Do you think a series can ever be too long?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Kate7
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Do you think a series can ever be too long?

Post by Kate7 »

Series yes but spin offs no. I love the family spin off books that tell a whole families story by the time they are done.
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

I think that the mystery genre is set up to be great with a long series if you have a good detective(s)! :D
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
Prncsskrstnj
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Prncsskrstnj »

I absolutely agree that a book series can go on too long, especially if you are basing it on just a couple of characters. I love the family spin-off books as well!
himeeg74
Currently Reading: Spark
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-himeeg74.html

Post by himeeg74 »

Yes. Terry Goodkind, as much as I love him and his books, took his Sword of Truth series way too far. Some of the books are absolutely brilliant, while some are bland repetitions of their predecessors. Overall, it is a great series, but an author needs to know when to say when!
brittany_anne
Currently Reading: Mrs. Grant and Madame Jule
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brittany-anne.html

Post by brittany_anne »

Oh yes a series can run to long. That tends to be when I don't finish a series cause I get bored with it. I could never finish the House of Night series by PC Cast.
Gannon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Colleen McCullough
Favorite Book: Pillars of the Earth
Currently Reading: Heaven's Net is Wide.
Bookshelf Size: 52
fav_author_id: 2863

Post by Gannon »

I definitely think that a series can be too long. Ultimately I believe it comes down to the skill of the author to keep the series "fresh". This can be done in a number of ways. Introducing new interesting characters, plots, etc. However I think the best way to maintain a series longevity is to have a small core of returning characters that the reader has a strong emotional attachment to. Whether they be protagonist or antagonist, if the reader "loves" the character they will inevitably want to know what is happening to that character in future books.
Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless. - Mother Teresa
nadjahughes

Post by nadjahughes »

Yes, I totally agree. I have found usually around number 6 - 8 is about right but there have been exceptions. In particular Laurann Dohner New Species series is absolutely brilliant, I can't get enough of those and every book has an interesting story and weaves together with the others but can be stand alone.

-- 22 Feb 2016, 20:01 --

Yes, I totally agree. I have found usually around number 6 - 8 is about right but there have been exceptions. In particular Laurann Dohner New Species series is absolutely brilliant, I can't get enough of those and every book has an interesting story and weaves together with the others but can be stand alone.
alyssaap

Post by alyssaap »

YES! I think that when a series is too long the author starts adding in useless information and it can become a bore to continue reading.
NichelaMona
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nichelamona.html

Post by NichelaMona »

Yes! I'm currently reading a series that I enjoy but it has 16 books. That's excessive if you ask me. Then I feel obligated to keep buying the book to see what happens even if its no longer interesting.
Kjb_0517
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kjb-0517.html

Post by Kjb_0517 »

Most definitely! I loved the House of Night series, but after a while, it just got boring to me.
tortoise keeper
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tortoise-keeper.html
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel
Reading Device: B0192AFG7A

Post by tortoise keeper »

I agree that some series do go on too long. It does seem that the plots get very repetitive and you can figure out from the first few pages where the story is going. Sometimes I will read the books anyway because the familiarity is comforting. If it gets too boring I always have the choice of starting something else....even another series.
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel
Kia
Currently Reading: Damaged Goods
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kia.html
Latest Review: Wheel of Katarnum by James Calliotte
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kia »

I think that it can get too long. But it depends on how it's written. The example that comes to mind is the wheel of time series. While I never got bored with it, I found many cases where I would be reading and suddenly I was expected to remember some tiny detail that happened 8000 pages ago. It was also difficult just in general to remember what happened in the first few books by the time I got to the end of the series.
"Yes, the past can hurt. But the way I see it you can either run from it, or learn from it."- Rafiki
Judyk
Currently Reading: Orphan Train
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judyk.html

Post by Judyk »

I like reading series sometimes but, they definitely have a turning point where there is not enough "new" to keep my attention. Alternately I hate waiting for the next in a series to come out when it's clearly implied all the main characters are intended to have their own story. :D

-- 20 Mar 2016, 13:27 --
Last edited by Judyk on 20 Mar 2016, 13:54, edited 1 time in total.
Freida Livery
Bookshelf Size: 2897
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Freida Livery »

Yes, a series can go on too long. A few that come to mind
The Anita Blake books
Kenyon's Dark-Hunter series. She has strayed so far from the premise of the original books, introducing so many different pantheon of gods, it has just gotten totally confusing
Feehan's Carpathian books - same problem as Kenyon's
and I will probably get blasted for saying this: Diana Gabaldon should have ended the Outlander series at around 4 books. I have all the rest but haven't had the slightest interest in finishing them. I just got bored with it.
"Fate is like a strange, unpopular restaurant filled with odd little waiters who bring you things you never asked for and don't always like."
— Lemony Snicket
estirl189

Post by estirl189 »

I personally have never read any series of books that have gone beyond around 10 in all, but I can imagine it is possible. With some series, when it gets to even the 5th or 6th book I have found they have become dragged out and dry.

As the famous saying goes - you can only have so much of a good thing, and sometimes, I feel the attempt to continue with a series for too long means it can lose the magic of previous books.

That being said, there is a certain pleasure in reading a book you love, knowing you will pick up the next one and continue the story. If the author gets it right, there is no reason they couldn't be too long... I will yet have to find this out though!

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”