Are libraries still relevant?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
gladeslibrarian
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gladeslibrarian.html

Are libraries still relevant?

Post by gladeslibrarian »

The literary world is changing so rapidly!

I'm curious. Do you think the library is still relevant?
Do you go to a physical library?
What things/events/programs (if any) draw you there?
If you don't think they are relevant do you think something should be done to make them relevant?
or should they just fall by the wayside?

So many questions ...
ALRyder
Currently Reading: The Last Stormlord by Glenda Larke
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alryder.html
Latest Review: "Diet Enlightenment" by Rachel L. Pires

Post by ALRyder »

I go to my library ALL the time. I think they're great because along with books there's so much more. It's a free place to take my young one to story time and other programs(our library has a puppet show once a month, and has had midieval fairs, along with other random fun days). It also has a kids's room with books, DVD's, and coloring stuff; so it's a comfortable place to just hang out on a cold day if your kids are going stir crazy at the house. My husband loves the wide selection of movies and shows as well, because we don't have cable at home. I also go there on weekends to have quiet time, and get some writing done away from the house. My point is, even if you're not a major reader like most of us here there's a reason the library exists.
Latest Review: "Diet Enlightenment" by Rachel L. Pires
Rooster12

Post by Rooster12 »

Most of the libraries I am familiar with offer other programs I'm addition to book check out. I think libraries are valuable tools that need to be incorporated into lives regardless of the digital reader age.
teddied33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teddied33.html

Post by teddied33 »

Libraries are still very relevant. Public libraries offer great opportunities to be involved in community activities and provide access to a wide variety of sources. Tax prep, computers, career/job advice and of course research are their bread and butter. I feel that University libraries are the ones that are being effected the most by changing technologies. Peer reviewed journals are rarely read in print anymore and electronic mediums are becoming king.
Ant
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 1

Post by Ant »

95% of my reading material comes out of the library and has done for about 40 years now, so yes I think they are relevant. There are no special events/ programs needed to draw me there, just good old books.
Artiste8
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Artiste8 »

Libraries are still very important and not going anywhere. I find the libraries are so busy with many people. You see teenagers working on their homework together. People using the computers for homework or looking for work. Many people go there for a quiet place to read or write. I wonderful place for the community.
sissybear
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sissybear.html

Post by sissybear »

I think libraries still relevant because of people like me who like to read paper books and not eBooks or what ever it is that people read on computer, I think there just to much technology in the world.
Aussie-reader

Post by Aussie-reader »

I said in the other thread about libraries and post offices - the library in my town is thriving - offers many services other than just book borrowing such as DVD, magazine borrowing, jigsaws, free internet use, photocopying, faxing services, guest speakers on community topics (not neccesarily to do with reading, varied things from Coping with Menopause to Using Legal Services) childrens story time, school holiday craft activities etc.

having said that, I don't often physically visit the library myself - I dont have any young children to borrow picture books or use children's activities, I am at work during the day when guest speakers speak, I have my own internet and I dont need photocopying or faxing done there.
I occasionally borrow a hard copy book from the library - I do use the library ebook service too. But I don't have to physically go to the library to do that.
Reader B
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader-b.html
Latest Review: "Stronghold, by Backwoods" by Backwoods

Post by Reader B »

I go to my small town library often to check out books. They also have magazines, newspapers, computers to use, and many of the other things that have been mentioned. And it is always busy. That's enough for me, but I think libraries will be changing in the future, rather than going away.

I've heard of signing up people who know about a topic as a resource that you can "check out". It's a way of getting someone who knows about something together with someone who wants to learn about that topic. An example could be someone who knows how to knit who is willing to help someone learn. They tell the library staff that they would be willing to help and are put on a list. When someone comes in and wants to learn about knitting, they tell the library staff and a time for the two of them to get together is set up. The idea is that libraries are about knowledge as well as books. And the topic could be anything - economics, politics, health, etc. I thought that was a very innovative idea.

I've also heard of a library that opened recently that doesn't have any printed books at all. They are digital only. I can't quite picture that, but I think libraries are going to change rather than disappear. As long as I can still read books - digital or paper - I'll be happy.
Latest Review: "Stronghold, by Backwoods" by Backwoods
TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

I wholeheartedly believe libraries are still relevant. I don't go to the physical library much anymore but when my daughters are a little bit older I am going to start taking them to one of the reading time programs and participate in other activities and maybe reunite with a loaned physical book. :)
C_reagan
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-c-reagan.html

Post by C_reagan »

I love libraries, the smell and sight of books is so relaxing to me, i enjoy seeing what new books are out or old ones that ive never heard of, i like just browsing the shelves, i am going to teach my daughter to love the library as much as i do, i think more parents should introduce their children to libraries for homework research instead of just the internet and schools should promote more physical research over just usimg the internet
jhollan2
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Favorite Book: Too many to list...
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhollan2.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by jhollan2 »

Aussie-reader wrote:I said in the other thread about libraries and post offices - the library in my town is thriving - offers many services other than just book borrowing such as DVD, magazine borrowing, jigsaws, free internet use, photocopying, faxing services, guest speakers on community topics (not neccesarily to do with reading, varied things from Coping with Menopause to Using Legal Services) childrens story time, school holiday craft activities etc.
Exactly. I think that Libraries offer so much more than just book, even if that is what personally draws me to them. People come to libraries for the community that they provide, and the free services that they can find there. I work in a library and I am constantly busy with a stream of patrons the whole time I am there, from people checking out books, CDs, and movies, to people needing computers for the internet, printing, copying, and faxing. We even have some e-readers that can be checked out preloaded with certain books, so that patrons who cannot afford ones themselves can still read ebooks.

-- 29 Jan 2014, 20:13 --
Aussie-reader wrote:I said in the other thread about libraries and post offices - the library in my town is thriving - offers many services other than just book borrowing such as DVD, magazine borrowing, jigsaws, free internet use, photocopying, faxing services, guest speakers on community topics (not neccesarily to do with reading, varied things from Coping with Menopause to Using Legal Services) childrens story time, school holiday craft activities etc.
Exactly. I think that Libraries offer so much more than just book, even if that is what personally draws me to them. People come to libraries for the community that they provide, and the free services that they can find there. I work in a library and I am constantly busy with a stream of patrons the whole time I am there, from people checking out books, CDs, and movies, to people needing computers for the internet, printing, copying, and faxing. We even have some e-readers that can be checked out preloaded with certain books, so that patrons who cannot afford ones themselves can still read ebooks. Books are still highly relevant, but there are other things that a library provides that will always keep them full of community members.
jaguilar
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaguilar.html

Post by jaguilar »

of course they are, libraries are vital. Not everyone can afford to buy all the books they'd like to have/read. Additionally libraries offer venues to get children active in reading and learning.
TheBookMaven
Favorite Author: Jean M. Auel
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thebookmaven.html
Latest Review: "The Colors of Friendship" by K. R. Raye
fav_author_id: 3709

Post by TheBookMaven »

I think they are still relevant. The ones in my area even offer ebooks, so it's still a free source for books regardless of your preferred format. I go to mine for the kids programs too. They do story time, mommy and me, etc. I think offering programs for kids and teens, as well as adults is a way to help libraries stay relevant. Free reading material is always good, even if you have to give it back.
Never judge a book by its movie
Latest Review: "The Colors of Friendship" by K. R. Raye
Jacob

Post by Jacob »

Of course they are. Technology has made it's impact, that's a given. But still, there isn't EVERYTHING on the internet. Libraries still give you the access to to search for old archives of newspapers, trade publications, etc. And it's better for schools to have libraries since they do improve students test scores. Plus the internet isn't free.

And it's not like technology hasn't already paved it's way for libraries, you can build so much from the fusion of libraries and technology, libraries aren't necessarily losing their popularity as well.
"Humanity is a parade of fools, and I am at the front of it, twirling a baton." - Dean Koontz

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”