Do you have a free little library in your area?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
obiebookworm
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: Picture of Dorian Gray
Currently Reading: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obiebookworm.html
Latest Review: "The Little Ladybug" by Amelia May
fav_author_id: 1778

Do you have a free little library in your area?

Post by obiebookworm »

I have not seen one in my area; however, my dentist has a free library bookcase. People drop off books while others swap. It's pretty cool!
Obiebookworm
Ella
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ella »

I wish! Many times I've thought about starting one at work, but there really is no place to put it :(
FNAWrite

Post by FNAWrite »

Do you mean like the Oberlin Public Library on Main Street in Oberlin, OH - where you live?

I'm lucky, I have two public libraries within 3 miles of my home.
obiebookworm

Post by obiebookworm »

Ella wrote:I wish! Many times I've thought about starting one at work, but there really is no place to put it :(
Sounds like a great idea! Maybe you'll come up with something yet - maybe a stowaway rack. :)

-- 27 Jan 2014, 11:38 --
FNAWrite wrote:Do you mean like the Oberlin Public Library on Main Street in Oberlin, OH - where you live?

I'm lucky, I have two public libraries within 3 miles of my home.
No, I'm talking about someone in the neighborhood setting up an oversized mailbox/enclosed shelving unit that is near the street for people to stop by and pick up free books or swap:
http://littlefreelibrary.org/
Obiebookworm
FNAWrite

Post by FNAWrite »

"someone in the neighborhood setting up an oversized mailbox/enclosed shelving unit that is near the street for people to stop by and pick up free books or swap"

Never heard of such a thing. I took a quick look at the site - there are two about 25 miles away from me., the rest are an hour or more from me.

I have however seen things akin to TV stands with books and a "FREE" sign on them; not all that often, I'm sure less than a dozen times in my life.

Maybe since, as I noted, I live in a library rich neighborhood, no one ever saw any need.

I don't know. To me a table of free books is cool. This seems to me to be very much like a children's feel good project (not saying it is, but it is how it presents as to me).
obiebookworm

Post by obiebookworm »

FNAWrite wrote:"someone in the neighborhood setting up an oversized mailbox/enclosed shelving unit that is near the street for people to stop by and pick up free books or swap"

Never heard of such a thing. I took a quick look at the site - there are two about 25 miles away from me., the rest are an hour or more from me.

I have however seen things akin to TV stands with books and a "FREE" sign on them; not all that often, I'm sure less than a dozen times in my life.

Maybe since, as I noted, I live in a library rich neighborhood, no one ever saw any need.

I don't know. To me a table of free books is cool. This seems to me to be very much like a children's feel good project (not saying it is, but it is how it presents as to me).
Certainly, I can see how this could be a "children's feel good project." However, it appears that in some places it's more than that since there are areas lacking libraries, so the little library becomes a "win-win" for all ages. I looked at the map, too. Looks like I have a small handful in the surrounding areas, which is quite interesting since Ohio has libraries galore!
Obiebookworm
FNAWrite

Post by FNAWrite »

it appears that in some places it's more than that since there are areas lacking libraries

I thought of this. I live in the 'burbs in possibly the richest society in the world - libraries, book stores and flea markets (.25 a piece) abound. The two closest 'Little Libraries" to me (and most others in my state) are perhaps surprisingly in urban areas.

My guess would be that there are quite a few more of these types of "libraries", just unaffiliated.

On a peripherally related subject, any bookmobiles in your area? My county library runs one with a claimed 4,000 titles on board; browsing the schedule, it appears they make a few dozen stops a month at locations within the county.
TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

Hm...I have never heard of that! That is really interesting! And a very good way to give access to books to people who may not have access. :)
Ella

Post by Ella »

A lot of people don't particularly like going to the library, but if they pass a 'little free library' or a free 'book table' etc. they are more apt to browse and grab something. And may even drop something off on their way past again. Also, they don't have to worry about due dates, fees, check-out or whatever. I may find a tiny little book corner around here yet :wink:
silverbond
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-silverbond.html

Post by silverbond »

Sadly there are no Little free Library's in my area i may have to contact the Library about setting one up
FNAWrite

Post by FNAWrite »

I don't think you have to contact the library about setting up your own lending library.

Look at the linked website or just put some books on a table in the front yard.
obiebookworm
Currently Reading: Sigfried&rsquo;s Smelly Socks!

Post by obiebookworm »

FNAWrite wrote:I don't think you have to contact the library about setting up your own lending library.

Look at the linked website or just put some books on a table in the front yard.
I concur!! :D
Obiebookworm
silverbond
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-silverbond.html

Post by silverbond »

That seems like a great idea i might just do that
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

I think my desk at work probably qualifies as a little library - books circulate, take brief rests & some have kinda put down roots, but everyone in my building knows it as the place to go if you want to borrow a book or pass on one you've read.
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
obiebookworm
Currently Reading: Sigfried&rsquo;s Smelly Socks!

Post by obiebookworm »

Fran wrote:I think my desk at work probably qualifies as a little library - books circulate, take brief rests & some have kinda put down roots, but everyone in my building knows it as the place to go if you want to borrow a book or pass on one you've read.
Certainly!!! Those are the best! :D
Obiebookworm

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”