Writing? IN BOOKS?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Loverockers
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... lations</a>
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-loverockers.html
Latest Review: "Contemplations" by Lisa M. Gott

Re: Writing? IN BOOKS?

Post by Loverockers »

As long as it is for educational purposes, I'll allow it, otherwise, no way. Lol.
Latest Review: "Contemplations" by Lisa M. Gott
MsMartha
Currently Reading: Collected Works of Algernon Blackwood (Unabridged)
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msmartha.html
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by MsMartha »

I agree that writing in a book isn't a good thing--but I have an exception. I love old, antique books--not necessarily famous or terribly valuable ones, just old ones that someone owned and read. When I find notes and comments in these books it seems to make them more interesting and special.
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
Rhoe_Marrow
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhoe-marrow.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by Rhoe_Marrow »

if the book belongs to me, then I don't have a problem writing in it. if it is a book I know I will give away, sell, or if it is a library book. then I feel it is bad manners to write in them.
To me Books are like memories, sometimes I will write a little something down in them, or underline a quote that really speaks to me at the time. Then several years later I will re-read the book, see the writing or quote and somehow this book will hold an even deeper meaning to me, because then I will realize that this was one of the books that helped shape the person I am today.
lmoses
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lmoses.html
Latest Review: "Incandescent" by Shannon Avangeline

Post by lmoses »

I HATE when people write in books! I do not write in my books and if someone says they write in books, I do not loan my books to them. I understand wanting to take notes or mark pages/quotes, so I have a note pad that I keep with that information instead of writing in the book!
Latest Review: "Incandescent" by Shannon Avangeline
Insomniac07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insomniac07.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Insomniac07 »

I can't understand how people can hate writing in books. I love picking up an old book with tons of writing or markings. It's like a glimpse into the mind of the other reader. I like seeing what paragraphs or lines others enjoyed.
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

I recently came across something that is related to writing in books that absolutely horrified me! I like to make collages and scrapbooks, and I saw an online tutorial that advised turning an old book into a scrapbook/collage book by gluing pictures all over the pages! Ugh!!! You've just ruined a perfectly good book that someone could have enjoyed!!! I will never do that! That is what blank notebooks and journals are for!

I apologize for going off-topic, but this thread reminded me of that tutorial. I watched it a few days ago and I'm still not happy about it! :evil:
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
Annelore Trujillo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 170
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annelore-trujillo.html
Latest Review: The Siberians by Simon J. Carey

Post by Annelore Trujillo »

I hate writing in books! I don't even write in my school textbooks. I almost feel like it's disrespectful to the book. We were always taught that you don't do anything that damages the book in any way. If you want to point something out, use a sticky note or bookmark. Don't write in the book.
Sarah_Khan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-khan.html
Latest Review: The Formidable King by Alyssa J. Montgomery

Post by Sarah_Khan »

I actually kind of enjoy reading the notes some people leave behind. As long as it's not written on the actual writing of the book and it's not anything vulgar or obscene. It's interesting to see what other people thought were the important parts of the book or what their thoughts on it were.
jamesabr
Currently Reading: The Gulf
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamesabr.html
Latest Review: "Adam Exitus" by Nicholas Abdilla
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by jamesabr »

If I own the book, I write my thoughts concerning the characters, events, and overall plot constantly. I even highlight certain sections if I think that they're significant to my understanding. I've done so ever since I discovered active reading in high school.
Latest Review: "Adam Exitus" by Nicholas Abdilla
angelbeats1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angelbeats1.html
Latest Review: Iran Before . . . by Dennis Briskin

Post by angelbeats1 »

It pains me to ruin a book by writing in it with my messy handwriting. I have tried it in the past and I always get distracted when I reread the books and stopping to write notes in my book takes too long. The only time I like writing in books is if they are textbooks. I don't care if I ruin textbooks haha.
Jennifer Allsbrook
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading: An American Hedge Fund
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-allsbrook.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by Jennifer Allsbrook »

sherlyholmes wrote:How do you feel about writing in books? By that, I mean, when people write little notes in the margin or underline specific passages. People writing in books happens to be my biggest pet peeve. It's just one of those small things that make me irrationally angry. How do you feel about it?
If the book belongs to me and I find the need to makes notes in the margin, underline, or highlight, then I will do so. This is only the case in text books however. I have never found the need in works of fiction. My teacher's edition of my Biology text has notations in multiple colors written at different times. I mark things that I want to emphasize with my students. I try to reread chapters on particularly difficult content to refresh the information or to focus my teaching. I would never write in a book that was not mine or that was to be reused.
Insightsintobooks
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks.html
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks »

I mainly get annoyed by writing in books but occasionally would do so in a college textbook but mainly for me it's a big no, that and dog earing pages.
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
MadLibraryScientist
Currently Reading: Sherlock, Lupin, and Me
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-madlibraryscientist.html
Latest Review: The Wall by Some Guy

Post by MadLibraryScientist »

While it's not something I do personally, I don't have a problem with people writing in books. As long as it's a book they personally own. Don't do this to library books. But I've only ever done this with textbooks.
Latest Review: The Wall by Some Guy
bluerose
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluerose.html

Post by bluerose »

That's like spitting on a babies head. When I see this it makes me angry. I don't think anybody should wreck a book in that way. Writing in books alongside dog earing pages is a big no no.
Christina_Martinnn
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-martinnn.html

Post by Christina_Martinnn »

I highlight, star, and make notes in my novels for school. However, I would not dare touch a leisure book in that way. No idea what made me that way, but that's what I do.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”