Do you have a free little library in your area?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Bfrisco
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bfrisco.html
Latest Review: "Summer Warriors" by Bill Sharp

Re: Do you have a free little library in your area?

Post by Bfrisco »

There's one that isn't too far from me. It's near a coffee shop, I think.
Latest Review: "Summer Warriors" by Bill Sharp
Maud Fitch
Favorite Author: Jasper Fforde
Favorite Book: The Eyre Affair
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 4856

Post by Maud Fitch »

We are well stocked with public libraries in my city; some are small and housed in historical buildings and others are in huge modern edifices. Many children's playgroups have small libraries loaning books on parenting to new parents.

I remember years ago there was a trend to leave a book behind for someone else. The reader left it on a park bench, in an airport lounge, the dentist waiting room, the local café. Don't know if it's still done today.

My all-time favourite is THE FOOTPATH LIBRARY. Founded in Australia by Sarah Garnett in 2003, The Footpath Library grew out of sorrow, a simple observation, and the desire to make a difference. When family friend Benjamin Andrew died unexpectedly, Sarah responded to her grief by volunteering with a group serving meals to homeless and disadvantaged people in Sydney’s CBD, Australia.

One evening, Sarah noticed a man sitting under a streetlight reading a novel while waiting for the food van. She started bringing him a few books and it was from this humble beginning that the original memorial The Benjamin Andrew Footpath Library grew. The Footpath Library collects donated books from the public and publishers and gives them to those who don’t have access to good quality reading material. They are literally spread out on the footpath for browsing.
"Every story has three sides to it - yours, mine and the facts" Foster Meharny Russell
obiebookworm
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: Picture of Dorian Gray
Currently Reading: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obiebookworm.html
Latest Review: "The Little Ladybug" by Amelia May
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by obiebookworm »

Maud Fitch wrote:We are well stocked with public libraries in my city; some are small and housed in historical buildings and others are in huge modern edifices. Many children's playgroups have small libraries loaning books on parenting to new parents.

I remember years ago there was a trend to leave a book behind for someone else. The reader left it on a park bench, in an airport lounge, the dentist waiting room, the local café. Don't know if it's still done today.

My all-time favourite is THE FOOTPATH LIBRARY. Founded in Australia by Sarah Garnett in 2003, The Footpath Library grew out of sorrow, a simple observation, and the desire to make a difference. When family friend Benjamin Andrew died unexpectedly, Sarah responded to her grief by volunteering with a group serving meals to homeless and disadvantaged people in Sydney’s CBD, Australia.

One evening, Sarah noticed a man sitting under a streetlight reading a novel while waiting for the food van. She started bringing him a few books and it was from this humble beginning that the original memorial The Benjamin Andrew Footpath Library grew. The Footpath Library collects donated books from the public and publishers and gives them to those who don’t have access to good quality reading material. They are literally spread out on the footpath for browsing.
Really cool! Thanks for sharing!!
Obiebookworm
Latest Review: "The Little Ladybug" by Amelia May
yalonde
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yalonde.html
Latest Review: "The Road To Comfort" by Becky Lower

Post by yalonde »

I didn't have a clue what a littlelibrary was until i clicked on the site provided. We don't have one where i live, but we have many libraries in my city. I have about 5 or more libraries within a 10 minute drive. I think it is a good idea for those areas with not many libraries.
Latest Review: "The Road To Comfort" by Becky Lower
JenniferBoyce
Favorite Author: Jared Diamond
Favorite Book: The Name of the Wind
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenniferboyce.html
fav_author_id: 3301

Post by JenniferBoyce »

There are many in my area. It's really wonderful; sometimes it seems as if you can't even walk down the street without encountering a little free library. They are such an amazing concept; what a great way to spread the love of books!
Loveabull
Favorite Author: Too many to list
Favorite Book: Too many to count

Post by Loveabull »

That would be a nifty idea to suggest at work. We have a huge employee kitchen and a core bunch of readers. Only problem I forsee is getting bogged down in books that aren't going anywhere. Then again if that happens I could take the less popular titles and swap them at the library used shelves. You couldn't have that idea in a public area in our town. Somebody would take the books and steal the shelves too.
" The writer must write what he has to say, not speak it."
cam_gold
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cam-gold.html

Post by cam_gold »

There are two revolving book racks in my local library that are dedicated to free book exchange, but there is rarely anything but romance novels on those racks. Of course, if one is an avid romance novel reader, that is all good and well. I supposed those paperback Harlequins, Regencies, and Historicals are pretty consumable. I assume people are holding on to their other books.
Winter
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-winter.html
Latest Review: "The 30-Day Writing Challenge" by Sara Crawford

Post by Winter »

The theater in my town has something like that. They have a little spot under the stairs where people can leave books, take them to borrow them, or even just take them. I don't know how much success it has gotten, but it's a cool idea.
Latest Review: "The 30-Day Writing Challenge" by Sara Crawford
RILENTLISS
Favorite Author: Mealea Mathews
Favorite Book: Great Expectations
Currently Reading: The Giver
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rilentliss.html
Latest Review: "Our True Origin The Real History of Man" by Scott P. Davis
fav_author_id: 1967

Post by RILENTLISS »

Yes the Moreno Valley City library. It's free to join and check out, but you have to pay fees if your return is late.
Latest Review: "Our True Origin The Real History of Man" by Scott P. Davis
shinjiblue
Currently Reading: A Dance with Dragons
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shinjiblue.html
Latest Review: "The Stones of Judgment" by Deborah Wise

Post by shinjiblue »

[quote="Fran"]I think my desk at work probably qualifies as a little library - books circulate, take brief rests & some have kinda put down roots, but everyone in my building knows it as the place to go if you want to borrow a book or pass on one you've read.[/quote]

That definitely qualifies. Great idea.
Latest Review: "The Stones of Judgment" by Deborah Wise
jamespoet
Favorite Author: Ray Bradbury
Favorite Book: FAHRENHEIT 451
Currently Reading: THE FOREVER WAR and DANCING AZTECS
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamespoet.html
Latest Review: "Laikanist Times" by Dylan Malik Orchard
fav_author_id: 2498

Post by jamespoet »

I'd never heard of this; I honestly thought you were talking about the public library. That is such a cool idea.
The joys of literature transcend the evils of the world. I believe in its miraculious baptism and emotional power of the words trickling down the page. To me, there is no higher artform...
Latest Review: "Laikanist Times" by Dylan Malik Orchard
AMP76
Favorite Author: Paulo Coelho
Favorite Book: Consilience
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amp76.html
Latest Review: "The Secret Dead" by SW Fairbrother
fav_author_id: 2451

Post by AMP76 »

It would be neat if we did, but we live in the country, our closest neighbor is half a mile away, so it would still be a bit of a hike if there was one. My closest public library is 35 miles away.
Adventure...one part stupidty plus two parts perseverence....yeah, that's me!
Latest Review: "The Secret Dead" by SW Fairbrother
SoftCoyote
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: Hawksong
Currently Reading: Through the Looking Glass
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-softcoyote.html
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by SoftCoyote »

Not that I know of. Then again I do live in a college town so there are a ton of Libraries in my area. So people probably don't really feel the need to start their own.
Then again, I myself let people borrow books, so I am the library for some people.
annatmitchell

Post by annatmitchell »

Yes!!! It's in walking distance actually:)

-- 01 Apr 2014, 23:52 --

Yes!!! It's in walking distance actually:)
samuyama
Favorite Author: Orson Scott Card
Favorite Book: Enders Game
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samuyama.html
Latest Review: "Cardamom Days" by Derek Darke
fav_author_id: 2667

Post by samuyama »

My library is just a mile from my house, I love it!
Latest Review: "Cardamom Days" by Derek Darke

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”