Which required books did you enjoy reading?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Crossroad Readers
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crossroad-readers.html
Latest Review: "Love for One" by Stacey Haga

Re: Which required books did you enjoy reading?

Post by Crossroad Readers »

I honestly can't think of any assigned reading in school that I enjoyed. I never really enjoyed reading until after I got out of school and when I could choose the genre and books I wanted to read.
Latest Review: "Love for One" by Stacey Haga
DFB
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DFB »

I feel like a lot if not all of required reading is chosen by how easy it is to teach from, rather than its overall content or message. I remember finding all the books we had to read more than a bit obvious and heavy handed. It was tedious to go through
Grey_Storm84
Bookshelf Size: 1

Post by Grey_Storm84 »

I remember I always had something I liked about my required reading but I don't remember well what my required reading was.
What I do remember was that I enjoyed all of Emily Bronte's Jane Eyre except some long account of something or other in the middle.
I liked Jane Eyre because Jane's journey is one I can relate to so, at the time, she was a role model I could look up to: a strong woman who understood and kept her morals.
adambongo
Currently Reading: F
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adambongo.html
Latest Review: "Holding Fire" by Ten Awesome Writers!

Post by adambongo »

Def Catcher in the Rye
Latest Review: "Holding Fire" by Ten Awesome Writers!
Somncrazy
Currently Reading: Love Letter to the Dead
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Somncrazy »

For me it was The Iliad. I already knew the story since my dad love to tell me Greek myths and war stories as bedtime stories. But I had never actually read the book and, since I'm a bit weird, I got the original translation in verse, instead of the easier to understand in prose. I completely fell in love with the world and the culture that drove the actions of the heroes, the sense of personal honor, the relationships between men and gods, the paraphernalia of war, the treatment of the dead when at war. It was fascinating, and looking back now, I think that fascination is the main reason I fell in love with high fantasy books later on. My taste in books is varied and I would read almost anything, but fantasy is what I love the most from high fantasy to urban fantasy to paranormal and paranormal romance, and all thanks to The Iliad.
luna_lovebooks
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luna-lovebooks.html

Post by luna_lovebooks »

I actually really enjoyed Lord of the Flies. The political messages it displays not only through children but in a way children can understand. I think that is why I also enjoyed Animal Farm.
Anjareis
Bookshelf Size: -1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anjareis.html

Post by Anjareis »

John Steinbeck's Of Mice and Men--I was required to read it in high school. I didn't really like it then, but it made an impression on me and, looking back on years of life experience, it makes so much more sense now.
Sarah_Khan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-khan.html
Latest Review: The Formidable King by Alyssa J. Montgomery

Post by Sarah_Khan »

I know it's a play but I enjoyed reading The Glass Menagerie by Tennessee Williams.
R_J_Shannon
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-r-j-shannon.html

Post by R_J_Shannon »

I always waited until the last minute to read the books we had to for school. But there were a few books that I really enjoyed. Uncle Tom's Cabin was one and To Kill A Mockingbird was another.
tortoise keeper
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tortoise-keeper.html
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel
Reading Device: B0192AFG7A

Post by tortoise keeper »

I enjoyed Edgar Allan Poe's short stories and poems. I also liked Leaves of Grass by Walt Whitman and most anything by Robert Frost. Poetry was not something that I would have picked to read on my own. Some of it didn't make much sense to me when I read it in highschool, but has become clearer as I have gotten older.
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel
heather_b

Post by heather_b »

I would have to say one of my favorite required books was "The Giver." I could not put it down. I could not make myself watch the movie. My second favorite would be "The Outsiders."
Domnall
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-domnall.html

Post by Domnall »

I would have to say that while doing my history major I enjoyed reading historical literature like The Epic of Gilgamesh and The Prince by Niccolo Machiavelli,or in lit classes books by Herman Hesse,who I need to introduce my son to. I was first introduced to my sci fi idol Ray Bradbury in junior high.
Anarala
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anarala.html
Latest Review: "A World Outside" by Daniella Rae

Post by Anarala »

I had two books that I absolutely could not put down. To the point where I would get in trouble for not paying attention to other things. Those two would be "The Giver" and "Death Be Not Proud" by John Gunther. The latter one being a book I never would have chosen to read on my own but am so glad that I did.
Latest Review: "A World Outside" by Daniella Rae
lmoses
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lmoses.html
Latest Review: "Incandescent" by Shannon Avangeline

Post by lmoses »

I enjoyed reading the Great Gatsby, Catch-22, Fahrenheit 451, and the Giver. These books were a lot of fun to have as required reading and so different then most that we had to read.
Latest Review: "Incandescent" by Shannon Avangeline
Loverockers
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... lations</a>
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-loverockers.html
Latest Review: "Contemplations" by Lisa M. Gott

Post by Loverockers »

Since I took Advanced Literature, I had to go through works like Beowulf and the Canterbury Tales. Neither made much sense while reading, but with some online guides, I found the stories to be rather interesting.
Latest Review: "Contemplations" by Lisa M. Gott

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”