NOT EVERY PARENT IS APPROVING OF " Harry Potter books

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Aussie-reader
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: NOT EVERY PARENT IS APPROVING OF " Harry Potter books

Post by Aussie-reader »

At the risk of becoming a stuck record :? - it is not about 'anything magical', or about the violence, almhere; it is about glorifying witchcraft.

- and I don't think people who don't like their children reading Harry Potter are against all fairy tales
alyssawilson28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alyssawilson28.html

Post by alyssawilson28 »

I have read the whole series many times. My student teacher in the fourth grade started reading the first books to us the year it came out and I loved it. I think they are great books and helps kids be more imaginative. I don't have any kids yet but I do plan to let them read the series if they choose to do so.
npandit
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-npandit.html
Latest Review: "Travel Instincts" by James C. Jensen

Post by npandit »

jhollan2 wrote:
ALRyder wrote:I remember back when I was in high school my mom had nothing to threaten me with. Her being upset would go like this:

"You're grounded from the TV"
My response, shrug "okay"
"Well you're grounded from the phone too."
"Okay."
"And the computer!"
"Okay."

My sister kept telling her to ground me from my books, but she said she just couldn't do that.
When I was grounded as a child, I had to sit in the living room and watch TV with the family. It really was a punishment, because all I wanted to do was read books in my room, where I wouldn't be disturbed.
Hahahaa!! My parents would have to hide my books. I would find them (always in the sock drawer) and read them secretly.

As for the books "glorifying" witchcraft, I suppose one could view it in that light--ironically, however, the major themes in the story are Christian; and the resolution in the end is reminiscent of Christ's sacrifice.

But when the mind is closed, no amount of knocking is going to open it, so I've never tried to convince anyone to read something they don't want to.
Latest Review: "Travel Instincts" by James C. Jensen
catolle
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catolle.html

Post by catolle »

My dad was one of those parents when they first came out but after begging and begging he finally caved in. I can see where parents get worried because some people take the book into reality. Books are enjoyable and are a way to escape reality and as long as we know its not real then I don't see a problem.
suzy1124

Post by suzy1124 »

catolle wrote:My dad was one of those parents when they first came out but after begging and begging he finally caved in. I can see where parents get worried because some people take the book into reality. Books are enjoyable and are a way to escape reality and as long as we know its not real then I don't see a problem.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kudos to your dad for caring enough about you to be so involved in your " reading life "....

The world needs more parents like him! 8) ....
" We don't see things as they are but as we are "

Carpe Diem!

Suzy...
Nimbus Wolfsbane
Favorite Author: Arthur Conan Doyle
Favorite Book: To Kill A Mocking Bird
Currently Reading: Fahrenheit 451
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nimbus-wolfsbane.html
fav_author_id: 2456

Post by Nimbus Wolfsbane »

I don't see any problem with it
With each page you turn another life you live...
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

I grew up with the Harry Potter books and I honestly think I became smarter after reading them. These books are so imaginative and J.K. Rowling used so many big words I had to look them up in the dictionary. I have to say my vocabulary increased a lot and Harry Potter was also filled with such good morals and values. It was definitely a series that got me excited about reading. I can't understand how parents would be disapproving of such great books.
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
David Dawson
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-dawson.html
Latest Review: "The Mystery Factor" by Michael Brightman

Post by David Dawson »

Maybe it's an empathetic failure on my part, but I just cannot understand "the promotion of witchcraft" being an objection to a book.
S dot Lennon
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: My current book theme is banned books
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-s-dot-lennon.html
Latest Review: "Whispered Secrets Whispered Prayers" by Donna Mack
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by S dot Lennon »

I read the first Harry Potter book when I was 12 years old. It had just been published in the US and I loved every minute of it. My mother never blinked. Mind you I had been reading Stephen King for the last 3 years, so a fantasy book about a wizard wasnt a big deal. My issue when parents say no to a book like Harry Potter based on the belief that it promotes withcraft or is against Christianity is simple: don't judge a book by its label/synopsis. Don't read the word wizard and tremble in fear. If your child genuinely wants to read a book and you don't know how you feel about it then you should read it and then make your decision. Then, in the case of Harry Potter, you would see the innocence, you would see the references to Christmas and Easter, you would realize that it is a book marketed towards a certain age, that eventually changes as the books progress. You would see that it was a fiction book that isnt trying to turn your child over to the dark side. Don't take away an experience for your child when you are uneducated on the topic. Hearsay is not a reason to stop your child from enjoying a book. If you, as a parent, read the book and decide that no it isnt for your child and it does conflict then fine. At least you are making an educated decision and not blindly judging. I had a friend whose mother wouldn't let her read Harry Potter but let her watched Charmed (a televison show about 3 sisters who are witches and practice witchcraft in the modern age, circa the late 1990's). I didn't understand it then. I don't understand it now.
All I need is a new book and a place to read it...
Latest Review: "Whispered Secrets Whispered Prayers" by Donna Mack
rangel81

Post by rangel81 »

I had read them when I was in college. So I was a bit older than the targeted audience in that regard. But now that I do know what it is about, I hesitate to let my children read them since the subject is witchcraft & sorcery. If I consider voodoo an unsuitable choice of reading matter, then I conclude this series is unsuitable too. But I'm not going to force my opinion on others. It is just my choice as a parent & I won't inflict my opinion on someone else's way of parenting. It is not so much the fact that it is a very gripping plot & just a story. It is a matter of principle for me. So contrary to most others here, I do disapprove of Harry Potter as a reading choice for children. If I want my kids to have some experience reading fantasy, I would go with The Chronicles of Narnia any day.
David Dawson
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-dawson.html

Post by David Dawson »

rangel81 wrote:I hesitate to let my children read them since the subject is witchcraft & sorcery.
Genuinely curious, could you explain why you think "witchcraft & sorcery" are unsuitable topics for children? (On a separate point, I'd probably argue that that's not what the books are about anyway, but that's a different issue...)
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

David Dawson wrote:Maybe it's an empathetic failure on my part, but I just cannot understand "the promotion of witchcraft" being an objection to a book.
Neither can I. :wink:
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
prarich
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prarich.html
Latest Review: "The Angel with Burnt Wings" by Scarlett Jensen

Post by prarich »

I think it is harmless entertainment for kids. Most important, it re-inforces their habit of reading,builds their language skills, if not anything else. I would encourage my child to read them, and also wait to read the next editions.
Latest Review: "The Angel with Burnt Wings" by Scarlett Jensen
Wolfsbane Creations
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wolfsbane-creations.html

Post by Wolfsbane Creations »

I don't see any harm
LittleWilma
Favorite Author: Jeff Melton
Favorite Book: Dark Destiny
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-littlewilma.html

Post by LittleWilma »

I think that a parent's opinion should be respected whether we agree with them or not. As a Christian, I can see not allowing a child to read a book about witches. I have a sister-in-law who forbade Harry Potter. My sister and nephew enjoyed it. This particular series is a moot point in my case, because neither of my children has ever had any interest in anything to do with Harry Potter.
"I like liquor — its taste and its effects — and that is just the reason why I never drink it."
-Stonewall Jackson

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”