Does reading more books increase reading speed?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Dh_
Favorite Author: Alex Flinn
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 714">Carry On</a>
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dh.html
Latest Review: "Nobody Cares Who You Are - The Life and Times of Aceman, A Widespread Panic Roadie" by Larry Acquaviva
fav_author_id: 4010

Re: Does reading more books increase reading speed?

Post by Dh_ »

I think at a certain age it would improve your speed. Kids that start to read more often probably read faster when they practice more. For everyone that already reads a lot, I don't think so. I pretty much read at the same speed and I have for the last few years. It all depends on how much I like the book.
Latest Review: "Nobody Cares Who You Are - The Life and Times of Aceman, A Widespread Panic Roadie" by Larry Acquaviva
Ama Idim
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ama-idim.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty

Post by Ama Idim »

I would say a little, I'm just not sure but having a set target for a set period definitely increases speed
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Henrytbab
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-henrytbab.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by Henrytbab »

I think it does just a little bit. Because one would not have to learn some words one has already encountered.
"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
-George Bernard Shaw
Lia A
Favorite Book: Aurora Rising
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lia-a.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by Lia A »

I think that it does, but only a little. After all, practicing can help you improve.
โ€œ๐“ž๐“ท๐“ฎ ๐“ถ๐“พ๐“ผ๐“ฝ ๐“ช๐“ต๐”€๐“ช๐”‚๐“ผ ๐“ซ๐“ฎ ๐“ฌ๐“ช๐“ป๐“ฎ๐“ฏ๐“พ๐“ต ๐“ธ๐“ฏ ๐“ซ๐“ธ๐“ธ๐“ด๐“ผ, ๐“ช๐“ท๐“ญ ๐”€๐“ฑ๐“ช๐“ฝ ๐“ฒ๐“ผ ๐“ฒ๐“ท๐“ผ๐“ฒ๐“ญ๐“ฎ ๐“ฝ๐“ฑ๐“ฎ๐“ถ, ๐“ฏ๐“ธ๐“ป ๐”€๐“ธ๐“ป๐“ญ๐“ผ ๐“ฑ๐“ช๐“ฟ๐“ฎ ๐“ฝ๐“ฑ๐“ฎ ๐“น๐“ธ๐”€๐“ฎ๐“ป ๐“ฝ๐“ธ ๐“ฌ๐“ฑ๐“ช๐“ท๐“ฐ๐“ฎ ๐“พ๐“ผ.โ€
โ€• ๐“’๐“ช๐“ผ๐“ผ๐“ช๐“ท๐“ญ๐“ป๐“ช ๐“’๐“ต๐“ช๐“ป๐“ฎ, (๐“’๐“ต๐“ธ๐“ฌ๐“ด๐”€๐“ธ๐“ป๐“ด ๐“๐“ท๐“ฐ๐“ฎ๐“ต)
Essywa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-essywa.html
Latest Review: ...on your way home...Do This by George Six

Post by Essywa »

As for me it does increase my reading speed but it also depends with the books am reading.
Bigwig1973
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Post by Bigwig1973 »

I think it probably does because as the vocabulary of the reader increases, the processing time decreases. However, as the number of books read increases, it's possible that reading time decreases, again due to comparing this book to that book, this writer to that writer, etc. Especially if one likes to jot on the margins. My reading speed decreased quite a bit after I learned about literary criticism and as I started comparing a current book to other books, looking for evidence to support a point to argue or for something from which to develop and then support a theory. I kind of had to relearn to just read the book for enjoyment without being so critical.
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?
Stephanie Runyon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Destiny Hawkins
Favorite Book: The Omicron Six
Currently Reading: The North Factor
Bookshelf Size: 1662
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-runyon.html
Latest Review: Deadly Sexy Lizzy Vol. 1-3 by Michael Richey
Reading Device: B07R3HTWLN
fav_author_id: 100303

Post by Stephanie Runyon »

Reading more will increase your ability to comprehend the information. That could slightly increase your reading speed because you won't have to stop to understand your topic.
Hannah_Keos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannah-keos.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Hannah_Keos »

For me, no. Its all about how interested I am in the book. And maybe how its written. I can read quickly if I'm dying to know what happens next or the info is fascinating, but I'll never finish the page if I'm the least bit bored. If you read more books that interest you from the start, then yes, you'll notice increased reading speed. If its a dense book, maybe I'd take my time, just to absorb all the author wrote.
Lilyflower-x2
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lilyflower-x2.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by Lilyflower-x2 »

Hannah_Keos wrote: โ†‘21 Sep 2020, 21:57 For me, no. Its all about how interested I am in the book. And maybe how its written. I can read quickly if I'm dying to know what happens next or the info is fascinating, but I'll never finish the page if I'm the least bit bored. If you read more books that interest you from the start, then yes, you'll notice increased reading speed. If its a dense book, maybe I'd take my time, just to absorb all the author wrote.
I agree Hannah. The more interesting the book the faster I will read it.
โ€œA reader lives a thousand lives before he dies . . . The man who never reads lives only one.โ€ โ€“ George R.R. Martin
Lilyflower-x2
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lilyflower-x2.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by Lilyflower-x2 »

My reading speed is dependent on the type of book. I take my time reading financial books. I want to understand everything that the author is teaching. Novels that I read for fun and to pass the time take a shorter time to finish.
โ€œA reader lives a thousand lives before he dies . . . The man who never reads lives only one.โ€ โ€“ George R.R. Martin
MrsTurner2013
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrsturner2013.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by MrsTurner2013 »

I would say the more you read, the faster you will become. When I started reading I had a hard time with it. I was really slow and had comprehension problems. To fix it, I grabbed every book I could and worked on focusing while slowly increasing my speed. Now, as an adult, I have no problem reading a 200 page book within a week and retaining the information.
Divya Tamilselvan
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-divya-t.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer
Reading Device: B086KCQX95

Post by Divya Tamilselvan »

I am not sure if reading more books can help us to increase reading speed. But I think if we intend to increase reading speed, even fewer books can help us.
SmartReviewer77
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smartreviewer77.html
Latest Review: Confessions of a Manaholic by P. Pierre

Post by SmartReviewer77 »

Maybe. I've noticed mine has increased steadily the more I've read. Or not. Depends on your reading technique though.
Humera955
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-humera955.html
Latest Review: Smart Love by Vincent Fudge II
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Humera955 »

I don't think it increases your speed, it just gives you a better flow, eventually you understand words better than before and you rarely have to Google meaning of those words.
Salah bourouba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salah-bourouba.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Salah bourouba »

i definetly think yes it does, you will get used to the words and read them without realizing
Recite in the name of your Lord who created [*] Created man from a clinging substance [*] Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous [*] Who taught by the pen [*] Taught man that which he knew not.
The Quran. Surah Al Alaq

Return to โ€œGeneral Book & Reading Discussionโ€