How do you hold your books?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

How do you hold your books?

Post by Scott »

Okay, this question might sound silly, but I'm serious.

How do you hold your books when you read? When I was a kid, I used to bend them back like I do to a newspaper. However that ruined the binding of the books and permanently deformed them. Nowadays, I take care of my books when reading. Usually, I even hold them with two hands.

What about you? How do you hold your book? Do you try not to damage them at all?
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
LoveHatesYou
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by LoveHatesYou »

My personal preferance is to lie flat on my stomach and lay the book flat as well, but if I'm up in a tree or something (I like reading while hiking, or while the bf is rock climbing, so I end up doing a lot of reading in trees) I do it with one hand. I trty not to damage, but my main concern is to consume the story, swallow it whole, and not get anything stuck between my teeth, and if the book shows a little wear and tear for my efforts, so be it. I also read in the bathtub, so water damage is an issue... But that is my favorite time of the day...
"I am a slave to the wonders of the imagination and the cage of creativity." -E. Maggard
knightss

Post by knightss »

i usually read w/ two hands, unless my other hand is occupied. by occupied i mean holding coffee or something... you people and your dirty minds :x

the binding on my books are generally in good condition except for some of my favorites which show some signs of wear and tear.
Linda

Post by Linda »

ha i read in like the worst way possible. i'll be laying on my back and i'll hold the book open with one hand at the top and have it like hovering over my face. eventually one arm gets tired so i have to switch to the other hand. ha but in public its a different story...because if i did that infront of people they would think i was crazy. i still only use one hand just i hold a book from the bottom instead of the top and sit in an upright position and use my thumb to hold the page.

i never realized how odd my book holding technique is! lol
"I hope you can't sleep and you dream about it
And when you dream I hope you can't sleep and you SCREAM about it
I hope your conscience EATS AT YOU and you can't BREATHE without me"
kaytie

Post by kaytie »

Ooohh!! Now I want to read a book in a tree!

I keep my books in as perfect a condition as I can. Usually I hold them in my lap or lay them on a table. At night I'll either hold them above my head as I'm laying on my back or rest them on the pillow and balance on my elbows.

Because I read so much I have reading glasses--preemptive reading glasses. :)
sleepydumpling

Post by sleepydumpling »

It depends on where I am reading. If I am reading on the train to and from work, then usually it's a two hand style right in front of me. I have the same method if I'm sitting on the couch.

If I'm reading in bed, then it tends to be one handed, with the book resting on the pillow in front of me as I lay on my side. Sometimes I will lay on my stomach and put the book on the pillow in front of me.

And if I read at the lunch table at work, I tend to lay the book on the table, hold it steady with one hand and the fork with the other.
Have a Hoot: Read a Book! http://www.haveahootreadabook.co.uk

DuchessAngel37

Post by DuchessAngel37 »

Linda, I read just like you. The lying on the back parts sucks
awelker

Post by awelker »

there is two ways that i read. both are in my bed. one way is me laying on my back and holding the book in my hands. the second is me sitting against the wall my legs criss cross style with the book in my lap.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

While reading with both hands I crack the book open just enough to be able to read and not damage the spine. I like to preserve the book's cover and spine. On paperbacks, sometimes the corners try to fly away but I curb that by placing a rubber band around the edge to keep it weighted down. When I finish with a book I like it to look as close to being new or unread as possible.
Linda

Post by Linda »

i dont care at all if i crease my books or whatever. im one of those people that fold pages and underline and make notes in the margin. idk it doent really matter to me the condition of my books as long as they dont have pages missing.
sleepydumpling

Post by sleepydumpling »

I don't mind people damaging their own books if they're going to keep them, but it really bugs me when people mistreat library books, or wreck books they intend to sell or give away. Or even worse... other people's books! :evil:

I am pretty respectful with my books - I don't mind the spine split so that they open properly, but with hard covers you should gently stretch the spine open. I hate people who dog ear pages though. That drives me bonkers! The book doesn't sit right on your shelves if the corners are dog eared, it takes up more room than it should. Shelf space is kinda prime real estate for me - I have so many books and only limited shelf space.
Have a Hoot: Read a Book! http://www.haveahootreadabook.co.uk

Linda

Post by Linda »

ha not to worry i only destroy my own books lol
Anna

Post by Anna »

In school I took care of my books...and my teachers didn't believe that I had read them!
________
Angelina Jolie Nude
Last edited by Anna on 24 Feb 2011, 17:37, edited 1 time in total.
Linda

Post by Linda »

the librarians at my school are so mean and nasty maybe thats why kids don't go to the library like at all...elementary school was a different story tho when the librarian used to like read to us she had the most soothing voice. she was ill lol

oh and i bet your a way better librarian sleepydumpling :wink:
knightss

Post by knightss »

one of my old friends would always steal books from my high school library.. then he ended up stealing my girlfriend also =(

.. i should have seen it coming lol

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”