Which Room in Your Home Contains the Most Reading Material?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Loveabull
Favorite Author: Too many to list
Favorite Book: Too many to count
Bookshelf Size: 0

Which Room in Your Home Contains the Most Reading Material?

Post by Loveabull »

I just had to think about that a bit myself. I think it would be the dining room. Explanation is that I have three floor to ceiling bookshelves in there plus my desk that's always stacked with books, magazines, catalogs and clippings to read. Second place is the upstairs hall with kind of cobbled shelves of three different units stacked to create one big set of shelves. Third place would be the bedroom with stacks on most surfaces...dangerous when fat footed kitties walk the headboard at night :lol:
" The writer must write what he has to say, not speak it."
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

The play room of my kids. We have a huge library there and we keep most books there. We have books in the rooms and hall as well.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
ErinLundJohnson
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erinlundjohnson.html

Post by ErinLundJohnson »

Toss-up between the living room, with two large cases of 15 shelves combined, and the bedroom, with a case of 5 shelves, a bureau with a shelf full of books, 3 baskets full of them, and a stack on my bedside table... I'd have to count them to figure it out! LOL
caelishbarham
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caelishbarham.html

Post by caelishbarham »

My bedroom for sure! I always have at least ten books in my bedroom at all time! I tend to start a book right before I go to bed (meaning I don't usually go to bed until the book is finished).
ParadiseLost19
Favorite Author: John Green
Favorite Book: Shamanka by Jeanne Willis
Currently Reading: Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paradiselost19.html
Latest Review: "Infidelity- Exploding the Myths" by Julia Hartley Moore
fav_author_id: 2072

Post by ParadiseLost19 »

For me, that would be the room I share with my sister. In addition to our own books, our parents also put their old books here. That's not even mentioning the serious book-buying addiction I have and the fact that the most common Christmas and Birthday presents in this household are books. The result is that small piles of books erupt from the ground because there isn't enough space on the shelves :)
Latest Review: "Infidelity- Exploding the Myths" by Julia Hartley Moore
Jenniferpotucek
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenniferpotucek.html

Post by Jenniferpotucek »

I keep all of my books in my bedroom because I love reading in bed.
Loveabull
Favorite Author: Too many to list
Favorite Book: Too many to count

Post by Loveabull »

ParadiseLost19 wrote: The result is that small piles of books erupt from the ground because there isn't enough space on the shelves :)
I knew it! I knew it! You have just proven me correct that book piles left overnight can reproduce on their own :lol:
" The writer must write what he has to say, not speak it."
DATo
Previous Member of the Month

Post by DATo »

My office which contains bookshelves containing about 3,000 books. Next would be the guest bathroom which contains one book - Franny & Zooey - which was placed there to serve as emergency toilet tissue.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Doc Foster
Favorite Author: John LeCarre
Favorite Book: The Great Gatsby
Currently Reading: A Flag for Sunrise

Post by Doc Foster »

My office, with about 1000 books. The number has remained pretty constant since we moved into our house in 2005, when I made a deal with my wife: she'd say nothing about the disarray of the room as long as I didn't allow it to spread to the rest of the house. Not to mention my Kindle, with another 400 or so ebooks.

I filled up the shelves long ago, and now, when I need to make room for new books, I remove those I can best part with and give them to the library. The shelves stay full, in no apparent order. However, I have a database for them which tells me where to find them - it works very well, and I don't have to reorganize.

I don't mind losing (most) old favorites. First, I don't much care about books as objects* ; second, I rationalize by saying that as long as I always give away my least favorite books my library will keep on getting better, even if not bigger.

*Some books I can't part with. The set of Hemingway novels, in their original dull Scrivener paperback covers, which I bought fifty years ago; Isaac Asimov's The Martian Way and Other Stories, which I bought on Balboa Island one summer when I was fifteen, lost, and finally replaced; the hardcover guides to the Old and New Testaments which my wife loaned me in college; the Stargazer's Guide, which my mom and dad gave me for Christmas, along with a telescope, when I was ten...maybe a few others I'll remember when I've posted this.
Rosytoes
Favorite Book: How can someone pick just one favorite
Currently Reading: Mortal Instrument Series
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosytoes.html

Post by Rosytoes »

Hands down, my bedroom, it seems like every inch is covered in books. I have a huge bookshelf but it is not big enough and books are stacked everywhere. It is probably not safe. :?
tracydinh96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tracydinh96.html

Post by tracydinh96 »

My bedroom has the majority of my books
dudeandduchess
Favorite Author: R.L. Matthewson
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dudeandduchess.html

Post by dudeandduchess »

My bedroom has 70% of all the books at home. I have a book shelf for them, but I've lost space for all the other books that I've resorted to using my closet as well as my brother's room to keep my books.
Bella_0772
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bella-0772.html

Post by Bella_0772 »

Right now I am living in a studio apartment, so basically the whole apartment!
Dream Catcher
Currently Reading: Battle Royale [Koushun Takami]
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dream-catcher.html

Post by Dream Catcher »

My Room.
lbuckman
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lbuckman.html
Latest Review: "Lingering..." by Casey Harvell

Post by lbuckman »

I would have to say the bedroom or the playroom.
Latest Review: "Lingering..." by Casey Harvell

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”