Does reading more books increase reading speed?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Mom2Grey
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mom2grey.html

Does reading more books increase reading speed?

Post by Mom2Grey »

I'm not sure exactly, but I'm leaning towards "no" at this point.

In the same vein, will reading more books improve comprehension over time?
Or do we just kinda "plateau" somewhere?

What do you guys think?
Laine32

Post by Laine32 »

I'd actually say that it does. I read a lot and I've found that I'm finishing the same amount of pages quicker than before. Also, when my husband and I are sharing the laptop to review something, I always seem to begin scrolling down long before he's ready, lol. I really don't think I was as fast as I am now just a year ago.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Maybe a bit. Anyway, I am a fast reader myself and feel no need to increase my reading speed any further.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
louisemwilcox13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-louisemwilcox13.html

Post by louisemwilcox13 »

That's a really good question. I would think how fast you read would depend on how fast you can comprehend the sentences. I have found that as my reading comprehension grew my reading speed grew as well. It would also explain why we can read faster now than when we were in elementary school.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.” -George R.R. Martin
DATo

Post by DATo »

I think it depends on the individual. I think I actually read slower today than I did when I was younger because I am not as rushed in my daily routine as I used to be. I am not reading because I have to, as I did when I was in school, but because I want to, therefore I can decide how much to read and when to do it and I can take my time with it. I can read faster if I want to but I now prefer to take my time. But to answer the question, generally speaking I'd say that reading is like anything else, the more you practice it the better you get at it in both speed and comprehension.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
nan m
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nan-m.html
Latest Review: "Lantern in the Mist (Second Review)" by Liliana Shelbrook

Post by nan m »

well, no! I dont think so. It depends on your connect with book. If you are too lost then you'll not even care what is going on around. :P
Latest Review: "Lantern in the Mist (Second Review)" by Liliana Shelbrook
missg
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-missg.html
Latest Review: "The Farmer's Fate" by A TRAUB

Post by missg »

I think so yes, the more books you read the better your comprehension of reading increases also, but only if you enjoy the book and are not forced into reading it.
Latest Review: "The Farmer's Fate" by A TRAUB
1-987

Post by 1-987 »

I think it definitely does. I think anything you do , you get better every time.
autocash

Post by autocash »

I believe the more you read, the more your speed increases. I read all the time and seem to go through a book in record time now compared to just a couple of years ago.
9bit
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: 1984
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by 9bit »

After I took a long hiatus from reading books and then got back into it, I did notice an increase in speed and comprehension after a month or two.

"Practicing" anything makes you better at it. Whether that means you'll be faster or not is an individualistic thing. But I certainly believe you get better at reading the more you do it, and that may very well mean an increase in speed amongst other things.

Not having to re-read a line or paragraph two or three times because you get it the first time around leads to an increase in overall speed. You may also form better reading habits as you read more, which again could increase speed in some ways.
Sophrosyne
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophrosyne.html

Post by Sophrosyne »

Not for me, but I've always been a pretty fast reader.

As far as cohesion and comprehension, definitely. I find that I'm better able to retain information the more I read, and if I'm keeping up on my reading, I don't end up having to go back to re-read so much in between putting the book down.
tracydinh96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tracydinh96.html

Post by tracydinh96 »

No it doesn't. Some people are just naturally slow readers
Bella_0772
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bella-0772.html

Post by Bella_0772 »

I think yes, practice would increase speed, fluency, etc.
Nathrad Sheare
Favorite Author: Hawthorne and Poe
Favorite Book: The Scarlet Letter
Currently Reading: Too much
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nathrad-sheare.html
Latest Review: "No Poverty Between the Sheets" by Pauline Kiely

Post by Nathrad Sheare »

I think it depends... I started reading faster after about twenty novels... Some people I know, though, don't read any faster now than they read twenty years ago and they read all the time... I dunno...
Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who only dream at night.

-Edgar Allan Poe
Latest Review: "No Poverty Between the Sheets" by Pauline Kiely
TrishaAnn92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

I would have to say no. For as long as I can remember I have been reading at the same, somewhat slow, (my husband says I am a quick reader as I finish books quickly), pace. Sometimes rereading sentences if I felt I read it without actually reading it, if that makes any sense.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”