Do you think a series can ever be too long?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Taylor Razzani
Favorite Author: Carlos Ruiz Zafón
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 59294">The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books)</a>
Currently Reading: The Bachman Books
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylor-razzani.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington
fav_author_id: 2684

Re: Do you think a series can ever be too long?

Post by Taylor Razzani »

I guess it depends on the author and the series. I think a series can definitely go on for too long if everything seems repetitive. However I am still a big fan of the Charlie Parker series by John Connolly. It is usually the same premise with a couple curves and new characters thrown in, but every time I finish one I start counting down the days until the next one. So far he's released 13 books and I haven't gotten sick of it yet!
Prisaneify
Currently Reading: Try Not To Breathe
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisaneify.html
Latest Review: "My Ladybird Story" by Magus Tor
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by Prisaneify »

Sadly, yes, I think a series can absolutely be too long. If the book starts off by restating the original storyline for the first 3-5 chapters (Looking at you Evanovich!!!!) then it needs to end. People are getting bored by that time and you lose those loyal readers that loved the character at first but now just read because they feel guilty not giving it up. Also, if the characters aren't progressing, at all. You need to keep the stories fresh and make sure there is more going on then the latest murder or robbery.
Latest Review: "My Ladybird Story" by Magus Tor
artemis822
Currently Reading: Master Class
Bookshelf Size: 186
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-artemis822.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by artemis822 »

For the most part, I haven't read a series yet that I think has gone on too long. I tend to have the problem that the series ends too soon, for one reason or another.
Foxley
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-foxley.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Foxley »

It probably depends on the series. I remember feeling intimidated by how many books are in the Disc World series and not wanting to pick it up, feeling like that would be a huge commitment.
Vinamarie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Vinamarie »

Yes I think a series can be two long. Personally I like series with about 2-5 books after that I get really bored.
Gannon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Colleen McCullough
Favorite Book: Pillars of the Earth
Currently Reading: Heaven's Net is Wide.
Bookshelf Size: 52
fav_author_id: 2863

Post by Gannon »

Taylor Razzani wrote:I guess it depends on the author and the series. I think a series can definitely go on for too long if everything seems repetitive. However I am still a big fan of the Charlie Parker series by John Connolly. It is usually the same premise with a couple curves and new characters thrown in, but every time I finish one I start counting down the days until the next one. So far he's released 13 books and I haven't gotten sick of it yet!
Hi there Taylor. I only just noticed this post. I too am a huge fan of the Charlie Parker novels and have never grown bored of the series. I think it's because I love the characters, and the way that Connolly keeps the supernatural element of the books always there, sometimes lurking in the background. He has just released the latest " A Time of Torment" and I can't wait to read it. :)
Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless. - Mother Teresa
Taylor Razzani
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 59294">The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books)</a>

Post by Taylor Razzani »

Hi there Taylor. I only just noticed this post. I too am a huge fan of the Charlie Parker novels and have never grown bored of the series. I think it's because I love the characters, and the way that Connolly keeps the supernatural element of the books always there, sometimes lurking in the background. He has just released the latest " A Time of Torment" and I can't wait to read it. :)
Always a pleasure to encounter a fellow fan :D I feel like that little bit of the supernatural element helps each book stay unique. I've come to realize I kind of don't like Charlie Parker, but if a character in the book doesn't like them I get all defensive of him, we have a complicated relationship :lol:
I went to preorder it and it says it comes out in August here...I try not to think about it.
Gannon

Post by Gannon »

Taylor Razzani wrote:
Always a pleasure to encounter a fellow fan :D I feel like that little bit of the supernatural element helps each book stay unique. I've come to realize I kind of don't like Charlie Parker, but if a character in the book doesn't like them I get all defensive of him, we have a complicated relationship :lol:
I went to preorder it and it says it comes out in August here...I try not to think about it.
It is out here now and I am going to pick it up today. I think I will jump into it as soon as I finish "Dictator", which is my current read. The blurb makes it sound very interesting, lets hope it's good. :)
Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless. - Mother Teresa
Taylor Razzani

Post by Taylor Razzani »

Gannon wrote:
Taylor Razzani wrote:
It is out here now and I am going to pick it up today. I think I will jump into it as soon as I finish "Dictator", which is my current read. The blurb makes it sound very interesting, lets hope it's good. :)
It has to live up to our praise now :lol: I just ordered it off UK's Amazon, and it's cheaper than if I would wait to get it here. This seems too good to be true haha. Can't wait to read it, it sounds as good as the previous 13 books!
Gannon

Post by Gannon »

Taylor Razzani wrote:
Gannon wrote:
Taylor Razzani wrote:
It has to live up to our praise now :lol: I just ordered it off UK's Amazon, and it's cheaper than if I would wait to get it here. This seems too good to be true haha. Can't wait to read it, it sounds as good as the previous 13 books!
Just got back from BigW and I have it in my hot little hands right now. :)
Firedrake
Currently Reading: Flamecaster
Bookshelf Size: 696
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-firedrake.html
Latest Review: "Roan" by E. R. Barr

Post by Firedrake »

I enjoy a good series, but sometimes they can indeed go too long. I read my way through the Tarzan series as a kid, but noticed that partway through, it became "Tarzan finds the lost city of the week in the African jungle" and most of the characters I'd come to like vanished. That was probably my first experience with the shark and that jumping thing.
Latest Review: "Roan" by E. R. Barr
Kimberly33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimberly33.html

Post by Kimberly33 »

I completely agree about the Stephanie Plum series. I still loyally bought and read each one but the series really did become stagnant for me.
Jolyon Trevelyan
Favorite Author: Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Bookshelf Size: 10
fav_author_id: 2563

Post by Jolyon Trevelyan »

Yes i do
A mistake is simply another way of doing things
JCate09

Post by JCate09 »

I agree with a lot of the previous posts. I love book series, especially when the books create not only fascinating characters but whole new worlds for me to delve into. But the presentation limits it. When the books main plot because repeatative with only detail changes, I can't continue to read it. This also goes for generes as well. I've noticed this with Lesbian romances as well as others. The plots are the same the but the details change. Les romance tend to do the following:
Main two Characters: one masculine, one feminine
Masculine: Has had a trouble past, dosnt think they deserve love
Feminie: Has been hurt in the past, is afraid of love
They meet, fall in love, get togther, are happy for a chapter. Some kind of trouble happens so they split up. Work through said trouble and live happily ever after.
Funny thing is I still read them regardless of their predictability.
Kia
Currently Reading: Damaged Goods
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kia.html
Latest Review: Wheel of Katarnum by James Calliotte
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kia »

JCate09 wrote:I agree with a lot of the previous posts. I love book series, especially when the books create not only fascinating characters but whole new worlds for me to delve into. But the presentation limits it. When the books main plot because repeatative with only detail changes, I can't continue to read it. This also goes for generes as well. I've noticed this with Lesbian romances as well as others. The plots are the same the but the details change. Les romance tend to do the following:
Main two Characters: one masculine, one feminine
Masculine: Has had a trouble past, dosnt think they deserve love
Feminie: Has been hurt in the past, is afraid of love
They meet, fall in love, get togther, are happy for a chapter. Some kind of trouble happens so they split up. Work through said trouble and live happily ever after.
Funny thing is I still read them regardless of their predictability.
I find the same issues with romances in general. I tend to still read them in between other novels though because they tend to not require a lot of brain power to get through. So I can happily speed through it to give myself a rest from the other, more intense novels I read.
"Yes, the past can hurt. But the way I see it you can either run from it, or learn from it."- Rafiki

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”