Do you think a series can ever be too long?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
TheBookMaven
Favorite Author: Jean M. Auel
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thebookmaven.html
Latest Review: "The Colors of Friendship" by K. R. Raye
fav_author_id: 3709

Do you think a series can ever be too long?

Post by TheBookMaven »

I always love it when a good book continues into more books of a series, but I wonder if sometimes, a series goes on too long? For example, I have read all of the Stephanie Plum books by Janet Evanovich, but I have discovered that by the time you get to about book 14 or so, that they seem to be a different problem to solve, but none of the characters situations or anything else changes. I makes the story less enjoyable because the stories become very predictable. I think that once you get to that point, either the series needs to end, or maybe the author just needs to take a break from that particular series or something. Have any of you experienced this with other series?
Never judge a book by its movie
Latest Review: "The Colors of Friendship" by K. R. Raye
TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

Yes! Series that go on too long tend to have problems with the plot for that story and it just gets predictable.
Aussie-reader
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Aussie-reader »

I must say I much prefer books that stand alone rather those which are part of a series.
jreed1694

Post by jreed1694 »

I think series are great, but all good things must come to an end. A series that goes on too long gets boring and the later books tend to ruin the early ones.
ITnker
Favorite Author: No favorites.
Favorite Book: See favorite author.
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-itnker.html
Latest Review: "Shadows of Damascus" by Lilas Taha

Post by ITnker »

I was reading series, such as James Patterson's Alex Cross. In doing I found series were overwhelming, waiting on the next book to come out and hopefully remembering the previous points of the story. But, just like others have said, when a series goes beyond its usefulness, where does it end?

Currently reading the Game of Thrones, well into the third book, I find I am reading other books at the same time so not to let the series become dull.
Latest Review: "Shadows of Damascus" by Lilas Taha
Anxious Educator
Favorite Author: James Herriot
Favorite Book: The Little Prince
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anxious-educator.html
Latest Review: "Tea and Primroses" by Tess Thompson
fav_author_id: 10107

Post by Anxious Educator »

Maybe I just haven't read a whole lot of series, because I can only think of one instance where a series really, truly went on too long for me: The Chaos Walking series by Patrick Ness.

It wasn't that there were too many books (it's a trilogy), but the final book just dragged on for me. It got to the point where I just wanted everyone to either kiss and make up or destroy each other. Terrible, I know.

I totally agree with jreed1694 that when books in a series start to go downhill, it ruins the often-excellent early books. One of the best parts about reviewing books is to be able to revisit those earlier books and remember how much you loved them before the series started to get you down.
Latest Review: "Tea and Primroses" by Tess Thompson
Winter
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-winter.html
Latest Review: "The 30-Day Writing Challenge" by Sara Crawford

Post by Winter »

I like it when there are several books in a series, but when there are a lot of books (say more than about 7 or 8) I'm less likely to start reading it in the first place. I guess if I love the series and it stays interesting, having more books is better, but it would have to be really good.
Latest Review: "The 30-Day Writing Challenge" by Sara Crawford
Ashley07
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley07.html
Latest Review: "The Lost Tribe" by Peter Ivey

Post by Ashley07 »

yes! When they get past 10 and go as far as 20s (the breed series?) its hard to jump in and start them. I prefer when they break them up into groups of 5.
Latest Review: "The Lost Tribe" by Peter Ivey
saouad
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saouad.html
Latest Review: "Holly(Woods)" by Naomi Laeuchli

Post by saouad »

I've never encountered the issue in the past, however I imagine it is possible.

I've read The Sword of Truth, which includes over a dozen books of approximately 1,000 pages each. Even though I read them over the span of a year, I did not find the series too long -in fact I was heartbroken to read the last book of the series!

However I am struggling to finish A Dance with Dragons, from the Game of Thrones series. I think a series is only too long if it is not well-developed.
Latest Review: "Holly(Woods)" by Naomi Laeuchli
FNAWrite

Post by FNAWrite »

I've cited elsewhere such long term series as McBain's 87th Precinct (c. 50 yrs), Agatha Christie's Hercule Poirot (50+), and Robert B. Parker's Spenser character (35+).

I cite to them because they are series I like. I like the characters. I like the plots. I'm glad there are so many of them.

It's like seeing an old friend.

P.S. Almost forgot to mention my pals Nero Wolfe and Archie Goodwin (c. 40 yrs).
S dot Lennon
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: My current book theme is banned books
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-s-dot-lennon.html
Latest Review: "Whispered Secrets Whispered Prayers" by Donna Mack
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by S dot Lennon »

Yes! Yes! And yes! There can be too much a of a good thing. I like knowing how many books are going to be in a series as well because it means the authors has a stopping point. Eventually I want the story to end!
All I need is a new book and a place to read it...
Latest Review: "Whispered Secrets Whispered Prayers" by Donna Mack
SDaws
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sdaws.html

Post by SDaws »

I think while I would really like a series to keep going if it was an author I liked, Its always good to stop before it gets stale.
britt1125
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britt1125.html
Latest Review: "I am Ella. Buy me." by Joan Ellis

Post by britt1125 »

I think it would depend on the books and the author. I know that with movies they get old and warn out by the time they actual finish watching them, so I assume that it could be the same with books. I have never read any series that made me feel that way myself but I am positive that its possible.
Latest Review: "I am Ella. Buy me." by Joan Ellis
fantasybookworm
Favorite Author: Cassie Edwards
Favorite Book: Catching Fire
Currently Reading: The lost Heros
fav_author_id: 16064

Post by fantasybookworm »

Yes, I do think that a series can be too long. I think that if there is no new information going on in the new books, but just some kind of repeating from previous books than it gets boring. I think that going beyond 4 books can get tricky. That being said, there have been series that are beyond 4 books and are very good. So I think the author has to have strong content.
nickyhenkeman

Post by nickyhenkeman »

Definately not! Especially not when the characters are well-written.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”