Writing? IN BOOKS?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Erik
Currently Reading: Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
Bookshelf Size: 10

Re: Writing? IN BOOKS?

Post by Erik »

No.. I'd never write in, highlight, underline, etc. any book I am reading for pleasure. I didn't even do so with the texts I bought for university... I just relied on my rather odd memory and in-lecture note taking.
I rarely make use of public libraries now, but when I did, it used to infuriate me when I signed out a book only to find that some twit had defaced it's pages. If the markings were in pencil, I'd erase them. If in pen, I'd report the vandalism to the librarian when I next went in to the library.
greywalker
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ndation</a>
Currently Reading: The Mysticism of Paul the Apostle
Bookshelf Size: 133

Post by greywalker »

I was brought up to believe that taking good care of my things meant NOT writing in books. I still don't. However, I understand why people might do that. My priest has let me borrow a large number of his personal books, and he has written all over them. I have found it interesting to read his notes and comments even though I would never dream of doing so myself even if the book belonged to me.
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

This is a big pet peeve of mine when it's in a library book. I can't help but wonder why someone would write in a book that doesn't even belong to them!
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
the biblophile
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by the biblophile »

I do not write in antique books or hard backs, but the cheap paperbacks I will some times write favorite quotes or passages on the back side of the front cover.
Lilapo9
Favorite Author: Diane Duane
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 29675">The Ministry of Cantors</a>
Currently Reading: Handbook for Cantors
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lilapo9.html
Latest Review: "Memory of Miracles" by Beth Durkee
Reading Device: B00EM3WGYY
fav_author_id: 4363

Post by Lilapo9 »

At this point in time I generally do write in the margins of the physical books that I have bought. I do not allow myself to write in others' books that I borrow. Instead I tend to journal those books summarizing them paragraph by paragraph like an explorer afraid of missing any detail. Then when I am finished I have my details about the book that I can draw on for future reference. I am not generally gifted with reading for pleasure so reading for me takes up a lot of time. I really do enjoy it when I can sit down with a good book just for the sake of reading for pleasure.
wagers46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wagers46.html

Post by wagers46 »

Writing in books causes me actual physical pain.
The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Researcher »

No No and No. I hate it when people do that
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
msmillennial
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msmillennial.html

Post by msmillennial »

I used to REALLY hate it when there was writing in a book. I think part of that grew from similar feeligs were expressed in the "Inkheart" series by multiple characters. I have an incredible amount of respect for books and the work put into writing and publishing them.
I'm high school, my English teacher made us write in our books. We were required to purchase a copy of the book, and annotate in the margins, high light, and record thoughts. IN THE ACTUAL BOOK! I was completely appalled by the idea. After we were finished with the book, we were required to turn it in so she could see our thoughts. With this process, I really learned to notice symbolism and alliteration as well as different ways of developing opinions about plot and characters. I would never write in a loaner book, or a nice hardcover copy. I rarely write in them anymore, but I did learn to accept it and use it to help my reading!
Cowgirl888
Currently Reading: The 13th Demon
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cowgirl888.html

Post by Cowgirl888 »

No matter what kind of books they are i never write in them because I consider it vandalism.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I pretty much avoid writing in books unless it is a workbook. I don't think it would bother me too much if it was just a small note here and there, but if it was throughout, it would be REALLY annoying.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Lilapo9
Favorite Author: Diane Duane
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 29675">The Ministry of Cantors</a>
Currently Reading: Handbook for Cantors
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lilapo9.html
Reading Device: B00EM3WGYY
fav_author_id: 4363

Post by Lilapo9 »

kandscreeley wrote:I pretty much avoid writing in books unless it is a workbook. I don't think it would bother me too much if it was just a small note here and there, but if it was throughout, it would be REALLY annoying.
I have to admit I am a little backwards there. I tend to write in books but not in workbooks. I get those college ruled composition books to write the questions and answers down in from workbooks. That way I can reuse or revisit the workbook at a later date and continue to learn from it.
hazelk

Post by hazelk »

I have never written in any book and find it most annoying that people would deface a book by doing so, I will tag a page to look back on if needed.
Scerakor
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Post by Scerakor »

It really depends on the book and my intent for the book. My 1885 copy of Dickens? No. A book that I specifically read to study, decrypt, and work on; I have no problem with that. Evidently the book needs to be mine (not borrowed) and intended solely for that purpose.
BookishBookkeeping
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Currently Reading: Atlas Shrugged
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishbookkeeping.html
Latest Review: "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by BookishBookkeeping »

Personally I have no issues writing in my non fiction books but my fiction books I usually don't. Unless some phrase stands out then I might underline it, but for the most part I usually write it down. Now when it comes to a public book that is a huge NO NO! It doesn't belong to you so there should be respect shown for it.
Latest Review: "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman
Storygamer88
Currently Reading: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Bookshelf Size: 365
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-storygamer88.html
Latest Review: "A Town Called Gonefor" by Wesley Cris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Storygamer88 »

I generally dislike it. It rarely adds anything beyond the original author's intent and it distracts a lot.
Hi all. I like board games, card games, video games, books (especially children's books and mysteries), stories, cartoons, anime, manga, light novels, animation, and other light-hearted, fun things. Feel free to message if you want to chat!
Latest Review: "A Town Called Gonefor" by Wesley Cris

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”