Do you think a series can ever be too long?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
HaleM13
Currently Reading: The Thousand Names
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-halem13.html

Re: Do you think a series can ever be too long?

Post by HaleM13 »

As much as I enjoy series, there is such a thing as too much information. The story gets overworked and you lose the magic of it. Honestly, that's why I don't entirely enjoy Pottermore. There's a certain point in a series where everything reaches a natural conclusion; it's now the perfect combination of unanswered questions and tied ends. When an author puts out books after that point, it starts to feel like overkill or repetition.
adria_charles
Currently Reading: The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up
Bookshelf Size: 268
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adria-charles.html
Latest Review: "Turka Bella" by Jonathan Feldman

Post by adria_charles »

Honestly, there was a time when I would say that I don't think a series could ever be too long, especially if I really could relate and loved the characters. Then I started reading the Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris and that is when I realized that a series could be way too long for me. I believe it's based on everyone's perspective though because I am sure there are readers out there who were completely immersed in every single one of Harris' books in that series, but I just couldn't do it. I stopped halfway through because it became to drawn out and too much for me.
Latest Review: "Turka Bella" by Jonathan Feldman
ebeth
Currently Reading: The Color of Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebeth.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Reading Device: B0097BEFA4

Post by ebeth »

I really like reading series. It's nice when they last a long time because sometimes I have a hard time chosing a new book to read. With a really good series it makes it easier to just read the next one.
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Scerakor
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Post by Scerakor »

I think my answer here needs to be a mix of the responses above. Yes and No. A series can be too long once it has exhausted its content / purpose. There comes a time when a popular series tends to simply ride on the coattails of its previous successes and contributes very little to the series themselves. However, if the series carries on strong, there should be no need to kill it off. I would argue that it is impossible to put a number value on this.
Pm7lucas
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pm7lucas.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
Reading Device: 1400699169

Post by Pm7lucas »

I absolutely agree with you about the Stephanie Plum series. I do think a series can overstay it's welcome and when that happens, it's time to either take a break or start a new series...maybe both!

Paula :D
"I think therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
jemgirl202
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 870
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jemgirl202.html
Latest Review: My Angel My Hero by Brenda E. Mcdaniel

Post by jemgirl202 »

Honestly if the author is being redundant and the story is still fresh and exciting then I am fine with it. I know Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series lasts about 14 novels plus a prequel. There is also the Aubrey-Maturin series that is about 21 books! I had a friend who read them all and said he loved every minute of it!
MsDree
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 268
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msdree.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by MsDree »

Depending on the book and whether its characters are well-developed and flowed nicely. But for me, if each book in a series can be read as standalone and portrayed for a large event, i think it'd be enjoyable. There's this fantasy book series I read where the books are of standalone and with different but related characters and events are happening throughout the series, it's really enjoyable. I have read that series (book 1—book 4) many times while waiting for the series to finished as it's still ongoing. Hm, I wonder if it's made movie series I think it'll be a big hit.

Then there's this book series (a fantasy too) that I was tired of reading by the 3rd book. Its well-developed yes but I think also its overdone. There are too many events happening in one book and I was thinking when its going to end?! I think by now its probably exceeds book 6 and ongoing. ?
"A book, too, can be a star, a living fire to lighten the darkness, leading out into the expanding universe." — Madeline L'Engle
Sophie11
Currently Reading: My Trip To Adele
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophie11.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by Sophie11 »

Absolutely, i know for sure VD went on too long. :hand:
Mailis
Currently Reading: The Employee Millionaire
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mailis.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Mailis »

If the quality keeps and author writes fresh stories and keeps me guessing then I wouldn't mind if any series I liked would continue forever. But when it becomes tedious and repetitive and author just doesn't have anything new to add, then I think it's time to say goodbye.
Cate winslet
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Cate winslet »

Series that are too long loses its plot, sometimes you try to understand something yet you can not. I think they are too long
SparklesonPages
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 211
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sparklesonpages.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by SparklesonPages »

Yes and no. Most series need to die a merciful death before becoming repetitive or boring. There are few however that I wish would run longer such as the Harry Potter series or the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich.
alexislynn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20

Post by alexislynn »

Yes! I have encountered and have heard from friends of series that become contrived. They natural flow of the plot is lost and it seems like the author is just trying to cash in on the popularity of the series. That, or there are way too many subplots going on that do not add to the main story line, but rather detract from it. When this happens, I normally give up on the series.
DancingLady
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dancinglady.html
Latest Review: Believe What You Want To Believe by Alicia Kristine and George Williams

Post by DancingLady »

Absolutely. I've encountered more than one that did so. There is a series of Christian historical fiction that I was reading in HS which was incredibly long. It started with the Pilgrims and basically had a book for every season of American history. I gave up after about 5 of them because they were all pretty much the same, except for different names and places. I don't like stock plots, and that's pretty much what was happening.

The other one I found to be like this was actually the Shannara books. I kind of feel bad saying that because I know so many people really love those books. I started with the first three, which were good, but as I read more and more of the collections, I just got so tired of all the violence, which seemed to get more frequent and more bloody and gross with every new book I read until I was just disgusted and disinterested and stopped reading. I think I gave them all away with one or two still unread because I had so lost interest.
JodyVamp
Currently Reading: Undone
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jodyvamp.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by JodyVamp »

I'm a fan of the Stephanie Plum series and I know what you mean. The format is predictable and not quite as enjoyable; I no longer rush out for hardbacks and now wait for the paperback to go on sale. However, I still enjoy seeing just how she's going to get into predicaments and how her car is going to get destroyed this time. The series only really goes on too long when it starts getting bad and the ideas get too obviously recycled with nothing new introduced. I mean, Sigma Forcd just had its 13th novel come out in Dec. You know the good guys are going to win, the world will be saved, but how it's saved, how it might end, and which good guy might die in the effort is still an unknown. So long as that stays the case, i will still love James Rollins for writing new ones.
GabbiV
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces you have to read before you die, vol 2
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabbiv.html
Latest Review: Of Illusions and Ink Spills by Divya Hirani
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by GabbiV »

Yes most definitely. The YA series Tunnels showed me this when I was a grade schooler. The series started out simple enough, but to fill the subsequent books with enough substantial material it grew to include hollow earth theory and a bioweapon conspiracy. So yes, there is definitely a line that get's crossed from enjoyable to hard to swallow.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”