Are libraries still relevant?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
gracepine11
Favorite Author: Kate DiCamillo
Favorite Book: Flora and Ulysess
Currently Reading: Carry On, Mr. Bowditch
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gracepine11.html
fav_author_id: 3660

Re: Are libraries still relevant?

Post by gracepine11 »

I love going to the library!!!!!
Early to bed and early to rise makes a man stupid and blind in the eyes." Mazer Rackham from the book Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card.
Dreamer In Storyland
Favorite Author: J. Lynn
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dreamer-in-storyland.html
fav_author_id: 11851

Post by Dreamer In Storyland »

While I mostly read on my laptop, I still think that libraries are relevant. It is my favorite place to go. I love the smell, the silence, the calm. It doesn't matter whether I'm reading there, looking for a book or just walking down the shelves for no apparent reason, that place always brings me a sense of peace.
Sarah Clay
Favorite Author: Charles Dickens
Currently Reading: Lost in the Wilderness
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-clay.html
Latest Review: "The Lob Mob" by Tell Tale
fav_author_id: 2384

Post by Sarah Clay »

I try to save money, so as much as I love owning physical copies of books, I try to check out books from the library as much as I can. :)
Latest Review: "The Lob Mob" by Tell Tale
Mariar3
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariar3.html

Post by Mariar3 »

I definitely use libraries for more of an academic use. They are amazing resources for literary and academic journals and are really useful to find textbooks as well. I have borrowed some books for fun but I really enjoy owning them myself so I'm not a huge fan of borrowing books.
doglvr
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by doglvr »

Definitely. We now have service where we can download books, music & even movies. It's great because I can now sit in my living room doing jigsaw puzzles & listening to books and, best of all, if I don't like the book I can return it & get another one without leaving the room. Also, I'm forever ordering new books & even now I have 2 newly published ones to be picked up.

Are you surprised that I volunteer at our public library? The foot traffic I see while I'm there will answer your question.
maroki13
Favorite Author: Diana Gabaldon
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maroki13.html
Latest Review: "Whispers from the East" by Amie Ali
fav_author_id: 2373

Post by maroki13 »

I absolutely think libraries are still relevant. Our local libraries offer reading programs for kids, story hours, seminars and guest speakers, and so much more, beyond just borrowing physical books.
Latest Review: "Whispers from the East" by Amie Ali
ShanghaiBreezes
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shanghaibreezes.html

Post by ShanghaiBreezes »

libraries should never go out of fashion. Even with technology taking over every physical space so fast, i think the existence of libraries keeps things spicy. i love going over to my library. i love being surrounded by books physically. the material existence of them has something gentle about it.
angdap213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angdap213.html

Post by angdap213 »

I think libraries are still relevant in that they draw people closer together. For example, a lot of children's activities (story time, reading groups) take place at a library.
missbookworm

Post by missbookworm »

Oh, yes. I still go the the library, and I'd actually be sad if it closed down. So many books to read that I haven't read yet. I love libraries, and believe they are very relevant.
zjones99
Favorite Author: John Green
Currently Reading: Binge
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zjones99.html
fav_author_id: 2072

Post by zjones99 »

I think libraries are still relevant to an extent. I never go to the library to check out an entertainment book, usually because I buy all of my books. I do go to the library though to check out any research materials I need for school. I am not gonna buy a science book for a project one time.
literarycat
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Currently Reading: Survivors: Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 2331
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-literarycat.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by literarycat »

I think they are still relevent, but some are changing their services, or rather adding to their services. My local library offer's ebooks to borrow as well as the physical books. You can also use free wifi there, or use one of the computers they haveat the location. There are a lot of reading and literacy events they do across the city to help promote reading and literacy. Part of me wants to start getting away from electronics and back to the hard physical copies of books. Library helps me with that.
The world breaks everyone, and afterwards, some are strong at the broken points ~ Ernest Hemingway.
cgoss74
Favorite Author: Danielle Steel
Currently Reading: Follow You Home
Bookshelf Size: 236
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cgoss74.html
Latest Review: "A Better Part of Heaven" by Mike Lee
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK
fav_author_id: 3250

Post by cgoss74 »

Unfortunately, I believe our libraries have been become underappreciated and underutilized by the public. The library is still a wonderful place to take your child to teach them about books. I took my children when they were little but I know on the military bases it is one of the first programs they are cutting. It is a sad reality for our military communities. I do not want to see our libraries go away but I see it happening so please make sure you are using the library in your community.
Latest Review: "A Better Part of Heaven" by Mike Lee
Meg0169
Favorite Author: J.R.R. Tolkien
Favorite Book: The Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg0169.html
Latest Review: "Night of the Chupacabra" by Michael Hebler

Post by Meg0169 »

I work at a library and I do think they are relevant. Besides another alternative to buying a book, a lot of people come in to use the computers to look for work or do homework. Libraries also offer a lot of programs for children and adults, such as ESL classes and children's workshops. Borrowing is such a good way to find new stories and to learn. A lot of libraries have programs such as Overdrive so you can borrow books online without ever having to come in, but libraries are definitely still relevant. There is never a day where I do not have people coming in and needing help with something, whether it is finding a book to read for pleasure or a book to help them learn another language.
Latest Review: "Night of the Chupacabra" by Michael Hebler
Rebelpoet
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebelpoet.html

Post by Rebelpoet »

Sadly where I live more and more libraries are shutting down and the ones that are still open are going very digital and computers are outnumbering book shelves. I think that's a shame because I spent a lot of my childhood in a library and there was nowhere else I was happier or felt safer.
Ant
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 1

Post by Ant »

About 90% of my reading material comes from the library so to me they are not only relevant but vital.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”