I do? Go back and start with #1? Continue on as if I have no idea of books #1 & #2? Read 2, then 1, then 4 - 7? Too much stress.
alliecat334
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by alliecat334 »

Good Afternoon AmandaK,
I agree with you that a book series can be too long. Sometimes a series needs to end after 3-4 books, not go to 11 or more. Every book in the series starts to blend in and the plots tend to be all the same. There are many romance series that follow this pattern with their books. Authors after establishing a few profitable books that are largely liked with readers will continue writing what they know will sell. I believe every writer starts writing because they love to write and have a story they wish to tell; they are not writing for a profit in the beginning. Eventually writing becomes a job and profits can alter author's opinion in regards to their writing.
I feel a perfect example of this type of series that has gone on too long is The Carpathian Novels by Christine Feehan. She is a phenomenal writer who had an amazing and original idea. Feehan become popular amongst the romance reader population and therefore the series has gone on well beyond 20 books. I loved the 1st 12 books out of her series each featuring a new Carpathian male and their story. After those 12 books, each book felt like I was reading the same book over and over again.
I am sure there are many others who feel that there are some books series that just go on too long. Don't get me wrong, I still feel Christine Feehan is a great writer; i just won't read anymore of the Carpathian novels.
lmoses
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lmoses.html
Latest Review: "Incandescent" by Shannon Avangeline

Post by lmoses »

As much as I enjoy being part of different worlds and adventure by reading, I do think there is such a thing as being too long. When the plot becomes redundant or there is no longer growth for characters, it is time to stop writing about them. I understand wanting to stay with favorite characters, but sometimes authors keep the books going too long and the magic is lost.
Latest Review: "Incandescent" by Shannon Avangeline
kitsune1997
Favorite Author: Derek Laundy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitsune1997.html
Latest Review: The Devil Pulls the Strings by J. W. Zarek

Post by kitsune1997 »

Certainly, when there isnt any character development, it has become too long, but this isnt true for every book.
I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library.
Jorge Luis Borges
Chabou87
Currently Reading: L'Assommoir
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chabou87.html
Reading Device: B00XKBY94O

Post by Chabou87 »

I love to read series when they are DONE because I really can't stand the wait. I remember reading the Bobby Pendragon series when I was younger. The books are quite big and they are I think 10 books plus spin-off. At then end I was lost between the different worlds and characters because of the wait between the books publishing.
I think that 3 to 6 is the best number for a serie.
Petra Antwick
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Petra Antwick »

Hi responsive readers,
The only way that a series can be too long is if it keeps repeating the same themes over and over again without adding a new significant message. Sending a message is the purpose of writing, and once a message is conveyed to the reader, either a new message needs to be conveyed or the series needs to end. One exception to this book may be a series that is more plot and action based than life messages based, like Stars Wars for instance. To be honest, I've never read the Stars Wars books but I have seen the movies, and I was interested in spite of the fact that I didn't see a variety of life messages.
-Petra Antwick
Rhoe_Marrow
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhoe-marrow.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by Rhoe_Marrow »

Yes, there is only so far some stories are willing to go. also, it could be a hint of an author unwilling to part with a certain story or character, or maybe they just don't want to part with their "Golden goose". That could stunt their creative growth as an author.
I mean if Castle had not killed Derrick Storm, he never would have found his Nicki Heat
Paliden
Currently Reading: White Cargo
Bookshelf Size: 1028
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paliden.html
Latest Review: "Justified Anger" by Jennifer Colne

Post by Paliden »

Yes! I have read several series where the story just seems to drag on and on!
Latest Review: "Justified Anger" by Jennifer Colne
arielile
Currently Reading: Top Secret Twenty-One
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arielile.html

Post by arielile »

If the characters and story line are well written I don't think it can be too long. I enjoy a long series and am a huge fan of the In Death series by JD Robb and the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich both which have over 20 books in them and are still going. You are really connecting with these particular characters as if they actually exist in your world.
Vermont Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4468">Scam Prevention</a>
Currently Reading: A Roadmap To Career Success
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermont-reviews.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Vermont Reviews »

If you love the stories the series is never too long.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Royalbooklover
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-royalbooklover.html

Post by Royalbooklover »

Yes I do. At some point the development of characters can start to lag or the author may feel the need to get a bit to crazy to keep interest.
ChanitaD81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chanitad81.html

Post by ChanitaD81 »

That's a really good question. When the series is really good, you always want more. We get wrapped up in the characters lives, and just have to know every little thing. The only down side is, sometimes the authors start running out of good material. The series become mediocre and just feels like the author is stretching. When the quality of the series is starting to gradually degrade, then I believe it has gone on too long. We never want to see the end of a good series, but sometimes it's best to end it rather than jeopardize the quality of the entire series.
Annelore Trujillo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 170
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annelore-trujillo.html
Latest Review: The Siberians by Simon J. Carey

Post by Annelore Trujillo »

Sometime, yes. Series of unfortunate events is way to long for its style of writing. However, Nancy Drew has over 20 books and I don't think it is too long. But the books don't actually have to be read in order, so that makes a difference.
missyjo2015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-missyjo2015.html

Post by missyjo2015 »

I feel that a series can continue for many books as long as the characters progress. For instance, picture a TV show. If the characters never age and the circumstances in their personal lives never progressed, would you continue to watch the show? On a funny note with it, imagine watching the same TV show for 14 years while the producers and writers tried not to age any of the characters or change their personal circumstances and yet as those years go by those characters will naturally age! Imagine the little one-year-old being replaced time and time again because he/she never goes past the age of one!

To me, books should be the same. If they aren't, I won't keep reading! I will naturally get bored and find a different book or series to read!
jlaltemo520
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jlaltemo520.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jlaltemo520 »

I'm currently reading a series that I think has gone on to long. It a vampire series called "A Shade of Vampire" but I can't just quit reading. I find that I'm very disciplined when it comes to reading, once I start I have to push through it.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”