Which required books did you enjoy reading?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Chrissie02
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Which required books did you enjoy reading?

Post by Chrissie02 »

I'm very new to this site but love to read anything fiction and romantic novels.
missbookworm

Post by missbookworm »

1. Brave New World
2. Indian Killer
3. Great Gatsby
4. Grapes Of Wrath
5. Fight Club
LiteraryMagic
Currently Reading: The Wicked Wives
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-literarymagic.html
Latest Review: "Gender Bias in Mystery and Romance Novel Publishing" by Anna Faktorovich
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by LiteraryMagic »

Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi. So good!
Latest Review: "Gender Bias in Mystery and Romance Novel Publishing" by Anna Faktorovich
Sarah Clay
Favorite Author: Charles Dickens
Currently Reading: Lost in the Wilderness
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-clay.html
Latest Review: "The Lob Mob" by Tell Tale
fav_author_id: 2384

Post by Sarah Clay »

A Tale of Two Cities and Great Expectations, for sure. What can I say? High school English started my Dickens obsession.
Latest Review: "The Lob Mob" by Tell Tale
hannahbm13
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 920">Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone</a>
Currently Reading: Doctor Who: Winner Takes All
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannahbm13.html
Latest Review: "The Last City of America" by Matthew Tysz

Post by hannahbm13 »

The Wednesday Wars. I freaking loved it so much, I think I reread it five times before I had to turn it in.
Latest Review: "The Last City of America" by Matthew Tysz
zjones99
Favorite Author: John Green
Currently Reading: Binge
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zjones99.html
fav_author_id: 2072

Post by zjones99 »

I have enjoyed (and hated) many books my teachers have required. As I current high schooler, I know I have a lot more to come. My favorite one so far has been Anthem by Ayn Rand. The dystopian future concept is always something I have enjoyed reading about. My least favorite is actually the one I am currently reading, which is The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain. I get it is a classic, but really when you combine metaphors AND a thick southern accent, it just confuses my poor brain. The books I would probably assign would be To Kill a Mockingbird, Fahrenheit 451, and Looking for Alaksa (just to have something new that my students would enjoy and we can connect that book to today's society).
partygirl4202010
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-partygirl4202010.html

Post by partygirl4202010 »

When I was in high school I was required to read, Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte. I enjoyed reading it.
Calicopia

Post by Calicopia »

I have always loved reading, but didn't always love reading books for school. Shakespeare was not my thing. My favorite books were:
1) Fahrenheit 451
2) On the Beach
3) Jane Eyre
4) Pride and prejudice
kitsune1997
Favorite Author: Derek Laundy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitsune1997.html
Latest Review: The Devil Pulls the Strings by J. W. Zarek

Post by kitsune1997 »

I enjoyed reading the book Arthur and the Minimoys. I was 8 and after that I never had another reading assignment :(
I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library.
Jorge Luis Borges
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I remember I was required to read The Outsiders and The Catcher in the Rye, both of which I enjoyed.
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
lmdudley3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lmdudley3.html

Post by lmdudley3 »

I enjoyed "The Scarlet Letter" and "Grapes of Wrath".
Tanaya
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanaya.html
Latest Review: Beans...Finding My Way Home by Debi Brown
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Tanaya »

1) George Orwell's for sure! I had read it before being assigned to read it, so when it became homework, I was more than thrilled. It's my favorite book of all time! While my high English teacher countered that it is not a good piece of "literary" fiction, the premise is at least appealing. Though I see his point, I still love it.
2) Alan Paton's Cry, the Beloved Country. Unlike 1984, I had no idea what this story was about before being instructed to read it for class. The novel is set in South Africa and involves an elderly preacher searching for his son. It's one that you really just have to read for yourself to appreciate its quiet magnificence.
3) James Baldwin's Go Tell it on the Mountain. The best word I could use to describe this book is raw. A true classic.
dhaller
Currently Reading: The Moral Arc
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dhaller.html
Latest Review: "Off to See the Wizard" by Clay Johnson

Post by dhaller »

mocreasch89 wrote:I particularly enjoyed "The Once and Future King" and "The Odyssey" myself.
They let you read "The Once and Future King" for class? I'm jealous.

I enjoyed "The Scarlet Letter" and "Catcher in the Rye." Hawthorne in particular was the only author who ever used symbolism in a way that I could understand.

I suppose Macbeth was good too.
Latest Review: "Off to See the Wizard" by Clay Johnson
keisha_jc
Currently Reading: Jane Eyre
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-keisha-jc.html
Latest Review: "Step One:Killing Hitler" by William Dean Hamilton

Post by keisha_jc »

In Cold Blood by Truman Capote was an amazing book to read! I usually dislike the idea of required readings because it makes it seem like a chore, but this one was too interesting to seem like that. The book was full of suspense, intense detils, and a interesting take on a murder case.
Latest Review: "Step One:Killing Hitler" by William Dean Hamilton
nikkolawson
Currently Reading: The Book of Life
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikkolawson.html
Reading Device: 1400699169

Post by nikkolawson »

My favorite required book from highschool was "The Catcher in the Rye" by J.D. Salinger. At the time, I was able to relate to the main character, Holden Caulfield, like a lot of young readers. The sarcasm and use of "colorful language" was a nice breath of fresh air, compared to other required reads in highschool. Holden may have been a little annoying at times, but through this book I learned a lot from him. The subjects Salinger covers in this book are countless and some very sensitive (materialism, loss, love, money, depression). As a required book for highschooler students, I believe it was a wise choice to put on the list whether you did or didn't like it. It sparks thoughts and questions for every highschool student.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”