Writing? IN BOOKS?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
sybil1reader
Favorite Author: All crime authors
Favorite Book: Too Many to name
Currently Reading: CJ Lyons
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sybil1reader.html
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin

Re: Writing? IN BOOKS?

Post by sybil1reader »

I have purchased textbooks with writing and underlining and I could deal with that. I cannot understand anyone writing in novels though. That and someone losing my book cover drives me crazy!
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin
dlachance9
Favorite Author: Tom Robbins
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dlachance9.html
Latest Review: "Warp and Weft" by Vinay Jalla
fav_author_id: 3036

Post by dlachance9 »

As must as I love taking notes, I do feel that writing in novels is somewhat disrespectful. I don't have a problem with writing in textbooks, though, because sometimes it's necessary for comprehension and retention.
Latest Review: "Warp and Weft" by Vinay Jalla
Girlcoupon29
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Girlcoupon29 »

I never wrote in any of my college books or novels, but at times I do write in my cookbooks... substitutions or I crosout a recipe that I did not like, wouldn't want to try it again, or I put a star if I really like it. But these are my own books, intended to keep forever and pass down.
Bookworm0266
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookworm0266.html
Latest Review: "Other (This title is supposed to have a checkmark in front of it, but the form disallowed it.)" by Cindy Campopiano

Post by Bookworm0266 »

I think if its a textbook then its okay. I'm fine with the notes and highlighting then because it can be very helpful. When I see it in ordinary books it really irks me. You can always tell that the previous owner had been trying to drink or eat while reading which is gross when it stains the book pages.
Latest Review: "Other (This title is supposed to have a checkmark in front of it, but the form disallowed it.)" by Cindy Campopiano
Winter
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-winter.html
Latest Review: "The 30-Day Writing Challenge" by Sara Crawford

Post by Winter »

When I was in college, I wrote in my books a lot as part of studying. At some point it started to bother me, though, so I stopped. One of the reasons I like ebooks is that I can highlight/take notes in them and then delete them all. I like my paper books to stay note free.
Latest Review: "The 30-Day Writing Challenge" by Sara Crawford
fari30
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fari30.html

Post by fari30 »

I just hate it when people write in the margins of books that they know other people will read. If it’s their own book that they bought with their own money and nobody else will be reading it, then I say, “Go write on the margins, highlight stuff, underline, GO NUTS!” but if it’s a library book for example, many other people will be reading it, so I don’t know why they don’t just take the time to think about that. And I have a very short attention span that only increases when I’m reading, so if you are going to write on the margins, I will hunt you down because the only thing that I can pay attention to a longer period of time is now being distracting!! So, basically, I hate it when people write on the books!
My weekend is all booked!
zsrahman
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zsrahman.html

Post by zsrahman »

If it's a school book or a text book, then I think its okay, but if its a reading book then I'm against writing in books.
Timea
Favorite Author: Edgar A. Poe
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =1580">The Dimension Scales and Other Stories</a>
Currently Reading: Arhipelagul Gulag I
Bookshelf Size: 242
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timea.html
Latest Review: "Murder Inc." by Christian Cipollini

Post by Timea »

It depends on the book... if it is a novel I don't write in it, I only use sticky notes (I can't read anything without sticky notes) but if it is a non-fiction book, I do tend to write on the margins or use a highlighter... But it makes me really angry too when people take notes in books that they do not own.
Latest Review: "Murder Inc." by Christian Cipollini
Uthar902
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uthar902.html

Post by Uthar902 »

I always hated to underline stuff in school in my books because a book for me was always something sacred which I didnt want to make dirty. Now though I think it very usefull at uni when I borrow a book and another person has already underlined the important passages haha
SidnayC
Favorite Book: I am yet to read a book worthy
Currently Reading: Inescapable by Amy Bartol
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sidnayc.html
Latest Review: "Vampire prince" by Iris van Gorp

Post by SidnayC »

With text books for an educational purpose I actually kind of like it... because things may be highlighted and explained in the book which I failed to spot
There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you - Maya Angelou
Latest Review: "Vampire prince" by Iris van Gorp
salberson 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salberson-10.html

Post by salberson 10 »

I will write in Shakespeare or simular if there is something I want to remember or look up but not otherwise
Ms silver snowflake
Favorite Author: John Green
Favorite Book: If i tell u i will have 2 kill u
Currently Reading: The History Of Love
fav_author_id: 2072

Post by Ms silver snowflake »

i would never like it if the book is borrowed, from another person or library ! But, if the book is owned then i think writing along the margins and top-corners is acceptable, rather it feels like an art piece, like a traveler's account, like journal notes, like a part of history! All those highlights and unreadable marginal notes seem beautiful(to me) as they tell so much about how the reader must be feeling while reading and it tells much more about the impact of the book on the reader !
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

I know so many people who do like to write notes in books and it's something I can't relate to. I like to keep my books in pristine conditions and writing in them feels like I am damaging it in some way. I have also borrowed books from people who have written in them and it always irritates me. The notes and writing are distracting.
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
Apogea
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-apogea.html

Post by Apogea »

I cannot stand writing or highlighting in books, even textbooks I can't stand it!
The only writing I am really okay with is the writing on the inside cover
j_anzualda
Currently Reading:

Post by j_anzualda »

Like say I pick a couple up from the thrift shop I wouldn't mind the writing it kind of makes me wonder who wrote it a and why and what day was it etc

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”